Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Cool HWH Jacks/slides

I have a "04 Adventurer, and recently, began having to wait several minutes with the engine idling before I can extend or retract the 3 slides. The jacks work fine, slow on storing, but otherwise good. Maybe 2 weeks before I can get a response from HWH. Anyone have experience with thus issue?
jim.cooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Check the hyd fluid level
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #3

Spray and wipe jacks with WD 40 as called for by HWH. Works very well. Also, good batteries or shore power will also power slides and jacks without running engine.
Gary737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #4

When cleaning the jacks, fully extend the jack, spray liberally the WD-40, use a toothbrush to get a good seal cleaning, spray again, and wipe the WD-40 off.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everyone is talking about the jacks; OP doesn't have a problem with the jacks. Yes, they store slow; not a problem. Yes, cleaning them helps a bit (I give mine a spray of silicone occasionally when they are down; WD40 attracts more dirt), but ALL HWH jacks store slow because the springs are the only thing that retract them, having to force the hydraulic fluid back into the system.

Now, for the actual problem the OP is asking about: You say you have to wait several minutes with the engine idling before the slides work. Is that only after being parked (engine off) for awhile? HWH systems don't like low voltage; after driving, when you first stop, do they operate OK? What exactly happens when you hit the slide button? Nothing at all? I had an issue with my HWH slides where I could hit the button (in or out) 15-20 times and nothing at all would happen, then suddenly, with the next press it worked fine. Turned out to be a bit of corrosion on a couple of fuses in the control box (behind the clear plexiglass panel on the main hydraulic unit).
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
Commercial Member

winnebago normalluyconnects the jacks and slides to the chassis battery. this is mfg choice, not hwh. hwh prefers the chassis battery connection. run the engine while using either slides or jacks. if your battery is marginal, the alternator will help make up the difference in demand.
if you have to hit the slide switch several times, check the back of the switch. those switches are notoriously bad. i carry one with me all the time, just for that reason.
its a winnebago part not hwh.
the slide problem could be low fluid, but the pump should run anyway. it sounds like an electrical problem. download a service manual, and go thru the checks.
if you need further help, please call me at 602-549-3638 paul maddox
i do work for hwh. i help with diagnostics.
i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks, slide