Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #1

HWH Leveler Help Needed

1996 Holiday Rambler Imperial, Spartan Chassis, HWH Levelers.
Since purchasing this coach about 14 months ago, the right front leveler has, when retracted, remained about two or three inches extended. But the warning light went out and the travel light came on. Using a 2x4 as a lever, I was unable to make it retract further. On occasion, however, it would retract all the way.
The other day it did just that, it retract all the way. The next day I again used the levelers and it retracted its usual, remaining out about 2 or 3 inches and the extended warning light was out. I, with my inability to leave well enough alone, went and got my floor jack, put it under that leveler and proceeded to push it up. When it went it made a horrible metal on metal screeching noise and went all the way in. I now have a jack fully retracted but the extended warning light is illuminated. I have not tried to move the jack for fear that it might fail to retract leaving me stranded.
Questions: Why did the warning light go out when the jack was still extended those couple of inches?
What might have been preventing it from retracting all the way?
What damage have I likely done when I forced it into the fully retracted position?
Residential zoning has me quite restricted on working on the coach (36 hours per week) so I would appreciate any wisdom on damage assessment and repair. Thanks in advance for your help.
DonL
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are a few things that will prevent the jack from raising all the way. The springs on the jack has gotten tired and no longer can pull the jack up. The Piston may have some gunk or rust on it which stops the retraction. There is also theh posibility that the piston has become slightly warped.

Assuming you have checked the hydraulic fluid levels, and they are ok. I would inspect the piston when they are extended and look for any signs on it which may be causing the problem.

Concerning the noise and the lights. Someone else may have an idea about that
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The O rings around the piston will get twisted and bind the piston from rising, a new jack maybe your only remedy.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
Commercial Member

i would replace that cylinder along with the warning switch.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #5

If you had the HWH panel off when you used the hyd jack, it probably damaged the jack and/or the solenoid. If the system was in the "retract" mode nothing should have been damaged that was not already in jeoprody.
I agree with the others, call HWH and buy a rebuilt jack.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh