Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #29

How come I do not see where it says that?

From the website.
RV's used strictly for recreational and other non-commercial functions do not meet the FMCSA definition of a CMV
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I am surprised more states don't require a special class license for some of the bigger rigs.
Will admit I am glad my state doesn't. I'm sure I could pass. Just one more thing I don't want to add to my growing list of things to do.

I have always been amazed that your entire driving experience could have been driving a 5,000 lb, 15' long car and jump right in to a 40' MH weighing in at 34,000 lb (17 tons) and simply drive off. I can hear the driver asking his wife, "what did he say that exhaust break was for?" or trying to plan a route with only left hand turns because he was tired of dragging the the right side of the coach on telephone polls and stop signs. I pick on us males because as a group we are stubborn enough to believe if it has wheels we can drive it, our wives on the other hand tend to be a bit smarter. We are now old enough to know we are no longer 8' tall and bullet proof but sometimes its just hard to admit.

I would bet there are more states requiring motorcycle endorsements than a class license for a MH.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #31

Forget about driving RV's, think about this.

I do not know how it is in other states but here in New Jersey the driving tests consists of driving through a residential neighborhood at <15 MPH, making a couple of turns and parallel parking.
This "test" take around 10 min. I say this because the driving test is in my neighborhood.
The driver is not required to drive on any kind of highway, stop at at a stop light, merge into traffic.

Oh well. I would hope a individual purchasing a RV (large or small) has driven a number of years and miles.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #32

My driving test was about 45 minutes long. It did involve highway speed, merging, turns, etc... just no parallel parking or backing which isn't a problem since I have 3 cameras on board.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:30 AM   #33

OK... as a long time residence of Texas this was an eye openner for me. For years I've been living under the illussion that I was exempt because that's what I was told by several sources including a clerk at the Texas Driver's License Office (years ago).

Well... I just got off the phone with the local Texas DPS Drivers License Office and this is what the woman explained to me.

1) YES ... I do need a non-commercial Class B license to operate a motorhome with a GVWR over 26,000 lbs.
2) There are 2 tests. A written test and a road test.
3) The difference between the Commercial(CDL) and non-Commecial license are the number of test you have to take. A CDL requires 6 separate tests, while the non-CDL only requires 2.
4) The 1 written test you take, is also used for the CDL, so you're taking the exact same test, but only one of them. This explains some of the questions others have described on this thread.
5) On the Road Test I will be required to:
- back the vehicle
- parallel park (but there are no cones or predetermined space)
- perform left and right turns
- Demonstrate ability to operate the vehicle in a controlled manner.
- and will go over air brakes and verify their operation, but I am "exempt from having to be certified on air brakes" which means they tell me the 5 points but I'm not required to know them.
6) For the written test I need to study:
- Chapter 15 of the standards Driver's Manual
- Chapters 12, 13, & 14 of the CDL manual (both available on line)
7) the CDL will cost $69. The non-CDL will cost only $25

I aslo asked if I needed to get someone with a Class B license to drive my coach to the Driver's License Office. She said... "We don't ask how you got here, we just need you and the vehicle here." She went on to explain that the reason there is so much confussion is because at one time (she was guessing 5 or 6 years ago), you could operate a private coach over 26,000 lbs on a class C license, but the Texas Legislature changed the law, but really didn't do much about getting the word out.

She also explained that everyone understands that the law is somewhat vague and in conflict with Chapter 522, and as a consequence, most law enforecement officers don't enforce it and typically will just let you off with a warning at the worst... "unless they've had a really bad day." Her words, not mine.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
QUOTE: 5) On the Road Test I will be required to:
- back the vehicle
- parallel park (but there are no cones or predetermined space)
- perform left and right turns
- Demonstrate ability to operate the vehicle in a controlled manner.
- and will go over air brakes and verify their operation, but I am "exempt from having to be certified on air brakes" which means they tell me the 5 points but I'm not required to know them.

All of this is true. Also, the DPS State Trooper required that I enter and exit the Interstate and change lanes.

EXAGGERATE THE MOVEMENTS OF YOUR HEAD WHEN YOU CHECK YOUR MIRRORS so that the DPS officer doesn't have to guess whether you checked or not! Obviously, don't speed, don't run yellow lights.

I was telling him what I was doing, and he said that he would observe and not to tell him what I was doing. He was nice about it, tho.

Also, while on the Interstate, he said, "As part of the test, demonstrate to me how you pull to the Emergency Lane of the expressway. He was looking for me to pull off safely, bring the vehicle to a complete stop, put on the Emergency Flashers, apply the Air Brake, Turn the engine off, exit the vehicle safely, go to the rear of the coach, get and place the emergency triangles (triangles or flares are required to have on board in Texas). He didn't make me set up the triangles. He did look to see that I had used the turn indicator to re-enter the expressway.

He did not have me go thru the Air Brake check, but asked me to "talk [him] through the procedure."

I had to back the coach 100 feet in a straight line, parrellel park (on an open, deserted street (whew!!), make both right and left hand turns and of course the expressway check.

He did check to see if I had replacement FUSES in every location where there is a fuse box, and wanted to see the emergency triangles and/or flares. He didn't ask how far apart the triangles are supposed to be.

He also had me turn on the lights (Hi and Low beams), signals, emergency flashers, and windshield wipers prior to our road test.

There were 5 of us who took the written: me and 4 professional drivers. They were giving me a little good natured crap prior to the test because I had my 40' RV parked on the street out front. I was the only one who passed the written, and I missed several questions.

If you are taking the test, or considering it, I hope what I've related has helped.

The previous poster said the troopers would give a warning "unless they've had a bad day." I have several friends who are troopers. A bad day for them is if they didn't get their coffee, lunch, if it is raining, too sunny, too cloudy, too hot, too cold, wife just called...
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #35

I didnt need to show the Flare or spare fuses, and she didnt ask me about the pull over procedures. I had to do the air brake leak down test and bring the air pressure down until the triangle popped. She asked "did they issue one license plate or two" I said two. She then went to the front of the coach and stated I had to have the second license plate mounted to the front and technically that was enough to deny giving me the road test. She looked at the front end, saw their was no way in hell to mount a license plate so she ignored that part and away we went.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #36

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
I didnt need to show the Flare or spare fuses, and she didnt ask me about the pull over procedures. I had to do the air brake leak down test and bring the air pressure down until the triangle popped. She asked "did they issue one license plate or two" I said two. She then went to the front of the coach and stated I had to have the second license plate mounted to the front and technically that was enough to deny giving me the road test. She looked at the front end, saw their was no way in hell to mount a license plate so she ignored that part and away we went.

i had no way to add the front plate on ours, so i used a ford front bracket off a super duty , drilled a few holes and bam she was on.

i have been studying and will do the deed hopefully this week, going use moms bounder so i dont have to break camp at the port.
it doesn't have side cameras so its a bit more challenging to drive.

one more wrinkle or wrench for your hurting head
an exception from the non cdl class a and b license
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/interne...orms/CDL-2.pdf
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
It continually amazes me how many people will deny the need for a special license when they don't READ the manuals and won't believe people who have done so.

Powerboatr - I don't see what "exception" from the NON CDL requirements - that form is an exception from the CDL requirements. You use that to renew by mail, you have to get it notarized, which is why you can't renew the non-cdl Class A or Class B online.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:53 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
It continually amazes me how many people will deny the need for a special license when they don't READ the manuals and won't believe people who have done so.

Powerboatr - I don't see what "exception" from the NON CDL requirements - that form is an exception from the CDL requirements. You use that to renew by mail, you have to get it notarized, which is why you can't renew the non-cdl Class A or Class B online.

Barb

okie dokie
just returned from the dps office
have an appointment on Friday to do the written test and the drive around town test. They were so nice
we are lucky here, as our office knows most everybody in town and its like family with rules.
have to brush up on the flares/triangle placement and lights
air brake part is no brainer,
wish me luck
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides

Old 12-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr

okie dokie
just returned from the dps office
have an appointment on Friday to do the written test and the drive around town test. They were so nice
we are lucky here, as our office knows most everybody in town and its like family with rules.
have to brush up on the flares/triangle placement and lights
air brake part is no brainer,
wish me luck
It would be greatly appreciated if after your test you would come back here and provide a detailed list of what they had you do.

Also which DPS office are you going to?

Thanks
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
It would be greatly appreciated if after your test you would come back here and provide a detailed list of what they had you do.

Also which DPS office are you going to?

Thanks
i am using the quitman office on bermuda street

will post up
sort of curious about the driving part, closest highway is a DRIVE
but we have lots of farm roads with live obstacles I might take my moms bounder instead of my coach, I just cleaned and polished mine.... roads are still a bit muddy here
she was real nice as always and understood exactly why the confusion persists... the rules change aren't exactly being put out there like some other things

Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #41

So now when I travel in Texas in my coach I need a special license ?? Wow !!
Rfw1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #42

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only if you are a resident of Texas. State are required to recognize the requirements of the State License that you possess. It is unlawful to have licenses from more than one State.