Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #1

HWH Leveling Jack Repair/Replace

I have read several files from back in 2005 regarding HWH Leveling Jack problems. I have a 2000 Winnebago Journey and my Right Rear Jack will not retract by itself. I have to loosen the T handle at the pump and raise it by using a lever under it to help get it to move. I use 2x4 boards and a metal pole to help raise it up. Questions:
1. Where did you folks purchase rebuilt jacks.
2. Was entire jack replaced or just the cylinder?
K5EAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #2

Before spending large, order new retract springs. Even if your OEM springs seem good, the new design with tapered ends are stronger. While the jacks are extended, spray them with WD-40 and wipe off, this removes dirt, grease, and oils that can make the seals and jack shafts somewhat stick to each other.
Is your hyd oil clear look like new? If yes, only open the system as a last resort, the only way to purge air from the system is operating the jacks and refilling the reservoir as necessary until no more oil is needed. If it's cloudy or appears to have contamination, draining, flushing and refilling this closed system is time-consuming and tedious. The HWH systems do not have any way to drain or flush them, the only way is to remove jacks and have them rebuilt, then flush the open lines. For complete information visit the HWH/FAQ page.
Finally, AZPete is a commercial member of irv2.com and works for HWH. He freely offers advice and recommendations.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cleaned the cylinder? Most common reason why a HWH jack will not fully retract.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #4

I would submit that even with weak springs, if that jack won't retract with the valve open...you probably need a new cylinder. I just had one replaced on a 2010 Phaeton. We ordered the cylinder direct from HWH, and at the time we were told that some times they have refurbished cylinders available...just depends. Should be a piece of tape on that cylinder that covers the p/n. And if that's what you end up doing then definitely replace those springs while you're at it. Then of course you'll have one jack that works faster than all the rest!

PS. sometimes you can find used ones on ebay (buyer beware) and there are RV salvage yards that could also be a source (i.e Colaw in Carthage, MO)
muleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:52 PM   #5

I have lowered and raised the jacks several times and while fully extended, I sprayed WD40, wiped them down with a clean rag, and repeated this several times (about 10). That did not help. I had a body shop tech look at it while he was servicing the dash A/C and he said the whole jack looked bent, and probably is bent, but it still extends OK, and I can retract it by using a pry bar and blocks of wood. It retracts fairly easy, of course I have the “T” handle opened for the Right Rear Jack. There is NO dipstick on the hydraulic reservoir, so what is best method to verify correct fluid level? Someone mentioned draining and flushing the fluid. I see no drain plug on the oil reservoir. The fluid does look dark and black. What if I loosed a hose and run the jacks down until all oil is gone, then fill it back up?
Thanks to all who have posted and I appreciate your help and comments. I can see the Model and Serial Numbers on this jack. The model number is: AP19670. This is a 12,000 lb jack. Curious if anyone has tried to replace the cylinder themselves and if so, how big of a job is it?
K5EAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #6

I haven't replaced a jack on my coach , cleaning has done the trick so far .
But it doesn't appear to be a huge job .

Info from the manufacturer .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH jack & spring info.pdf (8.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf HWH jack maintenance.pdf (16.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for jack replacement. We had two rebuilt units installed at HWH factiry service center in Iowa two years ago.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:37 AM   #8

I had a jack that was acting that way, just hard to get up, thought it was the cylinder sticking. Turned out to be a bad valve.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:40 AM   #9

HWH is good about rebuilding... only charge for parts needed + labor. Generally more economical than new.
The assembly is bolted on and removal not difficult but it may require some soaking w penetrating oil and work to break bolts free if corroded.
Hose & electrical disconnect. I believe there is an adapter needed for reconnecting the electrical for older models.
I would recommend HWH vs s local shop as they have the parts and experience... and I dont think they gouge customers.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped others on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, hwh, leveling, repair, replace