Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #1

Hydraulic jack warning while driving

I have a 2007 Winnebago Vista 33t. One day while merrily driving along I hit a small bump and my "jacks down" warning light came on. I immediately pulled over but they were not down. I hit the "all up" button and carried on. The next day it happened again while driving. Again I pulled over only to find they were still up. I should mention that while camping they functioned properly and leveled as normal. This became a daily issue so I brought it into a shop. The mechanic showed me where the jacks were slipping ever so slightly ( maybe a half centimeter). He said it needed a whole new ( can't recall exactly what it is called) hydraulic motor. It's an expensive repair, $2500 I think. Since I have an extended warranty I only paid my $100 deductible. Anyway, I drove home happy until I pulled into my driveway and the warning light went off again! I went back to the shop and he bled the hydraulic lines, filled them again but I'm still having the same issue. He seems to be out of ideas. Thoughts?
ArveeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 05:49 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure this is your situation but sounds similar. I used to have the same problem intermittently on my 2014 Itasca. I talked to the folks that made the system and they advised it was most likely a loose connection on the jack sensors and jacks actually were not dropping. I went through and tightened/checked all connections and the issue seemed to clear up over time.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:55 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually if ALL the lights on the control panel start flashing along with an audible alarm, it is a sign that the reservoir fluid level is too low. I know that the reservoir should be completely full right to the top of the opening.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gramps- View Post
Usually if ALL the lights on the control panel start flashing along with an audible alarm, it is a sign that the reservoir fluid level is too low. I know that the reservoir should be completely full right to the top of the opening.
I too suspect the fluid level is low.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:28 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X 3 on the fluid low. There is a very small margin between full and not full. Just a hair below that "not full" causes the "jacks down" light, alarm and lots of blinkie lights when in any gear. Guessing that bump you experienced was just that hair and, until topped up, all the other occurrences. I believe the book says 1/4 inch makes all the difference.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:49 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same problem - one jack was not returning all the way - I added fluid until I was able to remove the jack and repair it - the piston had come loose and unscrewed not allowing full up. no more warning lights .
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:52 AM   #7

HWH has a post about thermal expansion of the fluid. We bought ours in Jan. of 15 and by March with the heat here in Fl. our Jack down alarm started and I had to pry them up just a hair. Recently took a 2800 miles trip and followed the leveling procedure HWH recommended and it worked. Basically, when you level your coach you have to wait up to 7 mins. before you turn the ignition from accessory to start the coach & then while driving you must run in the store mode. This process worked and the alarm didn't sound once.
tul91562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:47 AM   #8

I occasionally get that alarm when turning a LEFT corner. Based on previous postings I have out it down to the reservoir sensor as well. Haven't topped up the reservoir as it is really pretty occasional ... Besides it reminds me to take it easy and make the ride a nice gentle one for the passengers. 😀
Old 07-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
There is another thing that may be causing the problem. If your '07 Winnebago is the same as my '06 Itasca, then it doesn't use the fluid level to determine if the jacks are down. Look at the top of one of your jacks. If there is a connector with two wires attached at the very top, then it uses a proximity sensor to determine if the jack is up. These are wired in series and if just one of them fails, the alarm will go off. I had the same problem with my Itasca and finally traced it down to a faulty sensor. You may be able to locate a new sensor, but I was not able to and did a work around. Here's a link to the post I made on the "re-engineered" solution.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/kwike...em-211049.html
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #10

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm going to try to tackle this problem tomorrow utilizing all of these ideas for my diagnosis. I'm guessing (hoping) one of them is the answer to my problem. I'll comment back on what I discover.
ArveeBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:02 PM   #11

I received a jack down alarm intermittently for a few days while traveling in the CA maritimes. Not fun when caravaning. Anyway, one of the guys told me to always allow the HWH system to "time-out" after retracting the jacks, otherwise one or more may not be fully retracted, especially in cool weather.

That solved my problem.
When you check oil level, make sure all jacks are retracted, the hyd. slide does not matter because that is a double-acting piston type, so one end or the other is always full.
FWIW, HWH says to use type A transmission fluid for my system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I received a jack down alarm intermittently for a few days while traveling in the CA maritimes. Not fun when caravaning. Anyway, one of the guys told me to always allow the HWH system to "time-out" after retracting the jacks, otherwise one or more may not be fully retracted, especially in cool weather.

That solved my problem.
When you check oil level, make sure all jacks are retracted, the hyd. slide does not matter because that is a double-acting piston type, so one end or the other is always full.
FWIW, HWH says to use type A transmission fluid for my system.

Ray - what do you mean by "time out". I always wait for the "jacks down" light to go off. Is that what you mean?
Old 07-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #13

Had similar problem. It was bad sensor on top of one leveler. A bit of a pain to change, but not impossible. Changed it without removing the leveling Jack.

🚌🚍🚌
1998 Thor Windsport 33SL on 1997 F53 chassis.
2007 Chevy Uplander TOAD.
1985 Yamaha Virago XV700

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #14

I've driven hundreds (maybe over a thousand?) of miles with the "Jacks Down" light on when I knew the jacks were up.

It's likely just a switch out of adjustment.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic