Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
hwh jacks

Help!!! I am having problems with the hwh hydraulic jacks not storing under a load,i have to retract them by operating the manual t handles on the soloniods. has anyone had similar problems. shuttle valve ect. thanks ian.

flyingrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Not certain where you are located, but I have had nothing but great service from them at the factory and on the phone. There was a time if you were at the factory over lunch they would load you in a van take you to lunch and even pay for it. I understand that they no longer do it. Found their rates very reasonable

sip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello flyingrver and . We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
I do not know what system you have but if you have a control box with a clear cover; have you checked the fuses? Do you see any flashing red leds? You might call HWH and have a tech help you diagnose the problem.
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Thanks. I am located in washington state. I will call the factory as suggested, thanks to the posts i down loaded the service manual, looks like either the soloniods are bad or the batteries are weak thanks for the reply.
flyingrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
HWH;; My experiance; We were on an Alaskan caravan, In Whitehorse our slide would not come in. Well after releasing the little T valves Like they said and hooking Up the winch under the couch Like the manufacture said. we got ti in;; Anyway From Whitehorse. I called HWH told them MY problem. Our next stop was 3 days later in Dawuson city, When we got there The motor was there. It was a nasty job but I removed the old not and put the new one on. Works perfect; Now the rest of the story; When I got back to Seattle I took the starter apart, The end were the brushes were mounted Got hot and malted What should have been bakalite was Plastic; Not HWH fault But the motor manufactures. In Seattle I took the Motor to a Well knowen shop to have it repaired, A Friend Most of you in the Winnebago Cercil was there,It cost me more to repair it then the New Motor cost from HWH>>.. I have no affileation With any one. Call HWH have them walk you through the problem, You will be happy, The solution cannot be found around the campfire; To many know it alls..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Hi flyingrver,
Welcome to iRV2. Can you tell us if the jacks will not retract at all or they stop retracting an inch or two from fully retracted?

If you spray lubricant on the jack cylinder, do the jacks store or at least store farther than before spraying?

The year of your coach and if the springs are tapered or straight at each end will also help provide possible solutions. This is a response I got from HWH yesterday:

The way to find out if the springs are the problem would be to let the jack retract as far as it is going to on it's own and see if you can push the jack up by hand with a little force. If you have to put a lot of force into pushing the jack up then get it back into that position and remove the hydraulic line from the top of the jack and see what happens. If the jack stays put then the issue is with the jack and it will have to be replaced or sent into HWH for repair. If the jack releases on it's own then the issue up the line someplace. If it is the jack that is the issue you can order a new a new cylinder. Right now we are looking at about eight weeks lead time on the cylinder. The second option is to send you part in for repair. The maximum it would cost for the repair is going to be $254.80, keep in mind that is the maximum it will cost for the repair and it will take about four weeks to turn this part around.

Fortunately, I think the problem of not fully retracting is the springs. I ordered a new set of springs for each jack. I have an 05 coach and the springs are tapered on each end.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I also have a jack retracting problem. I had to use a lot of force until I discovered the "T" handles. Now I let them retract until they stop and then open the "T" handles and using a 2 x 4 as leverage I can push them the rest of the way up fairly easy. I also think it is the springs which I plan on replacing soon.

Lynda & Ronny Sarasota, Florida
2005 DutchStar DP 3809
Sammy (Brussels Griffon\Maltese)
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote