Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #1

HWH Leveling question

I was parked at a campsite recently and just the left rear corner of the coach was low. I'm new to operating my system and have an operating question. I have the HWH system that you level manually. It has a yellow light for each corner of the MH that is low. The jack down arrows will move 2 jacks at a time. You can select front 2 back 2 or left side right side. Since I was not using any leveling blocks would it be wrong in this scenario to lower the left side jacks and then touch the front retract arrow to just have one jack down. Will this work?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #2

I liked to have all jacks down on my Winnebago for better stability. That coach had auto leveling and would first drop the air out of the bags, lower all jacks, and then level side to side and then front to back.

HWH made a presentation at one of the Winnebago Grand National Rallies that I attended and suggested that the proper procedure was to level side to side first then front to back; just like the auto leveling system did on my coach.

Dumping air from the bags first reduces the throw of the jacks and probably adds to stability.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #3

If you don't have the operators manual for your HWH system, it can be downloaded from the web site.

Welcome to HWH Corporation
Old 06-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #4

I have the manual. I know the normal procedure. I dump the air then level using the down arrow for the side that's low based on the yellow lights. The procedure is to level side to side first. What the manual does not include is what to do if you just need a single jack down. Once I have the coach level I always extend all the jacks until they just touch for added stability as you mentioned. Just wondering if any of you with my system have used it for a single low corner as I described. In the past I always needed to level the front..back or a side. First camp site where just one corner was low so it threw me a curve ball. Blocks under the one low corner jack would have worked but I did not have any and was looking for a workaround with the jacks only.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:37 PM   #5

noserider,
You may WANT to use one jack, just because a single corner is low but, the HWH systems, either manual or, automatic, doesn't look leveling just one corner in its operational characteristics. As you stated, and, in the Automatic mode, when you push a the "left" side button, it will extend TWO jacks, on the left side. Same for the right side. Now, obviously if you have air suspension, both manual and automatic operations require the depletion of the air in the bags.

Once the bags are depleted, then leveling operations can begin. What basically happens is this. When you ask for the extension of say, your left side jacks, the controls will extend BOTH jacks on the left side, simultaneously. It's designed to do that. But, when the higher ground jack, comes in contact with the ground but, the lower ground jack, (as in your case) still has to travel to come in contact with the ground, the earlier one will just sit there, 'till, both jacks have equal pressure.

Then, they will both travel until you let off the button. Now, you then push the low "end" button. The same thing will happen. It will extend the jacks on one end of the coach, one of which is already down and in contact with the ground. But, the other one, will travel downwards 'till it hits the ground. At that point, they both will continue to extend until you let off the button.

Now, it (the system) has no idea that you're low only on one corner. It simply supplies pressure to BOTH side jacks the same time, based on equal pressure. It's then up to you to raise the rear enough to achieve the amount of level, to match the side that's already up. Sometimes it takes a few push's of the buttons to get things to end up the way you want, in the manual mode.

Now, if done somewhat correctly, you've basically leveled the coach, manually. But, you've sill got one jack up. You then extend the other end or, other side and, that remaining jack will extend.

In the automatic mode, the system operated exactly as I just explained it only, it will extend that last jack, until it makes contact with the ground and, then, it will raise the coach approximately 3/4" - 1" and, shut the system down completely.

But, my point is, #1, you cannot just lower one jack. The problem with that is, and it's really obvious, you could tweak that frame and or, cause damage to potentially multiple components, including the frame, body, windshield, etc.

As stated, the system is designed to lower two at a time, as you've noted, front two, rear two, left or right two.

I certainly don't want to make it sound as if you're not aware of how your system works, I just want to help clarify maybe some of the reasoning on WHY it works in the manor it does. Hope this helps some.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:38 PM   #6

Because the jacks are controlled in pairs, the jack that touches the ground first will stop moving and the fluid pressure supplied will re-direct to the other jack in the pair until it lifts the required amount.
The other jacks are run down to supply stability.
Low on one corner , requires no , different procedure than low on one side.
Just start your leveling with the low corner side.

Blocks under the jack a would only be required, if the jack runs to the end of travel.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Because the jacks are controlled in pairs, the jack that touches the ground first will stop moving and the fluid pressure supplied will re-direct to the other jack in the pair until it lifts the required amount.
The other jacks are run down to supply stability.
Low on one corner , requires no , different procedure than low on one side.
Just start your leveling with the low corner side.

Blocks under the jack a would only be required, if the jack runs to the end of travel.
Fireup and Skip great explanations. Thanks

Tags
hwh, leveling