Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

HWH Levelers

I have an'02 DL Winne with HWH levelers. The front 2 will only retract til wt. of coach pushes them up. Took it to CW-told it needs 2 new levelers($1500.00). They said seals may have gotten "dry" from minimal use over the years and if I spray them with WD40 and manually retract them(with shovel) I may be able to revive them. Anyone had similar problem? Any suggestions? I was wondering if replacing the springs that retract them would be worth a try.Thanks
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have found that spraying the seals liberally with WD-40 every month on so keeps the seals soft and allows for retraction in less than two minutes. If they are really dried out, it may take more than one application of WD-40 to soften the seals.

Another positive to having the jacks come up quickly is that as long as the solenoid is open as the jacks come up, more heat is created in the solenoid, which leads to shorter life for the solenoid.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

Yeah, I have stayed and retracted,rinse repeat,etc. several times over several days without much noticeable difference-just wondering if anyone has been able to "rescue" the seals once they're "dried out"-if indeed that is the problem. Obviously I should have been more vigilant in their maitainance but I incorrectly assumed that keeping them retracted for most of their life would protect them.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #4

If you are able to go to the HWH factory in Moscow, IA they offer great service at a good price and will have you fixed in no time.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:43 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just replaced my left front. I bought a factory rebuilt for about 200. Fairly easy to replace. Replace springs also.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I have an'02 DL Winne with HWH levelers. The front 2 will only retract til wt. of coach pushes them up. Took it to CW-told it needs 2 new levelers($1500.00). They said seals may have gotten "dry" from minimal use over the years and if I spray them with WD40 and manually retract them(with shovel) I may be able to revive them. Anyone had similar problem? Any suggestions? I was wondering if replacing the springs that retract them would be worth a try.Thanks
doodah,
By the term "DL", I'm assuming you mean Winnebago Journey DL, correct? And if no one's messed with those HWH jacks since it was new, you may or, most likely have the original WEAKER return springs on them. The way to tell if yours are the older/weaker versions is, if the springs are the same diameter all way from end to end, those are the older versions. The newer springs, presumably stronger, are the ones that are "tapered" as they near the ends. HWH has pictures of them on their site.

I'd check that system first, before I'd even think about spending money on new ones.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:07 AM   #7

Yes, the springs are "skinny" and the same diameter top to bottom. It takes quite a bit of pressure to retract them with a shovel although with steady pressure they seem to be moving easier. Should I contact HWH and see what they have to say?( Couldn't hurt I suppose-I live in Ohio so IA is a trip) And yes - it is a 34' Journey DL
Old 07-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
Yes, the springs are "skinny" and the same diameter top to bottom. It takes quite a bit of pressure to retract them with a shovel although with steady pressure they seem to be moving easier. Should I contact HWH and see what they have to say?( Couldn't hurt I suppose-I live in Ohio so IA is a trip) And yes - it is a 34' Journey DL
I am having some issues with my rarely used HWH system also. Today I am
replacing the springs to see if that helps. FYI, I called HWH and asked to speak to someone in Tech assistance, the lady told me they had a call back
list and it would be 2 WEEKS before they would call

Russ
RMFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:11 PM   #9

You may want to check the hydraulic release solenoids. They will be grouped together on top of the main pump body. The 14 year old pump solenoids are probably going bad. Chances are they are not opening fully to allow hydraulic fluid to run back into the pump reservoir. They are simple to replace but the cost is something around $180 each. Replacing four solenoids would be about $720.

On the end of each solenoid is a nut and screw. Loosen the nut and back out the screw NOT MORE THAN FOUR TURNS. This manually opens the fluid return circuit. If the bad jack raises back into place using the manual release I would suggest a new solenoid.
tombones49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #10

The WD-40 treatment speed up my slow retraction considerably.
Here's a couple of files from the HWH web site if you don't already have them .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH jack maintenance.pdf (16.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: pdf HWH jack & spring info.pdf (8.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 07-21-2016, 07:13 AM   #11

I have opened the t-handled valves that should allow the levelers to retract-but they will not. This apparently isolates the problem to the seals,or possibly the old style springs are not sufficient to retract the jacks. If any of you have ordered and installed new styled springs,could you tell me how to go about it? I see on the HWH website you count the number of coils,etc. but is there a model no. anywhere on the system, or a weight for the levelers,etc. Also, approximately how much do the springs cost and are they easy enough to change out? Thanks for the assist
Old 07-21-2016, 08:53 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have the model number of the system HWH should be able to tell you the PN. Also the Pn is on the jacks if it has not rubbed off. Documentation is on the web site.

To remove Spring this is what I do:

I go to the dollar store and buy a bunch of wooden clothes pins. All you need is the wedge part of the pin so you can break of the ends. Extend the jacks. Put the wooden wedges into the springs. Lots of them. Then retract the jacks. You will need a board to force the jacks up. Then you can easily remove the springs.

To install:

Gently pound the wedges into the springs in your shop. Be careful not to pound open to much or it will ruin the spring. With wedges installed hook one spring to the frame and baseplate hole. Next part is tricky. For the other spring you need help. I use DWs car jack and jack the baseplate up to meet the second spring. It is easier to install if the open end of the spring is away from the base plate. Extend the jacks and remove the wedges.

There are other methods on the forum. Do a search and choose the method you are comfortable with.

Oh when you get the springs off observe how easy it is to replace the jacks. just a few easy to get to bolts.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 07-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
Commercial Member

if you have to push the cylinders up, and its difficult, new springs wont help. the cylinders need to be replaced or rebuilt. call hwh, request a rga number to send them in to be rebuilt. if you dont have time, order two cylinders from hwh, or stuarts in indiana. they are not hard to replace, and would be much less than 1500.
i would also replace the springs st that time. new springs are stronger.
let me know if i can help. i do work for hwh. i do diagnostics. i do not sell parts or solicit work on this forum
paul maddox 602-549-3638
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HWH will rebuild your jacks if you have the time.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors

Tags
hwh, levelers