Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-31-2015, 08:21 PM   #1

HWH Single Jack Sticking Horizontal

I have a jack that extends but won't go vertical. It will go down if I help it with a pull to just beyond the park position. I Have good pressure and have cleaned the controller joystick contacts. I have also cleaned and lubed the main piston but I ran out of time when I realized I hadn't cleaned the push down cylinder.
This is the 6000 lb jack with the cables on it. I sprayed all the hinge points with WD 40 too. Any past experiences that have a common story line would be helpful. HWH says they have a 3 month backlog on tech calls.
As a side any recommendations for pads to spread the load under the jacks?

Skymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 03:55 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
First try cleaning and lubricating the push down piston. If this does not correct the problem, you may want to try a very slight cable adjustment.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #3

Well folks just in case you’re interested I figured out what the problem was and fixed it after extensive analysis of the system.
This is an HWH leveling system with a 225 control mounted on the floor and two 6000lb kick jacks on the front and two 9000 lb kick jacks on the rear. The right front jack was going to the vertical position and extending normally. The left front jack was extending but it was not “kicking down” before extending intermittently. Each jack has an actuator that forces the whole assembly to the vertical position prior to the jacks extending. After insuring both assemblies were lubricated and moving as free as possible to no effect I the looked into the rigging. I noticed after retraction the right side jack was hanging slightly lower than the left side. In the trouble shooting section of the system manual (you can download from HWH site) it mentions this scenario and says to bring the higher parked assembly in line with the lower hanging jack. This is accomplished by adjusting the two screws at the base of the extension actuator. The screws have a recessed Allen head with an 8mm jam nut. I turned both adjusters one and a half turns clockwise each and that brought the left jack to the same position as the right. It is important that both jacks start from the same position for the kick down motion to be synchronized. I might add here I also adjusted the vertical adjustment slightly but that wasn’t the root of the problem. I tested the extension two times and let the pump cool down for a half hour and tested it again and it worked great. I also noticed the springs on the right jack were different than the left. The left side springs were the new design with the tapered ends and the right side had the original springs. I will upgrade the right side soon.
This all started when the hydraulic pump motor failed. I just bought this 2000 Damon Challenger 335 and part of the deal was the PO was supposed to have this fixed and in fact it worked when I picked it up but would not work once I got it home. I took the motor off and found quite a bit of corrosion in the motor and where it mounts to the pump as well. I took the motor apart and cleaned it up paying particular attention to each stud that connects the brush blocks. The ground side hold down bolt was corroded so bad I can’t believe it ever worked. I also cleaned both surfaces where the pump contacts the pump assembly. This is important because this is where the electric motor receives its ground. I also cleaned all the relay wires and both ends of the power lead coming from the battery. It now works like a charm. I would suggest this action to anyone who thinks their motor is bad because this is a common problem based on my research. The whole assembly is behind the front grill and a lot of water is allowed to come in contact with it when you drive in the rain. My next project is to design and manufacture a cover to protect not only the motor, pump, and relay but the battery terminals as well.
I also disassembled the hydraulic control valve assembly but that one will have to be another post.
I hope this helps some one else that has the same problems.
Skymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for documenting this, I have to 210 series, now hopefully I will remember about the adjustment
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:54 PM   #5
Our Jacks will not go down and we are looking for a second fuse or a place to fill hydraulic oil. It was good but last time not even the leveling light would go on. If the fill spot under the RV or under the hood?
rangersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #6
Commercial Member
rangersmom, what leveling system do you have. if its hwh, download a service manual for your system from our website. Welcome to HWH Corporation
if you need further help. please feel free to contact me. i do work for hwh. i live in arizona. my cell is 602-549-3638. i can help.
i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Sounds like you have "kick jacks".

Look at the jack and there should be a small cylinder on top of the main one.

This is what pushes all down.

One selenoid pressurizes one circuit to push all down.

Could be a kinked or clogged hose.

If yiu can get to it loosen the line and have a helper activate it.

Have a catch pan and be clear.

If nothing at jack check other end of hose.

Sometimes they clog or the cylinder may be bad if oil present.

It also may have sheared pin.

Observe and report back.

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote