Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #1

Hydrolift on 2017 Forza

Anyone have any experience with the hydrolift ? Any issues with the weight or clearance?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #2

If you have a tag axle on your coach I would consider it.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #3

Whys that?
Old 06-14-2017, 08:50 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrhino View Post
Whys that?
Most lift manufacturers do not recommend a lift on a non tag axle motor home due to the excessive weight loading on the rear axle. Take the weight of the lift plus the motorcycle then multiply that by a formula developed by the lift manufacturer and you'll see how much weight you are actually putting on the axle due to the rear overhang.

Here is a formula from Cruiserlift that might explain more, and the Cruiserlift is lighter than the Hydralift. For example, I have a 900 pound motorcycle. If I use their calculations, I would be putting over 2,000 pounds of additional load on the rear axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruiserlift-Weight-Sheet.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	165161  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #5

No, way to much weight.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrhino View Post
Anyone have any experience with the hydrolift ? Any issues with the weight or clearance?
Ramrhino,
There's lots to consider here. I know absolutely nothing about your coach. Don't know type (diesel or gas), length, chassis make, and more. So, with all that info missing, it's really hard to give a hard and fast answer. But, just for your info, Yep, I did the install of a HYDRALIFT on our coach. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. Some said don't do it, they ran and hid.
I chose to take on the project. A very, very long story short. IT WORKED!! Yes, I was overweight on the rear axle. But, IT WORKED. We ran for well over 8,000 miles like that, all over the western U.S. and had a great time by having both the GL 1800 Goldwing and our '04 Jeep Rubicon for doing our running around while on trips.
Even though we were over weight, there was ZERO problems with the coach handling, no wandering, no porposing, no ill handling effects what so ever. And the back of the coach did not tear off like some said it would.

But, ours was/is a diesel and, carries the gen up front which, makes for a bit of counter weight to help offset things. By the way, after the lift was installed and, the bike was loaded, the front end came up a whopping 1/16" of an inch, wow! The back and front pretty close to the normal ride height due to the action of the ride height sensors.

The only reason we're not still doing things that way is due to the tires. I was overloaded on those too. If I'd have blown one of the rear duals, the remaining one on the effected side, would then be carrying the full overload, not good. So, we decided to take a different route. Now, we one of our toads is an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab and when it comes time for us to head out and take the bike with us, I simply roll a Rampage lift into the bed. That lift is bolted down in about 3-4 minutes. Then the bike is winched up into the bed by the push of a button. The truck now carries the load.

Anyway, if you've got any questions, PM me for answers on installing, setting up for quick removal of that lift for service or, trips when it's not needed and more. Be glad to help.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:30 PM   #7

Thanks, I would love any info you can help me with! I researched this issue and pulled the trigger on it some said I'd be ok others were skeptical . I put the lift on our brand-new 2017 Winnebago Forza 34t diesel pusher I won't be doing any towing with it other than just bringing the bike on the Hydro Lift what do you think ?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So in other words, Fire UP realized after doing what you are considering for over 8000 miles that it wasn't safe and wasn't a good idea to keep tempting fate. You will be overstressing the chassis of your motorhome, and if something gives, it could get very dangerous, very fast. If your motorhome is rated to be able to do what you plan then I see no problem, but if not, it could become a big problem. You said you researched this and some said ok, others not ok, but you don't say who you contacted in your research. I would go by what the manufacturers of your motorhome and lift recommend. Good luck and I hope it works out well for you.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote