Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
HWH leveling system adjustment

Today was the day to fix something minor that has been bugging me for years-- adjusting the leveling mercury switch for the HWH system.

I'll post this thread for others that might have a similiar problem.

If I used the HWH control panel lights I wouldn't be level. This is what I did---

1- I always leveled the coach with a small level on the kitchen Corian counter top. When this area is level the fridge is also level as are all the doors--- working properly.

2- Find the mercury switch. On my rig it is mounted underneath, about mid-ship, near the mufflers.

It is spring mounted with three adjustment screws. Here is a close up--

Now I sat Cindy down in the Captains seat, explained what we're doing and have her hollar loud because the "jacks down" alarm is going off. Only tool needed is a #2 square drive bit or phillips screwdriver.

When the rig was level before, I was always showing a light on the left side, so I adjusted the screw on that side about two turns upward.

Then you can wiggle the sender with your hand to ensure it is seated properly and all the lights will blink and then settle down. With a little tweeking and a little more wiggling of the sending unit all the lights went out. Now I can level her up without having to get up all the time and go to the kitchen. Cindy could never understand with the little counter level (shown above), which way to tell me to move my jacks . I just got up all the time and did it myself-- She did other things .

It took all of ten minutes to do this and I'm a "happy camper" now

Why did I wait so long----- ?? I just always forgot about it-- until the next time I set up----

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2009, 06:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Geez, do I ever feel your frustration. Last year, my HWH control panel lights would just not cooperate. I too ended up leveling with a carpenters level on the kitchen counter. Level L to R....get up and check the bubble, readjust, get up and check the bubble etc.etc. Ironically, once level the control panel consistently showed low on the drivers side. After reading the trouble shooting manual and locating the level sensor, it was just as you described, a couple turns on the phillips head and all lights out, level.
Cross that pet peeve off the list

Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought the RV-Easy Level. It's about $45.00 and the coolest thing since sliced bread. Just set it on the floor, turn it on, there are four lights, one on each corner of the level. The lights are green for level, if one or more are out of level they are red and that's the low side. If the left light is red, raise the left side and so on.

Works great and took 2 minutes. The unit turns itself off after about 3 minutes and you put it away, I just keep it under the Drivers Seat! Best accessory I have ever bought for the Coach.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll be looking for my automatic leveling device underneath my MH this weekend.
Thanks.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Max,

I have an Dec 03 chassis and HWH upgraded the leveling system. I don't even have to get my hands dirty to make the adjustment. Once I have confirmed that the coach is "TRULY" level I just go out to the front of the coach, open the hood and adjust the level controls per the instructions provided by HWH that came with my Newmar documentation.

Level Control Board

Level Control Adjusters

Here is another tip for you Max... I pull fuse 15 on the Newmar supplied fuse panel to silence the "Jack Down Alarm".

Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oemy--

Hmmmm- I seem to remember at myrtle Beach while you were doing the Ultra Power tune to my rig that you couldn't find the fuse to silence the jack alarm-- We both had to endure that awful noise . You have a different setup than me. I believe you have the Actia -- I don't, but I'll look for 'ole #15 tomorrow.

I also think I have a different HWH system -- But i'll look for that too-----
Old 03-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #7

I was looking for fuse 21... for the Acita display. But, you have the analog dash and therefore don't have it. We pull that fuse so UltraPower and the Acita display don't bump heads during the update as we have the key in the "ON" position.

I bet you have a "Jack Down" fuse... you just need to find it.

Amazing what a difference 1 year makes in what is updated and what is not. If you were to set my rig next to Max's you would swear they were the same if didn't look close.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oemy,

Atta-Boy---

'Ole #15 it is------- "Good on-yuh!!!".

For those that don't know what we're talking about -it's the fuse to pull to silence the "Jacks down" alarm when doing work with the ignition switch "on". I guess #15 is only on pre- Actia systems. Oemy sez #21 is the one to pull on Actia systems. It's in the fuse panel above the instrument panel on the dash board. Mine is an '02.

Thanks 'ole friend
Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #9

Fuse 21 is on the Workhorse supplied fuse panel.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #10

I never gave the HWH level lights much of a thought. I just use a level like this on the kitchen counter top. Cost about $2.

CrossCountryNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have Lippert electronic leveling in My Damon. The auto level setting works fine, but if I get up and look down the coach and get the feeling I am at "mystery spot" I adjust.

But until now I just thought when my levelers went through the leveling sequence and the end result was a wheel off the ground the was what it took to level. Never gave a thought of lowering the low side so the high side wouldn't have to be so high. Live and learn I guess.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Dale...got under my coach to adjust the mercury switch and couldn't fine it...got on IRV2 and found your reply to Max about the adjustment being up front on your "04"...needless to say mine was there also on my "05" and adjusted lights...soooooo easy...p.s. the Ultrapower you did on my coach at Southside is performing as expected...thanks again...Jerry

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark
Jim, I got that EZ Level, also. I saw it at Camping World and thought it was worthless, not needed, waste of money....all that stuff. Well..........time passed..........I got annoyed..........my wife doesn't understand those bubble levels that well..........so buying this 'stupid' thing has saved us from arguing! Its funny when you see something and don't see why would you need it, but its great when you need it and find out why it was made in the first place!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCountry View Post
I never gave the HWH level lights much of a thought. I just use a level like this on the kitchen counter top. Cost about $2.

This is what I use, and they work just fine - IF you have pre-levelled your fridge. In all of this dialogue on levelling, I have not seen one mention of the refrigerator, which is, after all, the primary objective.

I have heard/read that if your coach feels level, it is probably level enough for the refrigerator. Probably true, I don't know.

I do know that what you should do is put a level on the flat floor or shelf inside your fridge, then level the coach according to that. Once level, adjust whatever other levelling gauge you use to agree. From then on, that is what you go by, not what the galley counter, table top, or whatever surface you use gives you.

Yes, they should be the same, but until you do this, that is just "shoulda, woulda, coulda."