RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2018, 10:00 AM   #1

Hydro Hot replacement or different system?

My hydro hot is broken. Been told tank and system needs to be rebuilt. This could cost 5000-8000. Should I just put a different hot water system in thats cheaper or fix the hydro hot?

JasonOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #2

A little lesson in posting a question. Always post year, make, and model of RV. Who told you it needed that work? Are they trained in Hydro-Hot systems or are they some place like Camping World and are just guessing? I have never heard of Hydro-Hot repairs being that extensive but then again I wouldn't have a Hydro-Hot system to begin with, too much upkeep, too many things to go wrong.

Old 09-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #3

2006 American Tradition, the aqua hot factory tech said that because with the issues I reported they believed the coil inside the tank is cracked.
JasonOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #4

Not sure if you have any good choices. You have no ducting system so forced air is out. Possibly an Oasis system, but that's not cheap either. Might get a hands on opinion from a certified service tech and get some quotes for repair. Sometimes there just is no easy low cost way out.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Water coming out exhaust and overflow but you kept it on in Feb when it was near freezing. Granted you posted this previously but the more info the better when you ask a question. I’ve read where new copper tubing was wound around the tank but until you pin down where it’s leaking we are all just guessing...like you. No way would I replace the entire unit and other options are not going to be cheap.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #6

That does sound like a lot of money for a rebuild, but Aquahot products are expensive. What I'd do is check with ITR in Vancouver WA. They are the manufacturers of the Oasis system. They ought to be able to tell you what installing one of theirs would cost. http://itrheat.com/

Also, you might want to contact Rixen Enterprises in Sandy OR. Jim Rixen has been around the hydronic heating business for >20 years and is very well respected. He sells a European-designed line of hydronic systems but he also would be very knowledgeable as to what your options are. http://rixens.com/
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

https://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterre...3plqscsfapp004
Old 09-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Check www.heatmyrv.com

John Carillo rebuilds units for Aquahot and Oasis.
He will steer you in the right direction.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #9

Just had mine rebuilt...now an aquahot...$9k...but under a service contract or i would have been asking the same question!
1stmoparguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Hydro Hot replacement or different system?

Had mine rebuilt at a one man shop in calif for 7 grand .. aqua hot would rebuild mine if I sent it to them for $8500.00 but I had to do all the removal and install and shipping .. no easy task
If the tank is compromised then you have very little choice.
John Carrillo would sell me a tank but after I would have had it pulled and rebuilt with his tank Howard’s in calif ( I was in his back yard ) was cheaper all in.
Pumps etc can be fixed “ reasonably for a few hundred but lose the tank due to rust or not winterizing using fluid and just blowing the lines out ( doesn’t get the water out ) or using bleach and letting it set ( degrades the copper tubing) and you to can spend that much !
I love my aqua hot for how it works but they all stick it to you for repairs that shouldn’t cost that much of course that’s just my opinion
The aqua hot does too many things .. you can’t just put a hot water tank in .. that solves the hot water but how about heat? There is no ductwork on a AH coach
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmoparguy View Post
Just had mine rebuilt...now an aquahot...$9k...but under a service contract or i would have been asking the same question!
Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Sent you a PM yesterday.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #13

I am having problems with my
aqua hot ahe 100- 102s . I have had a lot of rusty hot water coming from the boiler and have installed a hot water filter that stopped it from coming into the coach . I have done the change of the filter and fuel nozzle . I have had the ignition coil fail 2 times now and after applying 12 volt power to it after I have removed it from the unit it starts working fine again ? for a while then it stops working and was going to replace it .

for the age and because of the rusty hot water that is coming out of the unit I think it is time to replace the hole unit

any ideas ?

https://www.stevestonmarine.com/itr-...120vac-element

this is what I was thinking to replace it with or

http://itrheat.com/products/rv-trail...m/oasis-combi/

thanks dave

featherlite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement