Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-16-2016, 03:01 AM   #1
Hydraulic pump motor story..........

Well this is my story about my hydraulic pump motor issues. A couple weeks ago we were getting ready for a family camp out for the following weekend and went to put the slides out to make it easier to get in & out of our coach. Got the slides out about 3/4 the way out and the pump quit! If I let it sit for a few minutes and hit the switch again we would just get a short motor run and die. We have a 2004 Gulfstream Atrium and the front 2 slides and the levelers work off of the single "Dewald" pump system. I didn't have time to mess around so I learned how to "Jack" my slides in. Ok now I take it upon myself to crawl under and remove the pump motor, no easy task! :( after about 50 trips back and forth trying to find a 5/16" wrench that would actually grab hold of the tiny bolt heads I removed the 2 mounting bolts and 3 wires and out came the motor. I take it apart and inspect it and it looks like it's in great shape other than being dirty inside, clean it up put it back together and bench test and wouldn't work. Did some research on line and found a post on this forum where a member had the same problem with a similar system and a link to Amazon to get a Mercury / Mariner 150 HP power trim motor around the 1985 to 1987 vintage so looked them up and they looked like mine for $86.00 plus shipping, not bad but I need it within 4 days!! Did some calling around and the RV dealers were a waste of time and they said close to $500.00. I went ahead and ordered the one on Amazon and checked further and found a guy in Calgary that could fix my motor, I needed it for the following weekend so I jumped in my car and drove an hour and a half to see this guy, he checked the armature and said there was a bad connection and that he could fix it, come back in an hour and a half and It will be ready. So I went for lunch and also went and bought a little 5/16" ratchet wrench to make the install easier, went back and it was ready "YAHOO" put the motor together, tested it and it worked "Woo - Hoo" $50.00 later I'm on my way home happy as can be. Get home, now I have to crawl back into the belly of the beast. Now I didn't mention this 250 pound 59 year old fat a$$ had been crawling in and out on this thing all day Sunday and there isn't much space and I feel like I've been hit by a truck but I force my fat a$$ back underneath and install the new motor, guess what, one of the mounting bolts broke so now I'm running around trying to find a new bolt in my tool box, no luck. Down to Napa I go, my buddy at Napa gives me a hand full of new bolts and off I go, crawl in again and manage to get the broken bolt out quite easily. Now new motor is in, give it a test and varoom! Works great. Fast forward to Friday, we are all ready to leave for our family camping trip, fire up the old Cat, air it up, hit the switch for the levelers to bring them up and ....................no green light on panel?? Levelers aren't up all the way? Did I mention it's pi$$ing down rain!! Start checking everything again, fuses, relays, pull everything out of the basement "Again" and check the motor and it's done, not working, I'm pissed!! Just ruined our weekend. Went in the house to get out of wet clothes, got to thinking and went back under the beast, pulled the motor off, measured the end of the drive and made a pump drive from a 3/8" bolt, chucked it in a drill crawled back under and brought the jacks up till green light on so then we were off and running! Two and a half hours later we arrive at our destination in the dark. My youngest son crawled underneath, ran the drill so I could level and put out my slides, weekend saved "Yee Haaaaaw" Beer Time!! I have since gotten my new motor and installed it and it works great and even found a cheaper one on E-bay so for $62.00 so I ordered an extra just in case............

mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 04:23 AM   #2
Can't keep a good man down...

iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 05:57 AM   #3
Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
and just wait until you have done it enough times to get good at it, then you will just drink more.
2003 Scepter 40PDBB - Roadmaster rr8s - Cummins ISC350 - suspension mods to come.
jimmy braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I admire your determination!
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote