Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
hyper extend slide?

I am about ready to replace carpet and if it wasn't for the slide I could definitely handle doing it myself. I've heard that hyperextending the slide is not a big deal but can't find any info on how to go about doing it. Has anyone else tackled doing so? I was hoping to find a youtube video but no luck.
lbaker5644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've read of a few hearty souls doing it but I never had the guts. I'm not sure I would call in no big deal but it certainly is doable.

I replaced my carpet with vinyl planks and had to remove the original carpet under the slide in chunks of about 1" at a time.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
How did you attach the planks to the floor under the slide, glue or floating floor system? Did you start your first row under the slide? I have the added issue of needing to replace one of the rollers on the floor under the slide
Old 08-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbaker5644 View Post
How did you attach the planks to the floor under the slide, glue or floating floor system? Did you start your first row under the slide? I have the added issue of needing to replace one of the rollers on the floor under the slide
I did start the first row just about at the point where the flat floor slide begins to ramp up when retracted. It is covered by a carpet flap since I put carpet on the slide floors... they get no foot traffic.

I didn't want to mess with glue. I started off wanting to do a floating floor but when retracting the slides it put too much pressure on the floor and it would push up on the planks. I ended up using a row of carpet tacks to secure the floor where the slides ride up on it. No problems in 3 years.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 08-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Not sure I understand how you used carpet tack?
Old 08-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbaker5644 View Post
Not sure I understand how you used carpet tack?
Sorry... I left out an important detail.

My entry and kitchen came with vinyl while the main living area and bedroom had carpet. With three dogs and being full time... the carpet had to go.

I wanted a "flat floor" look from nose to tail of the coach but the floor under the carpet was just a bit lower than the OEM vinyl so I used a 1/4" plywood underlayment where the carpet had been to make the sub floor level from front to rear of the coach. The plywood is held to the coach floor with sheet metal screws and the plywood gave me a base into which I could use carpet tacks to secure the planks to the underlayment.

I also used a leveling compound where the underlayment met the OEM vinyl flooring for a smooth transition.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD