Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HWH jacks won't go down

I have a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer. All of a sudden my HWH jacks won't go down, pump running, no jack movement. Worked fine at the beginning of May. No obvious leaks. The slides work fine. So that eliminates low fluid, broken hose, bad pump. That leaves a bad solenoid, bypass valve or pressure switch. How do I trouble shoot the problem further? I am at a campground for two weeks with my rig tipped to the large slide-out side.

I sent an email to HWH with the same info. Hoping you guys will respond faster than HWH usually does. Not looking forward to leaving the campground and taking it to TCRV in Traverse City for who-knows-how-long, if they can even squeeze me in. I have replaced solenoids, hoses and jack cylinders on my own.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I have a 2002 Winnebago Adventurer. All of a sudden my HWH jacks won't go down, pump running, no jack movement. Worked fine at the beginning of May. No obvious leaks. The slides work fine. So that eliminates low fluid, broken hose, bad pump. That leaves a bad solenoid, bypass valve or pressure switch. How do I trouble shoot the problem further? I am at a campground for two weeks with my rig tipped to the large slide-out side.

I sent an email to HWH with the same info. Hoping you guys will respond faster than HWH usually does. Not looking forward to leaving the campground and taking it to TCRV in Traverse City for who-knows-how-long, if they can even squeeze me in. I have replaced solenoids, hoses and jack cylinders on my own.

I recently had an issue with my lippert jacks not going down and found that some gravel had got on the jack plates and jammed the rams. Removed the gravel and reset the jacks (calibration to zero) and all works fine. Don't know if this could be your issue but wanted to add my experience. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:12 PM   #3

See if you can get in touch with az Pete here

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...4&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
wingnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Commercial Member

ive attached a 325 and a 625 leveling system service manual. use it to diagnose the problem. there isnt a quick easy fix for some of these problems,
it could be a lot of different things. so just start with a 12 volt tester and go thru the list. if you didnt get the manual, go to the hwh website and download the one you need. or email me at pfmaddox@att.net and i will send you one. let me know which one.
paul
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Called HWH, they are 3-4 WEEKS out on a return call from tech support and 2-3 days for a return call from parts. No comment.

So I pulled the shuttle valve and cleaned it as best I could without a spanner wrench to disassemble it. A few small pieces of rubber in it, didn’t look big enough to cause a problem. O rings were slightly worn, but not too bad. Reassembled it, now IT WORKS! Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
It works, that's great. If it acts up again do contact AZPete. He helped us greatly when we were three thousand miles from home. He talked me through a trouble shooting problem and I was able to get the slides in. I can't speak highly enough about the help he provided.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Called HWH, they are 3-4 WEEKS out on a return call from tech support and 2-3 days for a return call from parts. No comment.

So I pulled the shuttle valve and cleaned it as best I could without a spanner wrench to disassemble it. A few small pieces of rubber in it, didn’t look big enough to cause a problem. O rings were slightly worn, but not too bad. Reassembled it, now IT WORKS! Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Thanks for responding back.

I will have to remember this, in case it happens to me.

You can order an o ring kit so you'll have it on hand, for one of the just in case moments.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, it did it again, so here I sit in FL for two months with my slides out and the coach rocking back and forth with the jacks up. Just for grins I filled out the issue form Saturday at the HWH website, expecting weeks for them to get back to me. Lo and behold Joe got back to me Monday morning. Here is his response:

Good morning Ole

It is possible it is a shuttle valve, but it is also possible it is the pump and without a pressure gauge it is difficult to say for sure. If you can get a hold of a pressure gauge that will read 5000 PSI you can go to the pump and remove the U tube that is tying two 90 degree fittings together and put the pressure gauge on the fitting that screws direct into the manifold. Then run the pump and see what you pump pressure is. If the pressure is between 3300 and 3500 PSI then the shuttle valve is the issue. If it is down around 1000 to 1500 PSI then the issue is the pump and it will have to be replaced.

If by chance it is the shuttle valve the part you will need is an
RAP7964 and it will cost you $73.50 plus freight and I do have them in stock. Chances are real good it is the shuttle valve but I would like this test done before you buy something and it may not fix your issue.
If it is the pump I will need the AP# off the tank in order to* tell you which one you will need.

Thank you

Joe Portell
i

Don't want to mess with locating a hose, fittings and 0-5000 psi gauge, so I am going to order the valve and hope that does it.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #9

CJ7 - did you take Azpete up on his offer to help you? He is an employee (tech) of HWH and has helped 100s of members here, including me, for free - right away, not weeks away. He told you how to get the manuals by going to hwhcorp.com and find the manual for the model that you have. They have good troubleshooting sections. Once you get the right manual, look through and try the troubleshooting, then you call Paul (azpete) for help. If he doesn't answer leave a msg and he'll call you back promptly. pfmaddox@att.net or call him at 602-549-3638
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #10

You might have the same issue my '02 had. A poor ground connection. Now mine affected the slides, but it could affect the jacks too or be related.

Here's a pic of the ground connection my HWH system uses. Once you find yours, if yours is like mine, whack it with a rubber mallet and see if your jacks work again. If they do, then you need to take all the ring terms off and clean them, along with cleaning the stud. Mine broke when I tried to take it off so I drilled new holes and added 8-32 SS screws to hold the ring terminals.

Here's the link to my blog article so check to see if it matches yours...HWH Hydraulic slides and jacks

Well, it won't display the picture for some reason, but it can be found at the link. It shows the welded on stud that holds all the ground wires from the HWH hydraulic controller under the LR slide.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:58 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
You might have the same issue my '02 had. A poor ground connection. Now mine affected the slides, but it could affect the jacks too or be related.

Here's a pic of the ground connection my HWH system uses. Once you find yours, if yours is like mine, whack it with a rubber mallet and see if your jacks work again. If they do, then you need to take all the ring terms off and clean them, along with cleaning the stud. Mine broke when I tried to take it off so I drilled new holes and added 8-32 SS screws to hold the ring terminals.

Here's the link to my blog article so check to see if it matches yours...HWH Hydraulic slides and jacks

Well, it won't display the picture for some reason, but it can be found at the link. It shows the welded on stud that holds all the ground wires from the HWH hydraulic controller under the LR slide.
Nice write-up Jim. I will check the grounds tomorrow. Meanwhile I still have the shuttle valve coming.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #12

Is everything else working? My previous rig was the same as yours (2002) and I had a jack problem as well. Turned out to be a 15A fuse located under the dash, labeled as "Acces Radio" or something like that on a diagram that I had. The same fuse worked the power drivers window, defroster fans, and radio, as well as the jacks, so perhaps check those items. Replaced fuse and everything worked, happened twice in 6 years.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"CJ7ole".....Well you did what I would have done, buy the valve since it's reasonably priced. I'm sure it's cheaper than a 5K pressure gauge or a mechanic at $100 per hour. If it doesn't work, you know what is needed. Good luck.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I followed Jim's suggestion regarding the ground wire stud. Suggestion to next person doing it: Don't rely on the weld to hold against removing a stubborn nut. Mine broke. Fortunately I was able to get a drill in there and drill through the 3/16" frame and put a nut on the back. I found a 3/8" locking nut in my hardware box, and the weld hadn't buggered up the threads enough so the nut wouldn't start straight. That was a win. 3/16" pilot hole followed by a 3/8" to fit the stud. I used a Dremel with a tiny sanding sleeve to get to bare metal on the frame. Then I greased up the front and back before running the nut down tight.

With the stud now firmly in place I was able to get the nut off. Then the seven ground rings. Again using the Dremel, I cleaned the corrosion off the rings, greased them and ran the old nut down on them completing the ground repair. I tried the jacks and they worked. I am not positive it was a ground issue so I am still going to replace the shuttle valve when it is delivered. Thanks Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump ground.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	237050  

Tags
hwh, jacks