Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

Hydro Hot Boiler Antifreeze

I have never had an Hydro Hot system until my current coach. The one I have is Model HHE-200-09E. The coach is a 2007 CC Intrigue. When cold the overflow tank is about 3 inches below the cold mark and when hot it does not move very far and is still well below the cold mark. I talked with Hydro Hot and they really were not much help. Does anyone know, or willing to take a guess, at how much antifreeze it will take to bring it up to the full mark when hot. They told me that the entire system takes 6 gallons of 50/50 mix to fill. I seems to me that adding antifreeze when it's cold, up to the cold mark, may not be enough. The Radiator cap is on top of the unit and almost impossible to get to let alone check the level. For anyone who has tried to find the special boiler type antifreeze, after a half day searching I found it on Amazon for $8.00 per quart. The company was recommended by Hydro Hot. Their name is Camco and there is just none available locally. As a side note has anyone had any luck finding a shop manual for this unit? I have the owners and the parts manual, and I have been everywhere trying to find shop manual with no luck

Thanks in advance

Dick
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #2

You need the Camco pink boiler anti-freeze. It is sold at a lot of RV stores and a at Camping World. If the level is way down in the Aqua Hot then it will not work. I would not open that radiator cap because the anti-freeze will come out. Just top off the overflow tank to the cold mark and you should be OK.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #3

All Aqua-Hot and Archived Hydro-Hot manuals are here: Aqua-Hot Heating Systems Inc.

Aqua-Hot was formally Hydro-Hot.

You have to dig through the information but there is a section about filling the system.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Commercial Member

Dick

The Camco -100 Boiler Coolant available at Amazon is the correct coolant. The product that they have available is a 'concentrate' and should be mixed with 2 parts distilled water (33% Camco -100 coolant concentrate / 66% distilled water). This one quart bottle will make about 3/4 gallon of ready to use coolant.

Turn off your Hydro-Hot and allow it to cool for 1 hour. Remove radiator cap and fill to top of neck. Replace cap, bring unit to operating temperature, then fill overflow bottle to "Hot" level.

You will find manual for your Hydro-Hot on the Aqua-Hot website, here: https://www.aquahotparts.com/eSource/ecom/eSource/default/ArchievedManuals.aspx
If you want shop manual, download the one for the HHE-500-07E.

- Roger Berke -
http://www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Roger Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the info. The shop manual for the HHE 500 appears to be the same unit. I don't know why Vehicle System's did not let me know. I ended up getting the Boiler Antifreeze thru Amazon. The radiator cap is on top of the unit with very little room. I hope I can get some fluid in there.

Rodger...the link to the Hydronic heating forum is very informative

Thanks
Dick
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #6

Commercial Member

Dick

To get the radiator cap off your Aqua-Hot turn and push down at the same time. Real tough sometimes. NO TOOLS - they may damage the brass filler neck.

If you transfer coolant to 1 liter water bottle it makes it (a little) easier to pour coolant into the filler neck.

- Roger -
http://www.Forum.RVHYD.com
Roger Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #7

I used my wifes Turkey baster to fill it.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White
I used my wifes Turkey baster to fill it.
Hopefully after Thanksgiving!
Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
What you need is Propylene Glycol it can be found at most marine stores, West Marine has it on line.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote