Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 05:57 AM   #1

Hydro Hot Leak

I have a 2004 Mountain Aire with a HHE-500-08M Hydro Hot unit which we love. About a week ago the system stopped working and the low fluid indicator light came on. I added antifreeze and everything has been fine. I was concerned because it took about 3 qts. of fluid so I have been looking everywhere for leaks but hadn't spotted any. This morning the burner was not running and the red low fluid indicator light was on again. This time there is a indication of a leak on the ground under the burner unit. After breakfast I'm going to start trying to find the cause of the leak. Have any of you experienced RVs any suggestions as to what might be the most likely causes. I hope it's something simple and not a major boiler failure.

Thanks
Ira Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The AH has two hoses running to every vent. In a previous coach I had a leak and it was a loose fitting on a hose end. Some are very hard to get to.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 08:17 AM   #3

Ira
For me the leak I was getting under the exhaust on the ground turned out to be a bad pressure/radiator cap on the boiler. Not the only possibility but easy and inexpensive to try
dgezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #4

We had a similar leak in our Aquahot. Turned out to be a crack in the drain pipe where it connects to the boiler tank. You have to remove the cover to see it. Earlier models sometimes used a plastic pipe, now they are brass. I replaced it with the newer parts and some rented tools from Roger Berke.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #5

Mine was using fluid each month. Turned out to be the tank cap. I had spent a month looking at everything else. The cap never dripped fluid and there was never any fluid on the floor or in the bay. Cheap fix.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:16 AM   #6

Hydro Hot Leak

I appreciate all your suggestions. Yesterday I removed the cover on the burner end and didn't see anything obvious. I have also had a few exchanges with Rodger Berke on his forum where he suggested most of the things you guys have touched upon. I am living in the motorhome and today is raining so I'm limping along with the leak until the rain stops then I'll be back to checking things throughly. Right now I have a pan under the hole where the exhaust pipe exits the coach to collect the fluid. I'm not using the burner so the amount in the pan should be about what's leaking. With the burner on I think some of the fluid evaporates which is why I didn't notice it earlier. I think I can empty the bay in back of the AH so I can crawl in there to check for any leaks on that end of the unit. Hopefully it's a fixable leak and not a cracked boiler.

Thanks
Ira Colby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak