Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #1

Hydro-Hot/Aqua-Hot Question

While running your diesel fired furnace during the winter months...does it heat the engine block while the furnace is running for easy starting... or do you have to turn on the heater block switch for this to work.
Does the engine block heater run off 110v or the furnace system?
Thanks for the help
Don M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:52 PM   #2

DM, with my Aqua-Hot I have a separate switch to heat the motor via the Aqua-Hot and I have another switch to turn on the electric block heater. I have never been anywhere cold enough yet to use the electric block heater but I use the Aqua-Hot heater anytime it is below 60* just to make the oil flow faster for lubrication.

The Aqua-Hot has a dedicated circulating pump just for the motor and you have to turn it on if you want it to heat the motor.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Don,

The engine pre-heat is an extra feature on the hydor hot. I have hydo hot but do not have this feature but on my control panel in the overhead cabinet there is a blank where the switch should be and labeled "Engine Preheat." Not all hydro/aqua hot comes with this feature.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #4

I have the switch in the cabinet next to where the diesel burner switch is that says engine block heater...but where is the elec engine heater switch?
Don M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar doesn't use the hydrohot as a engine preheat. Newmar use a electrical engine heater, if you have one there will be a switch in the overhead driver compartment and a electrical pigtail and plug above the engine in the engine compartment.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
Newmar doesn't use the hydrohot as a engine preheat. Newmar use a electrical engine heater, if you have one there will be a switch in the overhead driver compartment and a electrical pigtail and plug above the engine in the engine compartment.
That's the way it is on my coach. I have a male end of an electrical cord in the outside electrical panel and a 120 VAC receptacle there also. The receptacle is not energized so I thought the switch in the overhead feeds the recepticle and the male plug goes to the engine heater. I've never had to use the engine preheat so don't know for sure.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
a k

Newmar Owners Club
If Newmar doesn't use the Hydro-Hot for pre heat, how come when running down the road the hot water gets hot? I have plenty of hot water after a run. No switches except overhead engine heater for rear plug. I think it is on mine but it is on all the time.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
a k,

Two different features. If you have the diesel switch on on the Hydro Hot when going down the road you will have hot water and heat available. Hydro Hot has another feature that pumps the hot water made by the Hydro Hot thru the engine as a preheat feature, but as some members have mentioned not all Hydro Hot heaters have this feature. If you are going down the road and the diesel switch is not on and you have hot water then you may have a motoraid feature in addition to the Hydro Hot but I'm not sure if that combination exists.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Newmar does not use the hyrdohot circulating pump to circulate ENGINE COOLANT to preheat the engine. ENGINE COOLANT is routed through the hydrohot so that will supply heat without having the diesel burner ir electical element on in the hydroho while the coach engine is running.
2015 GMC Seirra
Old 12-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Iron Man,
You are right that the engine coolant is circulated thru the Hydro Hot to preheat the engine. But the electric heating element is 120volts and would have to run thru the inverter in order for the Hydro Hot to heat the water while moving down the road unless the generator is running.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #11
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Now you have me thinking. I'll check it out next time I get it out
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #12

The Aqua Hot has a heat exchanger in the engines radiator system that heats the Aqua Hot boiler without a circulation pump and just using convection when driving down the road. This is done without the diesel burner or the 120 v heating element being on. This transfer of heat through the heat exchager provides heat throughout the MH while driving in the winter if the thermostats are turned on and always provides hot water through the faucets even in the summertime with the thermostats off. No generator or 120 volts required. This system is reversed for for engine preheat with the addition of a circulation pump controlled by a switch.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Mike,
Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
With a Newmar the hydrohot is plumbed into the engine heater hoses so as water is circulated throughout the engine as the engine runs the engine coolant will provide the heat for the hydrohot without using the hydorhot diesel burner or the 120 volt element
2015 GMC Seirra