Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 AM   #29

38 foot DP with auto leveling, double acting cylinders.

Middle of night when a jack pad sinks into the ground the system will come on and relevel. It can and has driven a jack pad 12 inches into soft soil. About then it runs out of cylinder stroke. Have to get up and shut off the auto leveling.

One ruptured extension hydrolic line will disable the ability of that jack to lift the coach. A ruptured return line would cause me to crawl under the coach and manually retract that jack. Always carry spare bungee cords Might be a good place to use one until that jack could be repared. Pump has a valve for extension and a valve for retraction for each of the four jacks a failed line would cause me to pull plugs on that cylinders valves.

I like my system, would junk a air bag system. I am not a flatlander. Do not like the idea of springs but they would be better than an air bag system.

Control system has been upgraded on the next generation. I can extend any of the jacks one at a time but can retract only all four jacks together. New system allows extension and retraction on each jack manually. This would make setting coach on jack stands slick.

JMHO

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #30

Jack issues

I was parked in a trailer park with a 12" X 12" block under the front jack, when all of a sudden, the front end begun to sink. I thought I had a hydraulic issue till I looked under the coach. No, the jack was still extended, it was now extended down into the clay about 10 inches. Now was a time when a hydraulic return would have been a good thing. The springs were just will not a good match for the Iowa clay. As there was only about 12 inches of crawl space left, it became a real challenge to get under and dig out the hole so the jack foot could be extracted. Lesson learned, be careful when using jacks on soil that has not been prepared for the weight. Always use a large platform as well.

Dwayne

Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Jacks deployed underway!!!

My brother bought a MH a few years ago. It was only about 2 weeks old. He was coming home from a duck lease he has in Ark. About 2 AM he is cruisning down the highway. All of a sudden the was a terrible loud noise. He looked in his mirrors and thought he had been hit by a meteor. Sparks were flying everywhere. A state trooper was on the other side of the highway , he did one of those smokey and the bandit turns and came to my brothers aid. They were really freaked out. For some reason all the jacks had deployed. The trooper worked with my brother 4 hours to help him get the jacks up enough to get him to the next exit. Brother called the dealer they said bring in they would fix it. After some heated negotiation my brother changed brands of MH.
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #32
Commercial Member

gutsgolf, what brand of jacks are you talking about. since the invention of leveling jacks, ALL brands of jacks require the park brake to be set in order to extend. also the jack systems do not extend all jacks at one time. the pump motor will not turn on if the park brake is not set. they will all retract together, without the park brake set. there have been lawsuits about this and the owner lost, because they could not prove the jacks even deployed. the only way what you describe could have happened is if someone intentionaly tampered with the system. maybe that was why the dealer swapped motorhomes so quickly.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
I beg to differ but my leveler "big foot" will definetly go down with parking break not set . It will give me an alarm is all 4 jacks are not up. Don't know the brand that were on that coach. The coach he bought was new. And he did not trade back with that same dealer. They wanted to fight and argue over how it happened. The trooper had to be used as a witness.
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #34

I think one click on the "P" brake will satisfy the requirement that the brake be set. Lights will light and alarms will alarm, but I think the jacks can be lowered all at the same time.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote