Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #1

HWH rear lowers wont lift, front lifts wont store

I have scrubbed as many threads as possible. BTW, help my jacks dont work isnt a very helpful title. lol

I also called HWH for some particular info not listed in their emergency and T/S articles. They havent called back yet.

This is a 2004 Winnebago. When we bought it, the jacks wouldnt park but the chasss battery was toast. Changed the battery and they parked. We have operated the leveling system about 10-15 times since then without problems.

From what I can tell is its a 310 with spring retract. I have the model from the label but havent been able to match it up to anything. Model AP31348 It has only the 3 buttons on the left, on store and off.

The rig is usually level side to side and in this incidence and previous just the rear needed to come up. The rear levelers lower and touch the ground and wont lift. The pump runs but you can hear that it sounds like it isnt under load.

The first time this happened last week we lowered the front levelers until the front raised a bit and then the whole unit would store. This time we cant get them to store at all.

When it goes to store you can hear a click but it doesnt move at all.
Raising the sides only raises the front jacks more. Still no park.

It has the smaller valves the LR valve has the locknut setup and the other 3 cylinders have the lever to release the valves. Havent seen any leaks.

My question for HWH was. If you release the valves do you lose fluid. Emergency Jack Retraction

How do you check the fluid? I was also trying to find out which dextron fluid to refill.

Cant find the fuses either, are they on the bottom of the control board? the control board has a clear cover which is nice to see the lights work but with the hood in the way I cant get a good look.

Is it possible its the shuttle valve? http://www.hwhcorp.com/mi158813.pdf

Or is it possible we are just doing it wrong. Since the coach is normally level we rarely level side to side. Is it because we arent dropping the sides first?

Im just trying to get some sort of idea what is going on so I can point my mech in the right direction and it doesnt seem to be anything in their troubleshooting that describes both issues of the rear jacks going down not lifting the vehicle and the front lifting the vehicle and it not parking but clicking like its going to.
He is a great mech but mostly bus conversions so his exposure to HWH issues is likely limited. Plus troubleshooting costs him time which costs me money so if it can be narrowed down that saves money.

Plus I have got to get it out of the drive to get it to the mech. Too bad my arms are soo short. Have to figure out how to remove the "hood". lol
Forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
1. Emergency jack retraction does not cause fluid loss. All you are doing is manually opening the solenoid.
2. Fluid tank is usually next to the pump and solenoids.
3. I would suspect the shuttle valve if they won't retract.
4. Most of us carry a 2x4 and blocks if the jacks won't retract.

I had a similar problem but the manual t-handle wouldn't open. Ended up draining a gallon of fluid to get them down. I replaced a solenoid and the shuttle valve. No problems since.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #3

Thank you for the info about what happens when opening the valves. If I follow the procedure for the shuttle valve do I press the pin in and put it back in until I can get a new one?

I have finally managed to put a pic in my album. It looks like some work has been done on the manifold.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What you do is push the white lever towards the open end. Looking at the pic, to the left. That opens the solenoid valve (one for each jack). If that doesn't work, you might th ave to release pressure at the shuttle valve by cracking loose the nut on one end of the "U" shaped tube or one of the hoses . Make sure you have a bucket under it if you do.

HWH carries all the parts. If I remember right, it was under $300 for a solenoid and shuttle valve. After you get the jacks retracted you might try removing the valve and see if there is something stuck in it. It's the large fitting at the end of the "u" tube.
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #5

Call Stuart's service in Elkhart, IN. He is very knowledgeable and ships parts quickly. I needed a new solenoid valve and he shipped them to our campground.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #6

Got ahold of Stuarts and they confirmed my suspicion it is the shuttle valve. Ordering one and will update as to the results.

Since Im in my driveway Im going to leave it instead of trying to raise the jacks. That way if it works after replacing the shuttle valve I will know if I need anything else.

Still not clear on how to use the 2x4 and blocks to raise the jacks. Im sure I could figure it out and would think I could find a youtube about it but couldnt.

Having a hard time wrapping my head around getting the 2x4 under the jack and do you try to keep it level when raising. Do you put even pressure on it using blocks or is it like using a lever and just prying it up. I would think you could bend it that way but probably overthinking it. lol
Old 07-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #7

Yup, Chuck is a good egg. Bought all my stuff from him (Stuarts) - got my solenoids rebuild by HWH.
I carry a shovel with me and when my lazy jack decides not to store I slide the shovel under the jack and pry it up. If I need more height I slide a 2x4 under the jack and then place the shovel on top and pry it up the rest of the way. I store before airing up, so I only have to help the jack up a few inches.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Contact AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works, or worked, for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped other on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When my jack or jacks won't retract i utilize my air bags.. Air up, put a couple blocks under the jacks and then dump the air, repeat as necessary... Preety simple way
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraken View Post
Contact AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works, or worked, for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is pfmaddox@att.net and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a message.

He has helped other on this forum and I am sure he can help you.
Paul is his name and he is also a good egg - and he works for HWH. He doesn't try to sell anything to you and is here just to help and can cut down the wait time you encounter at HWH TS. I spent a lot of time on the phone with him - what do you have to lose?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
watching
Old 07-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #12

Here is the update...

Got the valve. Realized my larger combination wrenches are missing and you cant get that valve back in without one. Went to harbor freight and spent a lot of money on other stuff. Picked up some dextron trans fluid and finished connecting the valve. I did pour some fluid into the U connector before connecting it.

Hit the store button and viola it stored. Then we brought the fluid up to the middle of the marks on the breather cap. We messed around with the rear and found that while it was raising now it seemed to only be raising a little bit. Before it didnt raise at all, once the feet touched the pump ran freely.

Realized that we live on a plateau and the legs probably are fully extended. Put together some wood blocks to compensate and it lifted the rear the difference.

Put some WD40 on the leg shafts. Because HWH docs say to use WD40 and not silicone which is my preference. They started to store a little faster after that.

Now I would like to figure out how to get my solar charger connected to my engine battery too. Thank heavens for the "power boost" switch.

Tags
hwh