Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2012, 05:51 AM   #1

HWH jacks wont retract

Hi all! I have a 2004 Itasca horizon 40KD. My jacks will not retract. I have checked/replaced fuses. I have added fluid. Any ideas?
Serickson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #2

Call HWH, They will walk you thru a solution. Had mine not retract on our CA trip. Their Tech help was great.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #3

Thank you! Will call them!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #4

If you leave the unit on store mode more than 5 minutes it could burn the jack coils. Also you might try cracking the fitting on one of the jacks and see if it comes up.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #5

Good luck with calling HWH. I called them over a month ago; was told I could leave a number and someone would call me back. No call, so two weeks later, I call again and explain that I had already left a number; was again assured that someone would call me back. Also e-mailed my problem around this same time, hoping that would get a quicker response. As of today, still nothing from HWH.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #6

We once had the same problem. It was the fuses in the control panel (local to the pump and solenoids) that were bad, turned out being the solenoids were also bad. At the time our used motorhome (but under warranty) needed them replaced. The dealer sent me four and I replaced them myself.
Like others have noted if the system is on too long they can heat up and burn out causing the fuses to go bad.

Call HWH, they have been always helpful to us.

You can also retract them manually by loosening the 1/4" nut at the end of the solenoid. This will allow the fluid back to the storage tank.

I now carry a small nut driver, spare fuses and labeled my solenoids for future reference.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #7

It is possible that your circuit board has gone out. Is this a Power Gear system? I am not sure if your system is the same as mine, but in an emergency, you can disconnect the wires from the circuit board that go to your pump and provide 12 volts to the solenoids which will open them up. You might have one more solenoid than jacks. That extra solenoid is for the return oil to your tank. You will have to open up that solenoid, plus the solenoid that has the jack that is down. For a wiring diagram, just go to Power Gear web site.

I was forced to do this once when my board went out and I could not move my jacks.
Marshmellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #8

Try cranking the engine, hold the brake and release the parking brake, The jacks have a safety feature that retracts the jacks when the parking brake is released.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #9

Thanks for all of the replays and help. Based on the suggestions I got the jacks up. Now my issue is that the slides won't come in.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I was lucky when I bought my coach about a month ago in that it came with all the manuals and paperwork. I too, had a problem retracting the slide. I had read that in order to extend the slide that the engine had to be off. I guess that I should have inferred that the engine also had to be off to retract the slide, but I am not quite that bright. If you are trying to retract it with the engine on, try what worked for me.
Vulture47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

Had a HWH jack that would not come up, Called and left a number and they returned a call within 45 min. Had me try two things and they called me back in an hour and neither resolved the problem. HWH sent me a new jack at NO CHARGE ( coach is 14 mths old. New one was installed within 30 min and works perfectly. Thank you HWH for your fine service