Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielsand View Post
I am pretty "hard headed" (according to DW). When we shopped for our DP, I insisted I don't want ANY slides. She loves our coach, don't get me wrong, but she is "clandestinely" mentioning how "nice it would be to have a slide" (or two, or three, or four!!!).

So I would like to ask for a favor,........could you post your NEGATIVE (and negative only!) experiences with slides.........like "slide won't come out" (no problem for ME!), "slide won't come in" (BIG problem if one is trying to get on the road from "middle of nowhere"), "slide is leaking" (closed or open), "my cat got crushed by the slide", "slide fell out (extended itself) on it's own going down the road".......stuff like that?

I'd like to "rub her snout" into this post.

Thanks.
Sorry about your luck.

On another thread the fellow wrote he wanted a RV (without slides) so he and his wife bought one. He came home after work to find the trailer hooked to his truck and all his stuff in the trailer. Wife said 'You have a place to live and this is it".

Time to admit you were wrong and she is correct. LOL

You have to say it . . . . . you do!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I hope that you had the seal replaced in the pump also.
Yup!

Good advice, though.

Take care,
Stu

Old 05-07-2016, 09:29 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry, I can't imagine going to all the expense of having a DP and not having slides. I've never had problems with slides and the additional living space is without question what makes it comfortable.

Good Luck!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:53 PM   #46

We went from a two slide coach to a four slide coach. The extra living space is fantastic. We don't full time, but we did four months this past winter and are looking forward to five this coming winter. DW and I had plenty of space. We've had a persistent leak on one slide that I think we finally have resolved. We've looked at other coaches with two or three slides, but so for we've found nothing else that would work for us. We won't give up our slides.
BillL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #47

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I'm just curious as to why anyone would insist on not having a slide/slides.
Seems to me kinda like insisting on wearing underwear two sizes too small.
If you have ever gone skiing in the winter,you really dont want slides. Too cold and very hard to heat.
Just Saying!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by HicksRA View Post
I'm just curious as to why anyone would insist on not having a slide/slides.
Seems to me kinda like insisting on wearing underwear two sizes too small.
Because the OP wants one of these:

1985 Prevost Prevost, Mesa AZ - - RVtrader.com
Old 05-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post

Kinda takes me back to Ralph Cramdon and the "Honey Mooners" 😜
Old 05-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post

That one is about 10 years older than the one I want. I want Detroit 60 back there!
Old 05-08-2016, 09:16 AM   #51

I beg for a favor!

What I don't get is why your wife even wants to spend time with you either with a slide or without one. You want to "rub her snout" in it?? Unless she works on it, drives it or maintains it she has no choice? I do all the work on mine yet I consider my wife's opinion on our motorhome. I have slides because I enjoy being married and know that trying to live in a cramped motorhome where I can sit on one couch and put my feet up on the other one and where two people can't easily work together in the kitchen isn't my idea of a lot of fun. That reminds me of my first apartment with the galley kitchen, that was 37 years ago and I wouldn't go back.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Oh come on Danielsand, we can see right through this campaign. As nice as your Vogue is, you're trying to convince the wife that it's time to step up to a Prevost based coach. A nice well cared for 45', will give you extra space, and that Prevost based coach. And with non slide Prevosts based coaches now available at mere mortal prices - we're on to you!

OK, per your request:

-We had a bedroom slide weld brake on a trip to Alaska
-We had a bedroom slide leak before fixing of the frame weld going
-We sometimes can not fit in narrow campgrounds with the slide out
-Slides do get in the way of the underneath basement storage access
-Slides may make a coach less rigid, and thus not as strong, and thus less accident protection
-Slides add weight to a coach
-Slides are usually less well insulated, and thus the coach can get cooler or hotter accordingly
-Slides, with and without slide toppers, can get water build up, and or snow and ice build up. Ice and snow build up, can keep you from being able to retract your slide when you want to head out.
-Slides mean more exterior surface space needs to be washed and waxed
-Slides flooring can be uneven, causing a potential tripping point
-A slide stuck into open position, can keep you from departure
-A slide in a poorly designed coach, that will not open, could keep you from getting to your booze cabinet
-A slide keeps your main squeeze just the much further away from you
-A slide does add extra costs to ongoing maintenance
-Slides loose about 4-6" of upper cabinet space
-Slides with moving plumbing, can be more problematic

I'll stop here. If I were you, I would selectively 'cut and paste' from the responses to this post, and add it to a word document to share with the wife...

You guys have a rolling classic, from era of unique high end classic rigs. And from your previous posts, I see that as a point of pride in our wording.

But all that being said. Sir, the words of wisdom about keeping the DW happy rang thru. And you know, their are some very nice well built coaches with slides, that area also very nice to drive around in. Maybe make a game out of looking for higher end older coaches. Perhaps a compromise, where you look for another high end classic, say one with only one slide in the living area as the one slides coaches are less $$ then the two + slides coaches. And acquire your next rolling classic....

A win/win, if the DW is happy, and you perhaps get a coach with sam a BIG BLOCK engine with 2 or 3 stage Jake Compression brake...

Best to you,
Smitty
Thank you Smitty!

I will erase the beginning of your post, and print out the "list of slide problems for her"!!! She never goes to this site anyway, and she will never see through the "plan". I purchased the Vogue as a stepping stone, knowing once she takes a ride in a high end DP, she will be sold. She is. Except she thinks this Vogue should see me to my grave, but I still have few good years left in me. I could've purchased "my first coach last", but I foolishly let it go to someone else in order to "manage my investments". Shoulda purchased THAT one, and be done.

Well,.....half the fun (or more!) is in the "hunt" for the right unit. A VERY nice Prevost from the mid 90s can be had for less than 200K (no problem financially), the problem is........WE (her and I both) detest laminate furniture in the newer ones, and we have to search for the one with real (dark) wood interior. Upholstery is not important (it will get redone), it has to have under 100K on the clock, one owner, garaged at all times, absolutely no rust, or any other damage in the past. Not easy to find.

This is the "one that got away".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1990prevostlindenxl_legacy1117-06.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	126450   Click image for larger version

Name:	1990prevostlindenxl_legacy1117-07.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	126451  

Old 05-08-2016, 09:32 AM   #53

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
"Upholstery is not important (it will get redone), it has to have under 100K on the clock, one owner, garaged at all times, absolutely no rust, or any other damage in the past."
Wow - small world Danielsand, I am looking for a lady that fits that exact description. No luck here either....

JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #54

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
First I want to say I absolutely love our slides and the space it gives us. There have been problems...On a trip to Austin the full length slide had a problem. Holiday Rambler did a poor job of installing it initially. The cables were shredding and with some luck Stan noticed it when we were parked. The mobile service specialized in slides and fixed it in the campground. The bill was $1200 but $900 was covered by insurance.

This winter the dinette slide would only go out or in 6 inches at a time. The problem happened in our driveway. Stan performed all the tests and although it passed them all the support line for Power Gear suggested replacing the motor for the slide. It then worked once and stopped again.....Stan finally deduced on his own that it must be a kink in the power cables. It looks like he will direct wire it , but that jury is still out. We now have a back up slide motor.

Is it worth the aggravation??? Yes it is...
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #55

Quote:
That one is about 10 years older than the one I want. I want Detroit 60 back there!
Ahhh..more like this.

1994 Prevost Marathon Coach 40 XL, La Mesa CA - - RVtrader.com

this is even better:

1998 Prevost Liberty CLASSIC 45XL, Kerrville TX - - RVtrader.com
Old 05-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #56

Quote:
Thank you Smitty!

I will erase the beginning of your post, and print out the "list of slide problems for her"!!! She never goes to this site anyway, and she will never see through the "plan". I purchased the Vogue as a stepping stone, knowing once she takes a ride in a high end DP, she will be sold. She is. Except she thinks this Vogue should see me to my grave, but I still have few good years left in me. I could've purchased "my first coach last", but I foolishly let it go to someone else in order to "manage my investments". Shoulda purchased THAT one, and be done.

Well,.....half the fun (or more!) is in the "hunt" for the right unit. A VERY nice Prevost from the mid 90s can be had for less than 200K (no problem financially), the problem is........WE (her and I both) detest laminate furniture in the newer ones, and we have to search for the one with real (dark) wood interior. Upholstery is not important (it will get redone), it has to have under 100K on the clock, one owner, garaged at all times, absolutely no rust, or any other damage in the past. Not easy to find.

This is the "one that got away".

I remember that thread - didn't you buy your current coach about 6 months ago? Sorry - but we also love our slides.