Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #1
Hydraulic brakes

I'm looking at a 2004 Holiday Rambler Neptune and they tell me it has anti lock Hydraulic brakes and an Air ride suspension does anyone have an opinion about a 36 ft MH with Hydraulic brakes not air?

codybones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Originally Posted by codybones0 View Post
I'm looking at a 2004 Holiday Rambler Neptune and they tell me it has anti lock Hydraulic brakes and an Air ride suspension does anyone have an opinion about a 36 ft MH with Hydraulic brakes not air?

Be aware that this coach has the 4 air bag chassis with trailing arms that were subject to recall. The OEM trailing arms were under designed and prone to break. There is an after market kit by Source Engineering that corrects the issue.

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Thank you Steve I had heard about that and have done some research about where to get it fixed should we purchase this unit, do you know anything about the hydraulic brake system? heard of any major issues or problems with Hydraulic brakes I would think they are pretty reliable they are on a lot of units but I am used to air brakes on other trucks we have.
codybones0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:24 PM   #4

I believe the hydra-boost, hydraulic braking system was only used on chassis ; up to a certain GVWR, so a 36' coach on a lower GVWR chassis might not have much in the way of CCC.
Maybe worth a look at the weight sticker.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
Originally Posted by codybones0 View Post
I don't know if this would help you in any of your quest for info on your coach but, if you look up this member and, PM him, you might get some ideas of owner experience here. I don't his coach is EXACTLY like yours but, it's pretty close in that it has hydraulic brakes and, is a Monaco. Here's is user name:

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
That 4 air bag chassis also has a reputation for rough ride. Take it for a good test drive if you get interested.

Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 H.R.Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
Fred Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:26 PM   #7
Alpines coaches have used hydraulic brakes since inception of the brand in 1998. Very early models had 2-piston calipers and had issues with rusty slide pins due to lack of maintenance. Later models used 4-piston calipers with no further issues. Cant speak to the rig you are considering, but have been driving a 40ft, 33,000/43,000 2003 Alpine for 14 years and 160k miles with no issues. Don't have much experience with air brakes but suspect both air and hydraulic brake systems have their unique pros and cons.
Old Scout
2003 40' MDTS
Garden Ridge, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Similar size gas chassis coaches all have hydraulic brakes, so I don't think you need worry.

The main advantage of an air system vs hydraulic is that air doesn't overheat under heavy braking, whereas hydraulic fluid can boil if the brakes & wheels get hot enough. If the brake fluid ever boils, you lose braking force. Not a common problem anymore, but something that can possibly happen.

Another small difference is that an air system has an inherent a "power" brake assist from the high pressure air, whereas hydraulic needs a power booster component to get power assist.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
You do understand that "hydraulic brakes" are what all cars and light trucks use.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #10
Should be fine I had them in a 40' coach.
Bill & Kelli 2015 Dutch Star 4366
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #11
Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I owned a 36 ft Monaco knight that had hydraulic brakes and four air bags. No problem with bags or rear end frame. Could not get the rear brakes to stop dragging causing damage to calipers and wheel seal. Not saying this coach would have this brake problem. Check the records and make sure the brakes work good. Mine would not release the caliper after 20-40 miles. Changed rubber brake lines to caliper which is where I believed it to be collapsing. We decided to sell it and look for another coach. I did find in the previous owner paperwork where rear calipers were changed before so that could be an indication for you.
Mr. Kim Smith, the one with a beard.
1997 Holiday Rambler 24BC Travel Trailer
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #12
This past summer DW and I were fortunate enough to have a European vacation which included the Almafi Coast (south of Naples).

This is where the mountains meet the sea and the coast road is narrow and steep.

It was of great interest to me that the Town to Town buses operated by SITA were all air suspension with hydraulic brakes.

Any brake failures would be catastrophic on the coast road, so I would say a properly designed hydraulic brake system for a 40 foot bus would be very reliable to say the least!

As others have pointed out , the well regarded Alpines were hydraulic brake coaches.
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
If the hydraulic brakes are disk brakes, then they are superior to any drum brake.

The trucking industry is slow, but moving towards disk brakes.

Air brakes are dealing with 120 psi for application, but they have the room for bulky brake chambers and slacks.

Hydraulic brakes work off a thousand psi or more.

Heavy construction equipment have been using air over hydraulic brakes for many years.
The air chamber is probably 10 times as large as the master cylinder, creating a lot of Hydraulic force.

When you pointing straight down a hill, you want to stop.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #14
Two important things to look for in hydraulic brakes is the quality of the brake fluid.. it should be clear... if not I'd clean/flush the system.. I personally use a miti-vac hand held vacuum pump and put fresh fluid in the master cylinder and pump from each bleeder until the fluid runs clear... usually 1 qt on a small system and 2 quarts on a larger system... brake fluid by it nature will absorb moisture and later allow rust... and that moisture will cause steam at a wheel if over heated... so keep it clean.... at least every 2 years...

The other killer of hydraulic brakes.... are the rubber boots on the caliper that fit to the piston.... if these boots fail from heat, damage, or age, they allow dust into the seal and I promise you the piston will not retract as required and this will allow a dragging pad... damage to the pads, rotors will result...

Retired Business Owner, Re-manufacturing HD Clutches, Brake Shoes, Air Compressors, Sales & Installation of PacBrake and other Industrial Friction
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote

brake, brakes, hydraulic