Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
HWH System down

Went through tropical storm and lowered front and side because of wind. Tried to relevel after and would not retract. Went to store and front remained down. Finally able to pry up after contacting HWH and opening check valve but would not help troubleshoot why pump does not work to raise or lower jacks. 2 week callback list. Can someone tell me where the control box for Series 310 might be located on Newmar Dutchstar 1999? Want to check fuses.
roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
TR4

I had a similar problem with my HWH. The system will only work when the parking brake is on. On my system the parking brake pressure switch was bad. When the parking brake is applied the HWH gets a ground signal from the pressure switch. To bypass this I used an alligator clip from ground to the pressure switch terminal. I have read that this is common problem.

Bill
Old 09-19-2016, 11:26 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2. I had the same supposed malfuntion. I released and re-applied parking brake lever several times before it allowed Jacks to retract. I saw no outwardly visible reason for the switch not working as planned. No repeat thus far; now 1-1/2 years later. If I recall correctly, it , also, was a humid, heavy-rainy day for my problem to arise.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One other thing to check touch pad wiring. Just remove touch pad and check all the plugs to the control board. I can tell you this has proven to be good advice more than once. Good luck..
Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
HWH System Down

Received service manual and performed procedures. Result was that pump needs replaced. Called HWH to order pump and was told they would call me back in a couple of days. I asked if they could give me a price and told had to have Part Number. Gave number off pump and not their part number. Took motor off to see if number hidden. Not there. She stated I could not order without it or even get a price. When I asked if she had a list of parts for different systems that showed parts and numbers, she said no. Motor is in shop now being rebuilt. Hope this is the problem. HWH tech support 2 weeks out. We took the bolt out of check valve to get jacks up. We have air brakes. When this fixed your jack problem, we're they air or manual?
Thank you for the information and the number of Paul who was very helpful and suggested the rebuild.
Cannot find mechanic here who will work on these jacks, probably because HWH won't talk to them either.
Will let you know what happens.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your pump may have a 40 amp fuse feeding off the coil mounted on pump.
The year of your coach could indicate corrosion has finally eaten away the fuse in the fuse holder.
Found that on my 03 coach and I replace with a auto reset fuse link and mounted on the hood opening. \
You have to look closely maybe hard to see if wiring in the way for your solenoids.
Below in my signature you will find links to many more about items on your coach, jack systems will be in QT's 1 & 2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
HWH System Down

Thank you, 007. That 40 amp fuse was the first thing I checked then the pump fuse. All fuses in control box were good, too. I found service manual on line and downloaded to phone. Followed procedures and everything checked out except pump motor would not work. Could not get HWH to even take an order for their $370 motor so found electric motor repair company who rebuilt it for us for $70. Put it in. Jacks went down except RR needed to go a couple more inches. Pushed store and backs came up and front ones would not. So opened the check valve and pushed them back up. Think it needed bleeding so repeated and all jacks went down. They are sekf-bleeding so don't know what Camping World did when they charged us to bleed the lines for $120. Found the HWH motor for $86 new on Amazon. So if it quits again, will order a new one. Just Google 08053 pump motor.
We do not exercise our jacks like we do the generator and will add that to my list since we have been home a lot this year and it sat for 6 months. That includes the slide, also. Paid another $150 for resetting slide motor to pull more amps.
Going to exercise jacks more today and see if we can get them to speed up some..really slow and front Jacks need help to retract. Think I will replace the springs but since it is both front jacks, I think it is something in the solenoids. The ones that control front look like the covering has disintegrated. Attaching picture. Feels so good to be level again.
I know the trouble is not over yet but getting there.
Really appreciate the knowledge on this site and that you share.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
HWH System Down

Here is photo of solenoids. I am no mechanic but this doesn't look right. Just the 2 center ones are like this and we're installed 6 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-09-19 08.54.58.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	139602  
Old 09-22-2016, 07:55 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
Here is photo of solenoids. I am no mechanic but this doesn't look right. Just the 2 center ones are like this and we're installed 6 years ago.
I would say that the jacks associated with those solenoids are slow to retract causing excessive heat build up in the solenoids which cause the paint to burn of the solenoids, and then allowed them to rust.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #10

Heat due to slow retracting could be a factor for the paint pealing and rusting; also possible that they ( the rusty ones ) are original and the other two have been replaced .

Don't know if you have this info on service and spring replacement , so I'll post the documents, I still have the original springs on my 99 , the cleaning before retracting cured my slow retract issues.

EDIT : Just re-read the post about the center solenoids being newer , could be they weren't painted with the same quality of paint or properly primed . I'll also say that the paint is pealing on all 4 of the solenoids on my system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH jack maintenance.pdf (16.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf HWH jack & spring info.pdf (8.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 09-23-2016, 06:28 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
HWH System Down

Thank you, Skip. That is not just rust on solenoids. There is copper wire wrapped around it. Insulation maybe. We do use WD 40 and jacks worked fine in July, our last trip. We are exercising them twice a day to see if they will retract. The rear ones won't go all the way down (lacking 2-4 inches)and we are on a relatively level concrete slab. Had to put wood under them to get them to lift. The front ones go down and lift the coach but won't retract all the way but half way and rear all the way. Now touch pad button for right side won't work pump but front, back and left side do. Camping World said we had air in line on front right last month and they bled it. Could we have same in both front since the solenoids and check valve have been opened?
Thanks for your help. I read the attachments. We haven't been wiping them. Will try that. They have gotten easier to push up manually.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
Commercial Member

roadstar, be careful with that pump motor. if it has a ground stud in addition to the 12 volt stud, on the back of the motor. im sure it wont fit.
ive got one on my shelf now that was ordered from northern tool, and its for a snow plow. its just about 1/8 inch too narrow at the bolts that hold it to the manifold.
call me, i will give you the numbers i have on this motor. im not discouraging you from ordering from amazon. i do it all the time. there are lots of good parts there.
i just believe this part wont fit. either way, please let me know what happens.
paul maddox 1-602-549-3638
i do work for hwh. i do not sell parts or solicit service work on this forum
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
Thank you, Skip. That is not just rust on solenoids. There is copper wire wrapped around it. Insulation maybe. We do use WD 40 and jacks worked fine in July, our last trip. We are exercising them twice a day to see if they will retract. The rear ones won't go all the way down (lacking 2-4 inches)and we are on a relatively level concrete slab. Had to put wood under them to get them to lift. The front ones go down and lift the coach but won't retract all the way but half way and rear all the way. Now touch pad button for right side won't work pump but front, back and left side do. Camping World said we had air in line on front right last month and they bled it. Could we have same in both front since the solenoids and check valve have been opened?
Thanks for your help. I read the attachments. We haven't been wiping them. Will try that. They have gotten easier to push up manually.
I know this is old but did you get this resolved? Seems jacks and slides are the most common thing to talk about (oh and which surge protector to buy ;-) ).
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
HWH Jacks

Yes we did resolve the problem.We hired a mobile mechanic to come check and he couldn't help but he sprayed and sprayed the jacks liberally incase dirt had gotten stuck inside. We had to tap the pump motor with hammer to start it but the jacks came up except one. He used a hydraulic jack to lift it into place. We went out and bought a hydraulic jack and decided that was the way to go. Spent too much money and time on jacks. We bought more silicone spray and sprayed the jacks more and kept putting them up and down. We were confident that we could hit the motor and get the jacks up with auxiliary jack. Also bought and installed control pad as the metal had popped through the plastic from drying out.. We had had service done on slide out before this trip. It went out fine but had to have help pulling it in. My husband had pulled on that slide since we bought the Coach in 2009 to get it to start coming in. Pushed the button and for first time, slide came in and seated as it was supposed to. Then onto the jacks. Pushed the store button and husband was ready with the hammer but the motor started on its own. The jacks started up when I pushed "store" and stored all
Four in less than 2 minutes. Could not believe it. For the first time since we bought it, the Coach had nothing wrong with it, nothing to replace and it was such a relief. Then we decided to stay 2 more days and put everything back out and down.
That night at 11 pm, our coach caught fire from a candle melts in bathroom and burned completely up. We are devastated and salvaged only items in Bay. The floor did not catch fire or melt. The AC units blew the roof off and there is smoke and water damage in Bay but that superaluminum body protected the propane tank and the engine.!
Do not know if we will buy another one but if we do, it will definitely be a DutchStar. We loved our home on wheels and it will be hard to replace.

Tags
hwh