Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here. This is a DC solenoid. By Ohm's law if voltage goes down, so does current. I can understand the solenoid not working, but not burning up or "blowing" a battery. These should work the same way as your car. You don't burn up a solenoid from a low battery, you hear it click from low voltage.
I believe that the answer is indicated in the OPs post #10.
The batteries were low to begin with and attempts were repeatedly made to operate the jacks and slides, which further depleted the batteries, causing electrical components to fail.
I also believe that new solenoids were not needed, someone is either a bad troubleshooter or a good salesman, or both.
Agreed, solenoids refuse to operate under low voltage. Batteries forced to operate at low voltage heat up internally and destroy themselves, thats why I can speculate the whole issue is self inflicted. Low battery voltage.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #16

HWH on the last 3 motorhomes. One stuck down and stranded me in a campground (not all bad). Replace at no cost.
Keeping the springs lubed up looks like the key.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbaldwin View Post
Keeping the springs lubed up looks like the key.
Springs should never need lubing.
Some people lube the shafts of the ram, in the 10+ years we've had this MH I've never lubed the shafts either. In fact I've never even cleaned them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here. This is a DC solenoid. By Ohm's law if voltage goes down, so does current. I can understand the solenoid not working, but not burning up or "blowing" a battery. These should work the same way as your car. You don't burn up a solenoid from a low battery, you hear it click from low voltage.
I'm pretty sure the solenoid only opens a valve and the pump operates the jacks. If the battery is low, the pump would be running slow and the solenoids would have to be held operated longer to get the jacks to the desired height. This might burn out a solenoid, but I think it was bad diagnosis or one of those mechanics that just changes parts until he can find a bad one.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine66 View Post
I just had all the solenoids replaced for the second time in 8 years on my itasca suncruiser. apparently the solenoids have a problem and overheat and blow the battery and go out...

next... my auxillary switch doesnt work... power goes to it because i can hear the clicking but it doesnt turn anything on
I have HWH jacks on my 2003 Newmar Kountry Star and never had any problems at all. 85000 miles of campgrounds and storage time. I suspect you may have a faulty installation causing your problems. If the installation is incorrect, you will have problems forever until the problems are fixed. HWH has great tech support, give them a call, you might be surprised..Good luck and seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
We have been very pleased with HWH on 3 different motor homes. The product and the customer service has been great. Wonder if the wiring is the problem with the installation?

Amen to that! HWH is the leading lever system used on motor homes for more than twenty years.

I understand this RV'ers frustration , i prefer the manual lever systems.
Goes to "keep it simple', no muss no fuss!
Old 09-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #21

Recently I had also a problem with my HWH system. The first logical item that came to my mind was a faulty main relay.
The culprit was a 5A fuse in the electronic control box that the tech support at HWH told me to check.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #22

My 20 year old HWH swing down jacks work great and the two problems I have had there eng dept. helped me troubleshoot the fault and repair them. Hwh is one company in the mh industry I give Hi marks.
John
johnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #23
doc

Appalachian Campers
Just a thought here. We have had HWH levelers on two previous coaches and lipperts on this one. The oly problem with the HWH is a slow retract due to me not keeping the piston lubed.
Since it is a pretty heavy pull on a battery when the leveling starts, it is a good idea to have the engine running when leveling. We popped a DC circuit breaker on this coach just after we got it, trying to level with the engine off. Now we level with the engine still running.
This may be part of what the OP was mentioning about the auxilary switch. Trying to run any heavy power user with a weak battery is not a real good idea.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Possibly the key to solving this problem is to always either have the engine running or be plugged into shore power before operating your jacks or slides. Doing this will assure you do not have low voltage.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo
Possibly the key to solving this problem is to always either have the engine running or be plugged into shore power before operating your jacks or slides. Doing this will assure you do not have low voltage.
Some HWH installations can not be operated without the key in the accessary mode, or when the engine is running or the shore line is hot the coach and chassis DC relays will not allow it to work. In particular that is how my Holiday is wired.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #26
Commercial Member

the pump motor draws 105 amps when leveling procedure starts. the valves require at least 9.5 volts to open. if the battery is low, or defective, the motor will run,but the valves will not open. you do have to have a good battery to operate the system.
that is not what caused the solenoid valves to fail. normally when a valve fails, it is because one jack has not fully retracted. the control box keeps opening the circuit to the valves in order to retract the jack. the repeated opening is what caused the valve (one valve)to fail. yes they get very hot when opened repeatedly.
these valves are wired in series parallel, ( see service manual for definition)and often the service tech replaces the wrong one. the easy way out for him is to replace all the solenoids, and that fixes the symptom, not the problem. the offending cylinder also needs to be replaced.
a good reading of the complete service manual will help to understand the operation and repair of your system. if you need further assistance, please feel free to email me at azpete@att.net
Old 09-16-2012, 01:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine66 View Post
I just had all the solenoids replaced for the second time in 8 years on my itasca suncruiser. apparently the solenoids have a problem and overheat and blow the battery and go out...

next... my auxillary switch doesnt work... power goes to it because i can hear the clicking but it doesnt turn anything on
\
it mis NOT because your hear a "click" that the solenoids are defective by-the -way.
also be carefull, there are two types of solenoids. One is for intemitent (INT)use and the second Continuous (CONT).
May be you should also check what tyoe is the right one to use. A local HWH dealer tried recently to get rid of is INT solenoid despite I told him the right one needed (main relay)
Finally a 5A fuse solved my problem

Tags
hwh