Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #1

HWH Levelers

I have a rear leveler that will not retract all the way. Have cleaned and oiled shaft, still will only retract about 4 inches. can put floor jack under it and will go up with very little pressure , springs seem strong they have been working very good

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We had the springs replaced on our previous motorhome after experiencing the same problem that you are having. They almost 'flew' up after that!

Old 07-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #3

From HWH, spring info.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH jack & spring info.pdf (8.6 KB, 95 views)
Old 07-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had a very similar experience with a front jack. If I lubricated it with silicon it would usually go up but was twice as slow as the rest of the jacks. Sometimes it would not go up even with the silicon but I could put my foot under it and finish lifting it up. I replaced the springs with the new ones everyone is talking about. It did not help a bit. I replaced the jack itself and now it is up in half of the time of the others. I think the seal gets hard as the jack gets older and puts more resistance against the jack. If you want to try the cheaper way to fix it take the jack off and take it to a place that works on hydraulic cylinders. They can replace all the seals and micropolish the shaft. I did not do that because mine was replaced under an extended warranty. I will do my others like this when the warranty wears off and I have problems
Old 07-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #5

After looking at those times my jacks "fly" up! :-)
Old 07-14-2014, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunesView View Post
We had the springs replaced on our previous motorhome after experiencing the same problem that you are having. They almost 'flew' up after that!
that's interesting because I have never ever seen that on ANY HWH jack systems. (almost flew up)Usually slow to retract even HWH says 5-7 minutes
Old 07-14-2014, 04:44 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Stew,
You can the jacks, see if you can get under there and see if any stuff is caught in the seals. Pick it out if you can.
Lube, push them up, drop them down, repeat a few times.

If you have the "new" style springs that are in good shape, you're generally looking at purchasing new rams (levelers)... Unfortunately. I found that with mine the HWH stuff couldn't be rebuilt by anyone other than HWH.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #8
Commercial Member

cb1000. while its true that only hwh can rebuild your cylinders, you get a one year parts and labor warranty with it
.there are a few shops that can do the repair,but, do you know any repair shop that will do that. you can also get hoses made up locally, but ask about the warranty
i dont disparage any repair shop, but i know what ours have to offer.
the first thing to try is new springs, or clean the old ones thoroughly.
the cheapest fix is new springs
if new springs dont fix it, the next thing is to replace the cylinder.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
cb1000. while its true that only hwh can rebuild your cylinders, you get a one year parts and labor warranty with it
.there are a few shops that can do the repair,but, do you know any repair shop that will do that. you can also get hoses made up locally, but ask about the warranty
i dont disparage any repair shop, but i know what ours have to offer.
the first thing to try is new springs, or clean the old ones thoroughly.
the cheapest fix is new springs
if new springs dont fix it, the next thing is to replace the cylinder.
Why is it that only HWH can rebuild the cylinder. Does the cylinders you guys sell have a strange size that there are no parts for. There is not a whole lot to rebuilding a cylinder basically take it apart and replace the seals. IF there is something wrong with the ram where it has pits or something like that makes it a bit harder but I worked for a steel mill and we rebuilt cylinders for everything from a few ton lift to hundreds of ton lift. I have a spare one that I have not taken the time to take it to a hydraulic shop now I am curious.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Apparently you have to cut the cylinder to be able to release the thing and get to the internals. I personally believe it's made this way so HWH does all the repair work and a $90 hydraulic ram becomes a $300 part.. :-)

And quality/warranty, of course..
Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe 'flew up' isn't the right term I should have used, but instead of waiting and waiting and maybe having to help them up by prying them up from underneath, you could be in the coach, retract them, walk outside, and they'd be up almost all the way. We'd laugh because you could hear the springs making a kind of boing, boing noise as they went up.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
Commercial Member

i dont design them, i only work on them.
the shaft of the older cylinders, 2004 and back are american stainless steel. the newer shafts are nickel impregnated steel. no rust with the standard salt bath test.
you need special tools to get the inner locks to release, around the shaft. thats the only problem with rebuilding them. i know there are shops out there who can do the rebuild, but i do not have to that information.
its just that i know what the warranty is when hwh does the work.
im not here to defend hwh. my purpose has always been to help people who have problems. when im no longer able to do that, i will quit posting.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
the shaft of the older cylinders, 2004 and back are american stainless steel. the newer shafts are nickel impregnated steel. no rust with the standard salt bath test.
you need special tools to get the inner locks to release, around the shaft. thats the only problem with rebuilding them. i know there are shops out there who can do the rebuild, but i do not have to that information.
im not here to defend hwh. my purpose has always been to help people who have problems. when im no longer able to do that, i will quit posting.
Thank you for the information. I was just curious why they could not be rebuilt by a local shop. Obviously getting them rebuilt by HWH is the best way to go. The warranty is there and it is much better to have the OEM rebuild them than any one else. Sometimes there is monetary considerations to take into play. A local shop might be a significant difference in price over a rebuilt/ new one from HWH.

In addition I have heard some complaints about getting to talk to HWH techs. I have not had that particular problem. When I had a 5th wheel I had an offer to have a HWH leveling system put on it at cost. When I decided to take the dealer up on their offer they said there would an additional 1000.00 fee for small charges installing and welding etc. I called HWH and explained what was going on. the HWH tech I talked to walked me through the entire installation process, describing what had to be fabricated. He spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with me answering questions. I was very impressed.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:06 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Please don't quit.......

Quote:
Please don't quit trying to help people, when this and other threads had questions about HWH........no one contacting then, no return calls, I remembered when you posted and answered my questions for me and for that I thank you! And now when others are having problems with HWH.......I post your contact info. so you can help others also ........
Thank you for your time and willingness to help us on here with questions and problems.
To all other's............Don't shoot the messenger please

Tags
hwh, levelers