Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #1

Hydraulic jack on 06 Newmar-Essex-Spartan

I am again looking for some guidance from you or the members.
My hydraulic jacks and generator slide will not operate.
The jacks will not go down, I have a 2000series HWH Hydraulic system.
I checked the fuses, I have 13volts going to the pump/motor tank. I cleaned all the lugs for the terminals for the solonoids.
I have fluid in the tank. I spoke to HWH via email and he says the motor is gone. don't ask me why but I don't think so.
I was in Truro Nova Scotia Canada last week and it rained for three days before I got there and the ground was pretty soft the jacks were fully extended, not sure if it's possible to get air in the system.
I am presently in Sydney Nova Scotia and the local RV dealer 'Stones RV cannot handle the job. I have to travel almost 400 miles to Moncton New Brunswick to find a dealer.
Moncton says they can't handle the job until July.
Hoping that you can help me.
Thanks
leoj
titanic1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Can you hear the motor for the hydraulics running?
If not, and based on what you've already checked, I think HWH is correct. Your motor is dead and must be replaced.
If the motor is dead, you can still operate the hydraulics manually. Check your manual for the procedure. Good luck!
pablo77rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo77rv View Post
If the motor is dead, you can still operate the hydraulics manually. Check your manual for the procedure. Good luck!
You can't do anything but store the jacks on any HWH system I've seen using the manual emergency process. All you do is open the needle valves at the shuttle valve, allowing the rams to retract. There's no manual, emergency pump to build pressure with.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply. Service for a Class A is limited in the Atlantic Provinces.
I am heading to quebec canada next week and I think I might have better luck locating a service center that can handle the job.

One more thing I should mention the push buttons on the armrest control do not light up. Usually you press the HYD button and the unit starts up, now nothing.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #5

Hydraulic repaired

I had the jacks repaired in Quebec city, we had a language problem but they got the job done sort-of.
I was informed that the controller which is a big Plexiglas unit under the generator slide out was not working properly but it would take 3 weeks to get a new one. I have a 'jacks are down warning light' that will not clear but the service dealer says this is attributable to the controller problem.
The hydraulic pump/motor was ok, for some reason it started working on the generator slide in New Brunswick for no apparent reason.
Thanks to the people at VRcamions in Quebec City.
I will have the controller repaired in Florida, I am in Winnipeg Manitoba heading for Alaska.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #6

I have a 2003 adventurer 33v with 310 series hwh jacks that i found a broken stud on the solonoid and replaced it but jacks still do not work. the slides work ok. can you wire the solonoid in wrong. Jerry
codyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

HWH jacks still TKO

I started having jack problems again last week. Call the people in Quebec that fixed it and the tech. said to hit the solenoid with a hammer. 1000.00$ spent to be told to hit it with a hammer.
The hammer worked for a few times but now it does not work, to make matters worse I'm in Whitehorse Yukon.
I replaced the relay solenoid but still no good.
Almost seems like a have a loose wire somewhere that affects the solenoid.
Anyone have a suggestion?
would appreciate any help
thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #8

I found the problem with my jacks. I did not have the 40 amp fuse on the right termial.
codyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Commercial Member

download a service manual for your system from the hwh website. there is a great wiring diagram in it. every wire is numbered, and each wire is labeled every 6 inches or so. go thru the diagnostics, and you should find the problem.
an easy way to check the motor is to take a battery jumper cable and jump momentarily, directly to the stud on the end of the motor from the positive battery cable connection on the master relay.
banging on the solenoid, and/or the motor may help. there may be a dead spot in the motor. or the solenoid may be sticking. in either case, if this works, replace the offending part.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #10

Hydraulic jack

I will do that but first I want to check every fuse that's in that Plexiglas controller, I already checked them in Nova Scotia but it wouldn't hurt to check again.
I replaced one solenoid already going to master relay but still no go.
I'm beginning to suspect a loose wire.
thanks for the info on the motor.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your solenoids have white wires going to them they should run to a ground post or ground lug on chassis frame make sure all wire spades are clean and the connections to frame are clean protect with di-electric grease.
The HWH motor is mounted to chassis frame make sure the mounting bolts are tight to frame that's the ground for motor operation, you need good battery voltage and good grounds for systems to operate.
The motor has a fuse encased in a black fuse holder near motor.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #12

It was a stinking fuse!

I opened the HWH controller that is covered with Plexiglas and lo and behold I found a bad fuse for the master relay. Replaced the fuse and all is working.

The unit is not working correctly when it tries to level automatically but I can level it manually.
I was leery to open the controller but I figured that else can happen, unit was not working.
I still have the ''jacks are down alarm' but I can get it fixed in Florida when I return home.

I want to thank everyone for helping me.