Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
HWH Jack Spring Removal

I am looking for a good procedure to remove and install HWH Jack springs. Other than the push, pull & grut method.
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
do a search on this forum "replacing HWH springs" and you'll find a post with pictures using angle iron and 1/4 inch threaded rod. In the same thread, one person did it by using clothes pins. I'd provide the link, but not sure how to do it!

Good luck
56safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tjshively,
I use the cloths pin method.
1. Extend the jacks all the way.
2. Put cloths pins on each spring coil
3. Retract the jacks. One may need to provide a bit of help to get the jacks to retract.
4. Put the new spring in a bench vise.
5. Bend the spring and place cloths pins in each coil as it is exposed to the bending. One will need to bend the spring both ways to put cloths pins on both sides of the spring.
6. Install the new springs on the jack. One may need to extend the jack to get both ends of the spring in the fastening hole.
7. Extend the jack all the way. Remove the cloths pins.
8. The springs should now be ready to provide the correct spring tension.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #4

Four bolts remove the entire jack, remove the Hyd line ( no fluid leaks out )
Compress the jack to the right remove the spring, compress the jack to the left remove the spring. Reverse the procedure to install new springs and re install Less that 30 min per jack and no effort ( used an electric impact wrench)
Old 10-02-2014, 04:45 AM   #5

Are you sure the springs need replacing? I thought the same because of them not retracting properly. I was told to extend the jacks then give the pistons a good cleaning with WD40. Run them back up, then back down again, and clean again. I was stunned by the amount of gunk I got on the rag even though the pistons looked clean and shiney. Be sure to wipe them off completely or the WD40 will be like a dirt magnet. Any way my HWH system is now over 14yrs. old, has the original springs and still works fine. I also now do this at least once a year.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:27 AM   #6

I used a come-a-long with a small string attached to the spring. Pulled on spring and with a screw driver pop the spring out. Put the new one in the same way.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Four bolts remove the entire jack, remove the Hyd line ( no fluid leaks out )
Compress the jack to the right remove the spring, compress the jack to the left remove the spring. Reverse the procedure to install new springs and re install Less that 30 min per jack and no effort ( used an electric impact wrench)
What ?
was this post made in jest that is a lot of work for a simple job. A friend of mine did the front springs. He litterally took the new springs in hand crawled under the bus and had both sides changed in less than 5 minutes

There is a post somewhere that the poster describes changing the back springs by taking a small hydraulic jack under one side of the plate at the bottom of the jack. He jacks that side up until the spring is loose and then takes it off. Lets his jack down and the other spring will come right off. He then reverses the procedure to put the spring on. Put one side on and then jack up the plate until he can slide the spring on to it.

The plates are just held on by the spring so you can tilt them enough to get pressure completely off of one side.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Take 2 large screwdrivers. Place 1 on each side of the central pin 0n the foot plate. Push down to release the pin and slide the plate off to one side. Replace the springs and do the reverse. Simple - take more effort to line up the pin on reinstall
Old 10-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #9

I believe there has been changes over the years in the tension of the HWH springs. I have had only straight jacks on my two RV's. On my first one, those springs were so hard to pull down I could not do anything with them. I had to extend them and use shims to stretch them out. On my current RV, the I could just grab the springs pull them down and that was it. I was able to change all 8 springs in about 10 minutes.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, removal