Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #15

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK Here's today's summary. The jacks were down overnite and this morning were all up and all lights off within 3 minutes, the temperature was 70 degrees. I put them back down and sprayed them with WD40, wiped it off and sprayed again with silicone. I tried them up and down again, perfect opperation. I left them down until 4:00pm when the temperature had risen to 94 degrees. The left rear was up in about 3 minutes, the other 3 were still on the jack pads after 20 minutes. I sprayed the cylinders and pried them up. Once they are about half way, they go by themselves up to the retracted position. I put them back down again then hit the store button. Same results, left rear up quickly and the rest still on the pads 20 minutes later. Frustrating, the only thing I am questioning now is the fluid. Its up to the mark on the reservoir dipstick/cap so it's not lack of fluid nor excessive fluid. Does this fluid expand/contract with temperature changes? Can this fluid absorb moisture and what would the effects be. I know transmission fluid can expand as I sent some out the overflow on a long grade with the old GM 3 speed in my Itasca. What's inside the cylinder, I know there will be seals, but are there bushings etc to keep things lined up when the ram goes in & out? If I can't get these things to work properly, I will go back to boards & ramps to get level, just like I did for the past 33 years on my other motorhomes.

Thanks in advance for your input.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
My HWH jacks also retract slowly. My solution is to start the MH, hit the store button and give them enough time to clear the ground by about 5 inches and off I go. Of course I only do this if the ground and roads are level so there is no chance of hooking a jack. By the time I am ready to exit the Park they are all stored and the lights are out.
Did you silence the audible alarm? Ours is so loud you wouldnt dare do that.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Did you silence the audible alarm? Ours is so loud you wouldnt dare do that.
I guess mine is not that loud, at least I can tolerate it. I can't imagine waiting that long for the jacks to come up with a LOUD warning going off while I wait.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #18

Chuck, the alarm only goes off if I start the engine. I dont. I wait for the jacks to go up completely. Funny, when we bought the motorhome in Houston, Tx, we got about 5 miles from the dealer when the red light on the dask and the audible alarm went screeching.. Didnt know what was happening. So we pulled off the freeway and found a parking lot to call the dealer to ask about the alarm.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #19

Bluegrassor, is it possible you have too much fluid in the system? When it expands with heat of the day, there is no room for the fluid to go? I would call HWH and ask them about this issue.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #20

I had one jack that wouldn't retract and I also had to pry it up. Called HWH and they suggested I needed a new jack. I was about to remove it and I thought I would try spraying with silicone. I was skeptical as HWH suggests not spraying with anything. Much to my surprise it worked like a charm! I believe the problem is tight seals in the jack assembly. I used "Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry, Wax Lubricant". All my jacks are retracting as they should.

Perhaps if you could get your jacks extended a little farther and spray the whole piston this would help. Good Luck.

Ron
Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have read previously that the HWH jacks are of a zero bleedby design, in that the fluid does not lubricate the seals, so I would think that they would certainly need an external lubrication from time to time. Maybe I heard that fact wrong?

Keith
Old 06-14-2011, 07:14 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Never tried that type of oil but tried almost all others and didnt work .took jack down to hydraulic shop in Ottawa and for 125.$ replaced the seals .now it works great .
njoylife is offline   Reply With Quote