Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2012, 03:13 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonandJoell View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions...The jack raised up under hydraulic power. Right now it's retracted with some 4 X 4's under it in case it decides to wake us up again tonight! I'll order new springs from HWH on Monday. Hopefully it will be a relatively easy installation. If not, I'll be back on the forum! It's good to know there are such helpful folks out there. Happy Holidays to all of you...
Cap'n Jon
Ok I am a bit confused here. Most of the HWH jacks I have seen are single acting meaning they only go down with hydraulic pressure. Did you hit a button and hydraulics brought the jacks up. I guess what I am trying to ask is are you sure you have HWH jacks. If you have a broken spring the plate that fits under the HWH jacks is held on by the springs if you lose a spring it can come off of the jack and then fall off the spring and get lost going down the road.

Again if you have HWH and they are automatic levelers I am not sure why only one jack down. My understanding and observation is that the jacks go down in pairs to level horizonal or vertical then when the coach is level all the jacks go down to touch for stability.

My limited knowledge has read in several places that you do not use one jack by itself ever because of the danger of twisting the frame.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have read the posts again and now I am really confused.

To the poster that talked about depresurizing the jacks to retract. Depends on who makes the jack. There is at least one company that has a double acting cylinder you put pressure on the jack to push it down and you put pressure on the other side of the cylinder to bring it up. It has pressure on one side or the other every time it moves.

To the poster that talked about a spring breaking and the jack moving. If it is an HWH jack like I have on my allegro bus. I am not sure why the spring would make it move all the spring does is bring the cylinder up when you release the hydraulic pressure. when you have the cylinder down with hydraulic pressure on it the spring breaking should not make any difference at all or at least that is how I think they work

Old 12-24-2012, 04:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonandJoell View Post
Thanks for all your suggestions...The jack raised up under hydraulic power. Right now it's retracted with some 4 X 4's under it in case it decides to wake us up again tonight! I'll order new springs from HWH on Monday. Hopefully it will be a relatively easy installation. If not, I'll be back on the forum! It's good to know there are such helpful folks out there. Happy Holidays to all of you...
Cap'n Jon
[ moderator edit ]
Old 12-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I have read the posts again and now I am really confused.

HWH makes a stright down and a kick down version. The kick down will "kick down" once pressure is applied. With out pressue or retracted the spring will allow the jack to "kick up" from 180 degrees to 90 degrees. It keeps the jack up within the frame rail and out of the way from getting damage for the bottom

You are correct you only use all jacks, never just 1,2, or 3 (even tho some rigs used a single jack in the middle up front)

Depending on the HWH controler you have will allow you to opperate jacks in pairs or individualy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH-hydraulic-jacks-kick-straight.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	30901  
Old 12-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Another reminder of why I love my air bag leveling system!

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree all jacks need to touch the ground and then level. Check your oil level maybe you blew a line. I have to manually level mine as it is not auto. Front, back, then side to side. Jim
Old 12-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #21
KIX

John and Joell...... After Christmas call HWH in Moscow, Iowa. They have very good customer service. have your system model # available. Tey can likely talk you through repair.
All that is assuming they're HWH brand
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Another reminder of why I love my air bag leveling system!

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Usually the air leveling systems don't have enough "travel" to level in a lot of spots. Our favorite campground is that way.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:35 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
HWH makes a stright down and a kick down version. The kick down will "kick down" once pressure is applied. With out pressue or retracted the spring will allow the jack to "kick up" from 180 degrees to 90 degrees. It keeps the jack up within the frame rail and out of the way from getting damage for the bottom

You are correct you only use all jacks, never just 1,2, or 3 (even tho some rigs used a single jack in the middle up front)

Depending on the HWH controler you have will allow you to opperate jacks in pairs or individualy
Thank you for your response. I was aware that they make the kickdown system. I just could not figure what the original poster meant when he said that the jack went back up hydraulically. I have seen where some coaches have the single jack in the middle up front. I have never been in one but I would think that would not be as stable when you walk around in the coach as the 4 jack system.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Thank you for your response. I was aware that they make the kickdown system. I just could not figure what the original poster meant when he said that the jack went back up hydraulically. I have seen where some coaches have the single jack in the middle up front. I have never been in one but I would think that would not be as stable when you walk around in the coach as the 4 jack system.

When I was a younger (15 or so) we had a freind with a single jack up front and was not as stable and he said a pain to level

Its real hard for me to say anything to help the O.P. with out being able to be there and look at the system and see exactly what is happening

On a side note .... Years ago a tire place used the jacks on mine to lift it, well they didnt bother to go back inside and lift it a little higher, so they put a floor jack up under the left front, and well needless to say it collapsed the right rear jack what in turn set off a chain reaction when it severd the line and all the jacks went up and motorhome with bam on the pavement ....... needless to say the tires may of cost some $$$$$ but they lost ALOT on that job, wish I could find the reciept for all the damages it did and they had to have repaired

Moral of story use a regular jack and jack stands when doing tire service, its just not worth the risk in my opinion
Old 12-25-2012, 08:19 AM   #25

Merry Christmas and thanks to you all...

After having read all your comments and suggestions, I think what happened initially at 4:00 a.m. was definitely NOT caused by a spring breaking. I think something triggered the system to extend the LR hydraulic by itself, perhaps more rapidly than normal which caused one spring to break(we were both asleep and the cat was on top of us!). This is a 1997 Rexhall diesel with the HWH 310 series drop down levelers - each leveler is controlled individually. The system worked to bring up the only other jack that was extended (I know now that all of them must be employed), but the LR had to be "helped" back up with a lever, but it did retract most of the way, albeit slowly under power. I then experimented with the controls to make sure the other three levelers were operating normally and that's when I got nothing - just an audible click. I will call HWH this week and will post their response. Meanwhile, thank you for your patience with this newbie...And Merry Christmas to you and yours, wherever you are...
JonandJoell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #26

To Gemini - a lot of Safaris and Safari based Beavers have the three jack system. I't's not less stable than a 4 jack - if you remember geometry, three points determine a plane and a 3 legged stool doesn't rock like a 4 legged stool. As far as levelling goes, it's not harder but you have to realize that the rear jacks do all the right/left and some of the fore/aft, and if the rear wheels are on unlevel ground raising the front will jack up the higher rear as it has less travel. Leveling a three pin system just requires the user to pay more attention to what the bubble is doing during the process.

the three-pins system seems to twist the chassis less if you get the weight off the front first.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IDK but that 3 jack coach rocked and rolled like a boat, A tirpod has equal distance apart legs, a 3 point system in a motorhome is like a 3 legged table. Even HWH has something to say about it

Three-Jack Systems vs. Four-Jack Systems
A closely related question being asked by many RVers
these days is the issue of
three-jack systems vs. fourjack
systems
. The theory behind a three-point system
goes something like this: a single front jack levels the vehicle
front to rear, while the two rear jacks level the vehicle
side to side; thus, saving the cost of a fourth jack although
sacrificing some front end stability. Although HWH
produces
both four-point and three-point systems, we strongly
recommend four-point systems with BI-AXIS
control. In
practice, three-point systems perform adequately as long
as the vehicle is parked on fairly level ground and the system
is operated according to the instructions of the
motorhome manufacturer. In our experience, however, a
typical RVer will often find it very hard to level his rig with a
three-point system without twisting the structure in the
process.

http://www.hwhcorp.com/ml23032.pdf

I think the main thing is having a good product like the HWH that equalizes the system. I guess another thing is knowing how to opperate whatever system you have the way it was designed. Either way both systems level and are far more stable then non, and I dont think anyone has said "I will not buy that motorhome because it only has a 3 or 4 point jack. If it was that bad I would venture to say stick to brick and mortar

Merry Christmas !!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:18 PM   #28

What the mechanics found...

They said the reason the LR leveler came down at 4:00 am is that a spring broke. It may not have come "crashing" down - the sound that awakened me was probably the spring "twanging"! The reason the hydraulics don't work now (levelers and slide - HWH 310 series)is that the electric motor driving the pump has burned out. It's 15 years old, could just be coincidence...New motor ordered, will be installed next week. Hopefully everything will work...
I DID learn how to manually retract a large slide! Now DW and I will find out what it's like to live with the slide retracted for a week! Actually, it's pretty comfortable, especially after living for many years aboard various sailboats! Again, thank you for all your suggestions and advice. Happy New Year to all...

JonandJoell is offline   Reply With Quote