Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #1

HWH rear jack issues.

After staying in my unit most of the winter, the left rear jack seemed to settle and occasionally need re-levelling. On my way home I had an issue with the alarm going off and after stopping noticed that the same jack was not quite fully retracted. Tried to put it down and then retract and it was stuck 1/4 inch from the road. Opened the manual valves as per instruction manual but the jack would still not retract. Use a couple of blocks and a prybar and pushed it back up manually and then closed the valve before driving home. The jack was quite stiff and difficult to get pushed back up but has since stayed up. I am nervous about trying to lower and raise it again, the other 3 seem ok. Do these jacks give problems? 3-4 yrs old with 15000 miles and not a lot of use. According to literature I have HWH 625 system.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

Call HWH 800.826.6267 or 574.262.0225. They have always helpful.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a similar retraction problem with my left front jack not retracting. I cleaned the jack shaft using transmission fluid. Then used a cotton swab with transmission fluid to clean the seal above the shaft. It works a little slower than the other side but is retracting OK. After cleaning with the trans fluid wipe off as much as possible. Some people use WD40 but must be wiped clean. the trans fluid is the same as used in the resevoir.
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXredfish View Post
I had a similar retraction problem with my left front jack not retracting. I cleaned the jack shaft using transmission fluid. Then used a cotton swab with transmission fluid to clean the seal above the shaft. It works a little slower than the other side but is retracting OK. After cleaning with the trans fluid wipe off as much as possible. Some people use WD40 but must be wiped clean. the trans fluid is the same as used in the resevoir.
Several posts said to use WD40 and not to wipe them off - I usually spray mine with it, wipe with a clean rag LIGHTLY so as to not scratch the surface and then respray them again and not wipe them off - no issues in several years doing this.

If they slowly retract it's probably one of the solenoid valves that need replacing and as for retracting, if the rams are clean and they still don't retract you may need to replace the springs. They have a newer style spring out now that is significantly stronger than the old ones and if your unit had them extended all winter they might have just stretched and lost some of their strength.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The "O" rings within the jack cylinder may be binding the piston and if the remedies of previous posts do not work the jack will have to be changed.
Its a DIY job if handy with tools cost of new jack around $400 from HWH.
Here is list of systems for further trouble shooting.
Also make sure the fluid level in tank is between the two lines on bell vent shaft with all jacks fully retracted.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #6
Commercial Member

download a service manual for your system from the hwh website. do the diagnostics. even if you dont locate the problem, this will enable you to tell the hwh tech what you did or did not find. saves a lot of time.
if you have the time to ship the cylinders in to hwh to rebuild, you will save a lot of money over just replacing the cylinders.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #7

We just had the same thing happen on the way home from Florida. Took the MH in for service and after running the tests in the HWH manual, they found our ground wire had been re-wired wrong by the previous owner, and two wires had crossed, shorting out the whole system.
jcrain9663 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh