Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #15
Proper maintenance is all that is required to make yourself happy with slides. You deserve to hear the many more positives then only neg. to show your wife.

Dale&Susan, 08 Alfa Gold, DaGirlsRv,
KoKo(Rainbow Bridge)&Della(Rainbow Bridge) 08 Jeep Liberty_Solar_940W Solar_660 AmpHr
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #16
Jayco Owners Club
C'mon folks... Help a brother out... DANG SLIDES!!!!

Is that better?

Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:41 PM   #17
The concept of 'slide outs' (expandables etc) plus 'pop-ups have been around since Nov. 28, 1922.

About time you gave it a try............you'll like it

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:44 PM   #18

Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I have four slides. The major negatives to date are:

1. I don't get much exercise crawling over and around the bed.
2. Way too much room in the living room. I sometimes lay down sideways on the floor while watching TV to try and fill all the space.
3. Friends like to gather in my coach due to all the space.
4. Lots of extra carpet to vacuum.
5. Lots of extra roof space to wash.
6. Lots of extra exterior space to wash and wax.
7. Setup/Tear down time is at least 5 minutes longer waiting for those big slides to crawl in/out.
8. My cat does not like the sight of the walls moving in on him.
You took the words right out of my mouth! Only difference is our cats like to sit on the couch and take a ride when the slide goes in or out!

When people come inside my MH they say "My goodness, you've got a dance floor in your living room!". That's embarrassing.

With two of the slides opposing and the big screen LED HD TV on the slideout wall opposite the couch and Euro recliner, it's set up just like at home. That's a problem because who wants an arrangement just like they have at home?

With having some big slideouts, people might think that you're rich (we're not) and try to mooch off of you. That could be a problem.

People with slides like to put that little map of the US with the colored states on the end wall of one of the slides. That's a problem when you're driving down the road. No one can see where you've been.

There must be tons more of negatives, but I'll have to think about it a bit as I'm sure I'll think of more.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #19
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We prefer not to have the slides. The more room we would have the more junk we would collect. Take down and set up without slides is quick as we do not spend a lot of time in one place. It is about what fits your needs. I have enough fun maintain the one I have without slides giving me problems.

She wants to be able to walk around inside without having slides in the way when overnighting at Walmart, stopping on the side of the road for potty break or fixing lunch. We like the simplicity of the unit with out a lot of extra gadgets

This is not to say slides are not good, they just don't fit in our style of travel.
1996 Damon DayBreak 2500 454 P37 Chassis
NRA Benefactor, NRA, OSBI Certified instructor,
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:35 PM   #20
Tiffin Owners Club
Slides are great, wouldn't be without a couple. Just pull the pegs, fold up and good to go !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVold.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	126291  
Ret. Military/Corporate Pilot
Key West Snowbirds
The Short Bus - 450 HP
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #21
I beg for a favor!

Our Mandalay has four slides. We love 'em!

The additional living space and comfort they provide FAR outweighs any negatives they may cause. Those negatives are...uh...er...give me a minute...uh...

Nope. Can't come up with any negatives.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #22
We love having the slides, wouldn't be without them. They make such a difference in living space. I did have to replace the seal on the hydraulic pump but did it myself and maybe cost $30.00 in parts but well worth it.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #23
Have had a fifth wheel and two diesel pushers with slides. Occasionally I had to lube the 5th wheel slide. Had a leak on a hydraulic hose going to a slide cylinder once. Never had any of them fail to go in or out and have never had to adjust them. My current coach only has two slides but they are very long and opposing for half their lengths. So you don't need 4 to get a lot of room but I would always have at least 1 . The benefits far outweigh the negatives. Think of it like this, they are about like hydraulic levelers dependability wise and you could have a coach without levelers but life would be a little more difficult but doable. Most manufacturers have been putting slides in for a lot of years now and have them really reliable and waterproof. I'm sure there have been problems but I don't believe it's the norm. I think it would be pretty difficult to find one without slides unless you special ordered one or bought an older coach.
07 Winnebago Vectra 40 TD ISL 400. Tru-balance, centramatics, Koni shocks
RSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
What is this "Slide" thing y'all speak of?
92 Crown Signature, 330 Cummins
Future iRV2 Moderator...vote for Dan Osborne
Dan Osborne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
Well here is a huge issue with slides.....when my Full Wall Slide is out and the opposing kitchen slide is out, the Surround Sound seems to sound better on the 50" TV in the Full Wall Slide, than the 40" TV above the dash. It's become quite an issue! Tell your wife that it's really ruined RVing for us.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:43 PM   #26
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our '00 Dutch Star only had two slide, DW wanted more so we got the '02 with three slides. Then last year we got the present rig with four. In all that time I've never had one totally fail. However Cummins NW in Portland OR did manage to break two Koni shocks and break a bedroom slide adjuster, which I hacve since fixed.
Having four slides does open it up inside!.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6999 (46).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	126304  
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 PM   #27
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
........could you post your NEGATIVE (and negative only!) experiences with slides.........like "slide won't come out" (no problem for ME!), "slide won't come in" (BIG problem if one is trying to get on the road from "middle of nowhere")
Well...there was that time in Missoula, MT.

I had arranged for a "quick stop" at a service place to have a couple of slideout toppers replaced. It was all carefully orchestrated so I'd be in at 8 and out by noon...or so. Turned out to be "or so."

About 10 minutes before closing time, the service writer I was working with came over to let me know that the job was done. It would expedite the process if I'd "settle up" while it was being brought out to the parking lot. No problem, happy to oblige. So, once the paperwork was done, I went out to the parking lot. Since I didn't plan to be back through Missoula any time soon, I wanted to get out the ladder, extend the slides and make sure it was all good, before I left. Slides out; up the ladder; all looks good; bedroom slide (electro-mechanical) back in; front slide (hydro-mechanical) STUCK OUT!!!!

Yup, your worst nightmare. I went back inside to see if there was anyone still there who might know "the trick" to get things working again. It turned out that one of the techs, quite familiar with slideout issues, was still there. He came out and soon diagnosed the problem as a failed motor on the hydraulic pump. The BEST solution was to replace the motor.

I say best, because there is an alternate method of using an electric drill to drive the hydraulic pump to retract the slideout. Now, you need to appreciate that the same pump is necessary for two slideouts AND the leveling jacks. Yes, I could have used that alternate method to retract the slideout and then departed. HOWEVER, it would have left me unable to easily extend/retract two slideouts and operate the leveling jacks.

It was on a Monday evening when this adventure started. So, we camped in the parking lot that night. It was mid-day Tuesday before a complete diagnosis was completed and the necessary replacement part was identified. The necessary part wasn't in stock locally; available from an east coast supplier; already past close of business on the east coast. So, it wasn't until Wednesday that the part was ordered. Next day delivery to Montana put it in place late on Thursday. Unfortunately workload didn't permit installation until the following MONDAY morning.

So, it was early afternoon on Monday before we were on our way again.

Yes, it took us a week.

Still, before you "rub your wife's nose in it", you need to know that we still love the additional room that our four slideouts afford us. We spend almost 6 months a year living in our motorhome and I can't imagine living without the additional space the slideouts afford.

Take care,

P.S. The replacement motor had a retail price of about $700. I've subsequently acquired a spare for $100 that I carry with me. Just in case.

P.P.S. Missoula, MT isn't a bad place to be stuck. Several nearby interesting places to see; an overnight trip to Glacier National park. We made some lemonade from the lemons.
"A superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgement to avoid situations which might require the demonstration of his superior skills."
777 Driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:02 PM   #28
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine has 3 slides. Love the room. Opposing slides in the living room make for a huge room. Very comfortable. Its part of what sold me on that coach. So far, thankfully, no problems.

2005 Newmar Kountry Star Gas 3742
Workhorse W24, 8.1L/Allison 5-spd
JT, Em & the boys, Kong and George (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote