Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
HWH Jacks not working

I have a 1991 Southwind p30 chassis. My jacks were working a couple weeks ago and just a few minutes ago I was trying to jack and got the two rear down and then the solenoid just started clicking. I have got 13 volt to the pump through the solenoid. What's the problem here?
Bcollier9253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Commercial Member

13 volt do not give you a good battery load reading, if you are using a volt meter. you need to measure the amps. it takes 105 amps to start and run a pump motor at the proper rpm. try starting your engine and run the jacks. the alternator will supply enough amps. if that doesnt work, check all your grounds. download a service manual for your system at hwh.com. it will walk you thru the diagnosis.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have owned 4 coaches with HWH jacks. Any time I have had problems like you describe it turned out to be a low voltage problem. It could be a bad ground or bad cable. Put your voltage meter on the main lead to the motor and check it while it is clicking. I suspect you will find your voltage will jump back and forth. Was you engine running when you had the problem? If not try that approach. If all else fails give HWH a call at 800-321-3494 and get their suggestions. They have been very helpful when I have called them. Good luck and I encourage you post the solution to your problem as we all learn from each other.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Starting the engine nothing for it
Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Commercial Member

actually, for most manufacturers, hwh systems operate off the engine battery. if you run your system in accessory, or with just the key on, and your battery is near marginal, you sometimes will not get the 105 amps needed to run the pump motor at proper speed. with the engine running, the alternator assures that you are getting adequate amperage.
yes you can run your jacks and rooms without running the engine, but you assure proper amperage when you do have the engine running.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I checked the amps and it was 6 amps with the engine running and 13 volts
Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

I don't now if this will be any help, but , when I had trouble with my HWH system it traced back to a corroded fuse holder. An in-line 40 amp fuse, near the pump, the fuse cover was no longer water tight, and the corrosion stopped the power.
Before I found and fixed the problem, the only way to work the levelers was to supply the system with power via jumper cables from the toad.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I checked out the fuse holder it was fine and no corrosion. The only thing is, it is a 10 amp fuse. Like I said earlier, it has been working fine up until now. I have also pulled all the grounds off and everything was fine there.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
Commercial Member

the 105 amps i was referring to is when the jack extend is activated. that the only to load test the pump motor . sorry if i was unclear.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
Commercial Member

the inline fuse near the motor in a #10 blue wire should be 40 amps.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the input guys. The problem ended up being the stainless steel ground stud going up through the frame into the bottom of the pump. It looked fine the first time I took it out, but after taking the motor apart and cleaning corrosion from behind the brushes backing plate and emory cloth to the armature shaft, lubing the shaft bearing it still didn't work. It would spin while being energized with a battery charger but not the chassis battery. Pulled the stud out again and ran a tap up into the threads put it back together and Bingo!! it works
Old 05-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good job!
RonPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Commercial Member

thank you for posting what you found and repaired. . lots of guys post about their problems, but not many post the fix.
that helps others who have similar problems. we all learn something when this happens thanks again
Old 05-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Is there a solution for Power Gear jacks....short of replacement?
I made 5" tall pads, it takes away excessive travel and distributes the weight but the jacks won't level the coach and they freak out the control pad. With each use I need to to 'reset' the system and play games to get the jacks to retract.
Cochran14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks