Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #1

I broke my windshield

While traveling through Columbus, OH last week, I broke my big windshield. I was driving along on I-70 when I see this rock, bouncing along the highway in front of me. I watched it for what seemed like an eternity bounching from side to side and with nowhere for me to go. In an instant it launched and disappeared from my view with a large "CRACK" sound. Wow It made a big noise. I could not see where it hit.

I stopped for fuel a couple of hundred miles later, and found the damage.

So brings me to my journey to get my windshield replaced. When I arrived home, I contacted my insurance carrier. In the state of Kentucky, insurance companies are required to replace your windshield at no charge as long as you carry comprehensive coverage. So, I got a claim number and was told by my carrier to contact Safelite for repair.

What a joke.

Safelite has no idea what a motorhome is, at least not the person I spoke to. He started out sounding fairly knowlegeable....at first. He wanted to know the "make" of the motorhome. When I told him a Sportscoach Pathfinder by Coachmen, for a moment I thought the phone went dead. Then he said that "most motorhomes are built on a specific chassis, what is the chassis?" I knew it would go south from there. I told him "Freightliner", then he wanted to know what "class of truck, like M2, Cascadia, etc." Clueless. When I told him the chassis had nothing to do with the windshield he told me I was wrong. Then he said I needed to get a part number from the manufacturer. So, I'm on the phone to Forest River. Forest River has always been very helpful whenever I've called them for information. They told mw my windshield was manufactured by Guardian Automotive, and gave me an 800 number to contact them. I call Guardian. They give me an 800 number to their service centers. I call the service center. The closest service center they have to Louisville is in Indianapolis or Ashland. Neither is very close to me. So, they gave me another number to Advance Auto Glass in Louisville. I contacted them, and they are now contacting another company they order glass through, to contact Guardian...yadayadayada

I think I may be on track for a repair as soon as they can locate my windishield. I'll keep you posted to the outcome.

Here's my break.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	28300  

Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to adehaan86
Was that a rock or a baseball?

adehaan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Look for the Part Numbers in one of the corrners of the glass. Mine are on the outside bottom, written in black.

Dick
Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Try here. RV windshield replacement 1-800-844-9260. Nationwide service.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #5

Duncan in Elkhart Indians is the guardian Rv glass where house they will need the number etched in the glass
Old 10-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #6

It looks like a good tech could repair your chip.

I just went through this process with SafeLite. Last year Guardian was the processor (she knew RVs). With me, they just asked for general info and ask where I would like the work to be done. Just last year I had the same WS glass replaced so I told them I would take it there. From there she called the shop and then the shop contacted me for detailed info. Had a they had a problem finding a side window being replaced at the same time, but, they did all the leg work.

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #7

Couldn't you just call the insurance adjuster back and say Saflite was no help? When we had ours replaced, the insurance company took care of all the details arranging for the mobile repair guy to call and make an appointment. I guess I must be a little strange, but I would expect more help than for someone to say just go to Safelite.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #8

I'm working with Advanced Auto Glass in Louisville. They are finding the windshield now and will schedule an install once it arrives. For those that asked, they cannot repair a break that is within 1 inch of the edge of the windshield. Mine radiates all the way to the edge.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #9

Just curious to know. How much do they cost (average)????
Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #10

I have a 2 piece in June it was $1470
Old 10-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #11

Ur. Not alone. Had rock chip repaired. Then a turkey took both windshields out. Talk about a bang.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3085957323.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	674.9 KB
ID:	28316  
Old 10-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whem2fish View Post
Duncan in Elkhart Indians is the guardian Rv glass where house they will need the number etched in the glass

I agree using Duncan. They ordered my glass and shipped it when they found a glass place.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #13

I have a crack in my drivers' side windshield. I called my insurance company and they have arranged to ship me a new windshield. I have a deductible so my cost will be $500.00.

My insurance company said that if the crack was under 6 inches (less than the size of a dollar bill), the windshield could be repaired. Over 6 inches and the windshield would have to be replaced. My crack is about 7 inches long.

A new windshield is has been shipped from Arizona and should arrive here in Washington State in 3 to 5 days. The windshield should arrive sometime between Monday and Wednesday.

The installer said that my windshield was bonded into the coach frame. Does anyone know how long I need to wait for the bonding material to set before I can drive the rig?

Safe Travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
I have a crack in my drivers' side windshield. I called my insurance company and they have arranged to ship me a new windshield. I have a deductible so my cost will be $500.00.

My insurance company said that if the crack was under 6 inches (less than the size of a dollar bill), the windshield could be repaired. Over 6 inches and the windshield would have to be replaced. My crack is about 7 inches long.

A new windshield is has been shipped from Arizona and should arrive here in Washington State in 3 to 5 days. The windshield should arrive sometime between Monday and Wednesday.

The installer said that my windshield was bonded into the coach frame. Does anyone know how long I need to wait for the bonding material to set before I can drive the rig?

Safe Travels.

JD
For bonded auto windshields, I believe it's about 12 hours or so...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote