Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
WA also has an exemption for private RV drivers.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Check www.changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml for each states requirements.

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
"a friend drove me over and left"....should work but I doubt they would even ask.
In Maryland, the "official" rule is that a properly licensed driver must accompany you to the test site (and anywhere else you drive the RV while you have your RV "learner's permit"). They will check that driver's license, and he/she must hang around to get your vehicle out of there if you don't pass.

Unofficially, some offices tell you (as mine did) that they waive that requirement for your first attempt only. I guess if you flunk, though, they wouldn't want you driving it back home. FYI, in MD you can fail for something as small as hitting a curb on the road test.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:41 PM   #18

I'm in new jersey and from the looks of it I need to get a different license to drive my discovery
Old 12-05-2011, 05:45 PM   #19

Sorry for the double post. But I have a question why do they allow you to register a vehicle that you can't drive or get insurance on it?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #20

Its called individual responsibility. Do you really want the Government telling you what to do? Oh wait... You are from New Jersey.... My bad
Old 12-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #21

Ha ha ha your funny
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #22

My Motorhome is over 26,000 lbs. I live in Texas and needed the Class B license. I read several msg posts from others in Texas who said to only read Chapter 15 in the drivers manual, and how easy the driving test would be. This did not work for me and the written test at the DPS office was pulled out of a file cabinet and seemed to be the full blown CDL test covering mud flaps, tarps covering gravel loads on semi trucks, positioning of road flares an all sorts of items I was not familiar with, but somehow I did pass. I protested this may not be the correct test for Class B and was told it was the correct test and to take it or leave. I passed by just one point as I was not prepared to take this test based on forum posts from others in Texas. Then the driving exam was from hell and lasted at least 45 minutes, with parallel parking, freeway driving, city driving, at least 15 lane changes, backing in a straight line, and a 5 step air brake check that was a pass fail if you did not know how to explain the system in detail and demo all 5 steps in testing the system. I had boned up on the air brakes and the 5 steps so this was the easy part. So just wanted to say that my experience was not anywhere near what others in Texas said they had to do. Not sure why but I was put thru the wringer by an examiner who said they had failed a CDL driver the day before due to not knowing his air brake system on his semi truck and could not demo the 5 steps required under Texas CDL law. I guess I drew the wrong examiner and I could tell by the demeanor this was not going to be a cake walk and it was not.
So word to the wise, is to be very prepared as I feel I was given the full CDL written and driving exam even tho I applied for and was issued the Class B non commercial endorsement.

Rod

2002 Bounder 39R DP
Old 12-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
I'm in new jersey and from the looks of it I need to get a different license to drive my discovery
How do you figure?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Texas doesn't either.... Yea!!!!!!
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh. I am not going to rehash what has previously been posted in other threads, but I really, really urge you to read the entire drivers license manual for Texas.

Pay attention to the section titled:

"CLASSIFIED DRIVER LICENSE (Texas Transportation Code, Section 521)"

and please, please do not get it confused with

"COMMERCIAL DRIVER LICENSE (CDL) - (Transportation Code, Chapter 522)"

The classification of license you require is contained in Chapter 521, NOT 522.

People use the wrong assumption when they search the manual. They use the word(s) CDL and that leads them to misinformation. The manual really needs to take out that statement about RV's. You are only exempt from a "Commercial Drivers License" that is driven for personal use, NOT a class license for your vehicle. So read Chapter 521, that is what applies.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
Probably a silly question, but did you drive your MH to the examining station? I'm concerned that the examiner may ask, "If you don't have the proper license yet, who drove the rig here?"
I asked the Texas State Trooper who runs the DMV the same question. He said the simple fact that you are complying with the "spirit of the law" to get your Class B license will take care of you. They don't give the same leeway to 18-wheeler licensees, tho.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot737 View Post
My Motorhome is over 26,000 lbs. I live in Texas and needed the Class B license. I read several msg posts from others in Texas who said to only read Chapter 15 in the drivers manual, and how easy the driving test would be. This did not work for me and the written test at the DPS office was pulled out of a file cabinet and seemed to be the full blown CDL test covering mud flaps, tarps covering gravel loads on semi trucks, positioning of road flares an all sorts of items I was not familiar with, but somehow I did pass. I protested this may not be the correct test for Class B and was told it was the correct test and to take it or leave. I passed by just one point as I was not prepared to take this test based on forum posts from others in Texas. Then the driving exam was from hell and lasted at least 45 minutes, with parallel parking, freeway driving, city driving, at least 15 lane changes, backing in a straight line, and a 5 step air brake check that was a pass fail if you did not know how to explain the system in detail and demo all 5 steps in testing the system. I had boned up on the air brakes and the 5 steps so this was the easy part. So just wanted to say that my experience was not anywhere near what others in Texas said they had to do. Not sure why but I was put thru the wringer by an examiner who said they had failed a CDL driver the day before due to not knowing his air brake system on his semi truck and could not demo the 5 steps required under Texas CDL law. I guess I drew the wrong examiner and I could tell by the demeanor this was not going to be a cake walk and it was not.
So word to the wise, is to be very prepared as I feel I was given the full CDL written and driving exam even tho I applied for and was issued the Class B non commercial endorsement.

Rod

2002 Bounder 39R DP
Ditto to Rod, but I didn't trust them about being tested only for chapters 14 and 15, so I studied the entire booklet - thank God!
I had questions like: What is the maximum height of the trailer lights on an empty flatbed trailer?
What is the maximum speed limit for a rated super heavy wide load vehicle on the Interstate?
What is the maximum trailer overhang over the cab of a tractor-trailer?

Easy questions like those...
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Another thought.

There are always people who say "you don't need a special license to drive an RV over 26,000 lbs in Texas." After all, like your car, it is private.

That's true. I might add, "you don't even need a license to drive a car", and "you can drive if you've been drinking alcoholic beverages and your blood alcohol is above 0.8."

You CAN drive a car without a license. You CAN drive not only AFTER drinking, but WHILE drinking.

You must pray that your arresting officer is ignorant of the law.

Believe me, when you hit some jerk that just pulled in front of you, THEIR lawyer will be familiar with the law. Don't worry, you don't have to be; they will help educate you.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
How do you figure?
its over 26k