Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
randco,
You have opened up a can of worms with this one. I unlike most others think traveling through the Metropolitan areas is part of the adventure 9may be the old truck driver in me). Having said that DC and Baltimore are a real time sensitive challenge. Go over the Delaware Memorial Bridge do not follow I-95 it will take you to Phily way to much Metropolitan fun there. Take I-295 Norht (gas in NJ reasonable) to I-195 east to the NJ turnpike, this will save you some tolls. Interesting destination Croton on Hudson, NY, do you have a house there very nice area many would not think to visit?

r0n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randco View Post
Man am I glad that I found this thread. We are planning a trip in July. We will be leaving Sarasota, FL headed to Croton on Hudson, NY. I have tried using the Good Sam route planner and the FMCA planner. If I use the AAA TripTiK planner I can manipulate the route to go around D.C. and Baltimore as many of you have suggested.After I go around Baltimore on I-695 I plan to take I-95 North. Just south of Wilmington, Delaware I-95 heads towards Philly. Should I follow I-95 or take the New Jersey Turnpike? What are the tolls on the turnpike if pulling a toad?What about picking up I-295 near Wilmington and taking it to just NE of Trenton. From there take HWY 1 North to near New Brunswick where I can pick up I-95 again.I suppose it depends on the tolls?Anyone have any input?

2004 MACA3781
ron & deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #44

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron & deb View Post
Thanks for the information. I think I will give it a try next time. I always attempt to time my travel thought this area for the off peak time if you can find one! A couple of months ago I thought I was smart tiring to get around DC at midnight only to find very heavy traffic.
Thanks, r0n
There is a great deal of construction on I 495 where they are shutting down parts of SB between the American Legion bridge and I 95 S usually about 9:30pm or dropping it down to a single lane. This due to the building of "hot lanes" and extending the Metro to Dulles Airport. Traffic is usually not too bad between 8:00 & 9:00pm. I work in Rockville MD and live in VA so drive it every weekday, but Fridays are usually bad anytime and Thursdays before a holiday weekend are horrendous no matter what time of day.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Please provide a link to the law that states such. Be aware that laws on transporting propane cylinders and portable tanks do not apply. Only laws on propane motor fuel tanks that are OEM installed parts of the vehicle.

The tanks on travel trailers ARE illegal in the tunnels. I will grant you that.

The laws for the different types of tanks are very different as are the certifications for each. Propane powered taxis, school busses and other commercial vehicles use those tunnels all the time. The DOT tank on most motor homes falls under the same rules.
If your MH is powered by propane you can go through. But not your storage propane over 10 lbs. I live and drive an 18 wheel tanker in the area and I cannot go through the tunnels hauling Propane, Gasoline or othe highly flamable liquids. I can haul fuel oil, diesel fuel, jet fuel and kerocine through the tunnels. Read this link carefully and click on the COMAR link within.
http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/propane.html
Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #46
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Thomas Hatem Bridge

We traveled pretty regularly for several years over the Thomas Hatem Bridge in Maryland to get to our pleasure boat in Havre de Grace. They sold a decal for $5 and it allowed travel for a year across this bridge with no additional fees. Don't know if this is still available.

Be careful and watch your speed (northbound) coming into the toll booth area. It is a speed trap. Maryland troopers hide behind the toll booth with a radar gun. The speed limit on the entire bridge is either 20 or 25 mph.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
randco
Do youself a favor and avoid the whole metro area. We travel back to NJ every spring from Fl. The route I take is slightly longer but 100% more relaxing and scenic. I despise driving through DC/Baltimore metro area. In S Carolina pickup I-27 North to I-77 then to to I-81 through the Shenandoah Valley to Pa and Jersey. You will probably reroute north somewhere in Pa to New York State you'll have to check the map for the best route but the drive is much better, especially the NJ Turnpike when you get near the NY metro area its a nightmare not good for rv driving.
This should work great for us. We were planning to visit friends in Mooresville, NC so we will stop off there then continue northbound on I-77 to I-81 the stay on I-81 until it merges with I-78 northeast of Harrisburg, PA.We will continue on I-78 until I get to the I-78 / I-287 junction then take I-287 Northbound until we get to the I-287 / I-87 junction near Suffern, NY. We can follow I-287 / I-87 and cross the Tappan Zee bridge (wow $24.75 toll) The next dilema is, if we take State Hwy 9 north after crossing the bridge. Is Hwy 9 safe travel northbound to Croton on Hudson? Safe meaning no low overpasses. We are 12' 3" including the A/C units.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I avoid the Tappazee bridge like the plague traveling from Eastern NC to Maine each year. It puts me on to I-95 either to Rhode Island or up to Hartford. I-95 in CT is no fun for me. I ride the NJT to the Garden State Pkwy (GSP), then the NY Thruway (north) to just south of Albany, then due East to pick up I-94 in MA to the Boston area (take the west loop around Boston) back on to I-95 north. I feel like I've just been released from prison when I get North of NYC. The bride always sez to me "why are you going the long way?" I asked her if she would like to drive and pick her own way- That would be great for me. Silence is then golden-.

I now use the west loops around the DC, Baltimore areas-

I pick up the NJT and fuel up at the first fuel stop going north and stop again at the last fuel stop on the GSP in NJ (I'm not sure about the availability of Diesel fuel on the northern most service stations on the GSP) as The fuel prices are set once a week, by law, on the two NJ highways. This happens at 7am every Friday and they are good for one full week. Their prices are always among the lowest in the country. By law, in NJ, you cannot refuel your vehicle- an attendent must do it for you. Oh, you can use most of the GSP, (I think the Southern part is still restricted) no commercial traffic allowed, however I see commercial busses and some Semis on the part I use on every trip I make.

One other tip-
E-Zpass makes the trip almost a joyful experience. Call 1-888-288-6865, or online www.EZPassNJ.com. They will take a CC, charge $25 to it, and it will re-trigger automatically as you proceed on a pleasant worry free, toll booth experience. They will send you two units, if you wish, one for the "toad" if you want it. You then place it (the toads E-ZPass) in a provided silver lined pouch, so it cannot be read by the charge equipment. Provide the "toads" license plate number and the make and model of such. Update the "toad" info as the years pass by. Pictures are taken of the rear of your vehicles at each booth, so the license plates and make and model of everything is recorded.
The fee for this service is $1.00/Month-.

Some of the toll booths are "Fly Through" at Turnpike speeds. Others are narrow, you can always use the truck toll booth if you have any concerns. I just go real slow at the narrow ones.

I love watching everbody being backed up at the Non- E-ZPass booths, It can be a nightmare. You'll get a monthly starement to review you charges.

Hope this info helps some of you folks. I leave on Tuesday on this exact trip to Maine- (4/26/2011) .

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:04 PM   #49

Also one more I-95 construction note. The Delaware toll booths are under construction and the existing lanes are VERY tight and the wide load lanes are usually closed. The north bound traffic backups can be 5 miles or more at times during the day.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:35 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
If your MH is powered by propane you can go through. But not your storage propane over 10 lbs. I live and drive an 18 wheel tanker in the area and I cannot go through the tunnels hauling Propane, Gasoline or othe highly flamable liquids. I can haul fuel oil, diesel fuel, jet fuel and kerocine through the tunnels. Read this link carefully and click on the COMAR link within.
http://www.mdta.maryland.gov/propane.html

Yes, exaclty as I thought although I had the names of the container types incorrect.

What is installed on most motorhomes is a permanently installed ASME fuel tank for the propane and permanenly connected part of the vehicles fuel system (does not have to power the main drive engine).

What the prohibition referrs to are DOT cylinders transporting propane.

The tanks on most motorhomes are completely legal through the tunnel as originally stated, just as are other propane fueled vehicles.

Travel trailers with DOT cylinders and trucks carrying propane transport are not.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #51

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good points-

I know they won't allow "open flame" propane devices to be in operation, ie. refrigerators, furnaces. That would require you to prove, if your stopped, that those devices are all turned off and the supplying tank valve is closed.

All too much trouble for me-
Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Yes, exaclty as I thought although I had the names of the container types incorrect.

What is installed on most motorhomes is a permanently installed ASME fuel tank for the propane and permanenly connected part of the vehicles fuel system (does not have to power the main drive engine).

What the prohibition referrs to are DOT cylinders transporting propane.

The tanks on most motorhomes are completely legal through the tunnel as originally stated, just as are other propane fueled vehicles.

Travel trailers with DOT cylinders and trucks carrying propane transport are not.
You are not reading the regs correctly. If you drive a MH with 10 lbs. or more propane other then used to power the MH YOU WILL BE FINED IF CAUGHT. Give then a call as I did.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #53
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
randco
In South Carolina its I-26 North not 27 sorry.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #54

I have avoided Baltimore & Washington for years ever since I sat in traffic for over three hours one trip. 301 is a little longer but a lot less stressful and has a lot more scenery to enjoy.
Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park View Post
I have avoided Baltimore & Washington for years ........ 301 is a little longer but a lot less stressful and has a lot more scenery to enjoy.
The nicest way to go in our opinion also
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
Does anyone know the tool for the Key Bridge, MH with a toad?

dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote