Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #43

Whatever your home state of residence requires, is what you need in Texas.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #44
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
Whatever your home state of residence requires, is what you need in Texas.
That's true in any state regarding class of license. It is a reciprocal agreement between states. If you are legally licensed in your home state, you are legal in all other states.

However you are still required to abide by individual state laws on weight, length, height, towing, etc., regulations.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #45

I travel all over and my worst nightmare would be driving it in New York and having a state trooper force me to park it until a legally licensed driver can move it out of state. I know people that happened to. It was in a private medium duty truck and trailer. They didnt have the correct class of license, and had to fly someone in to drive the truck.

Just because you are out of state doesnt get you off the hook if you dont have the correct license. In some cases it can be worse!
Old 12-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
To any Texans that have taken the writen. What is the best study guide? How was the test?
jimyrawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #47

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyrawi View Post
To any Texans that have taken the writen. What is the best study guide? How was the test?
Chapters 14 and 15 of the handbook which you can download online. THere is also a practice test in the back of the handbook and IIRC an online practice test.

I would also suggest taking the written test at some place that has the computers - - that allows you to skip any question you are unsure of to come back to latter because when the computer registers that you have answers the correct number of questions (14/20 I believe) it stops the test. So any questions you were unsure about you will probably not see again. One question that I got that I could remember (and therefore skipped it) was the year that turn signals were required on trucks in Texas. I think is turned out be to 1960, but I do remember the question because it was one of those "WTF does this have to do with safety" thoughts that entered my head. Most of the other questions dealt with real safety issues, length, height, number of clearance lights, color of lights, stopping distance, length at which you needed a permit, etc.

If you are in the eastern part of the state, I can recommend the DMV office in Tyler as a good place to go. Large parking area for your vehicle (easily back up the required length right there), nice staff, good roads that take you through city, country, and highway driving without huge amounts of traffic.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #48

I took the test up to the last question, and it didnt stop. I got every question right.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
Chapters 14 and 15 of the handbook which you can download online. THere is also a practice test in the back of the handbook and IIRC an online practice test.

I would also suggest taking the written test at some place that has the computers - - that allows you to skip any question you are unsure of to come back to latter because when the computer registers that you have answers the correct number of questions (14/20 I believe) it stops the test. So any questions you were unsure about you will probably not see again. One question that I got that I could remember (and therefore skipped it) was the year that turn signals were required on trucks in Texas. I think is turned out be to 1960, but I do remember the question because it was one of those "[moderator edit] does this have to do with safety" thoughts that entered my head. Most of the other questions dealt with real safety issues, length, height, number of clearance lights, color of lights, stopping distance, length at which you needed a permit, etc.

If you are in the eastern part of the state, I can recommend the DMV office in Tyler as a good place to go. Large parking area for your vehicle (easily back up the required length right there), nice staff, good roads that take you through city, country, and highway driving without huge amounts of traffic.

Barb
correct answer is 1959, i missed it to because i read 1960 in the book, which was for ELECTRIC signals

know the lengths 65 feet unless a tractor trailer
it was asked twice????
plus color of lights on rear for clearance
and how far a load my protrude out past the front of the vehicle
passed the written this morning, have a drive test on Monday.
piece of cake so far
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
News flash for Texas owners that think driving a vehicle over 26K pounds doesnt apply to them. Their are two parts of the license.

One you are exempt from one, and that is the CDL portion. Class B and A license are considered commercial, but since you are exempt from a CDL, you are not getting a CDL. On my license it says Class B and has the same DL# as my old one. If I had a Commercial license it would be Class B and CDL# Therfore, I have a non commercial Class B. I am exempt from the regulation that requires me to have a CDL for driving a vehicle over 26K pounds, and thats what my drivers license indicates.

The second part of the license is the "Class" You are NOT exempt from this part of the regulation! Anyone driving an RV with a GVWR over 26K pounds is required to get a NON-commercial Class B license if you are using it for personal use..

The lady at DPS explained this to me in great detail since I was also confused. Bottom line... If its rated over 26K you need a Class B. Pulling a trailer over 10K you need a Class A. For a RV, you arent required to get a CDL. Go to DPS, get the commercial handbook and read it. Better yet, take the test, and get your Class B. Judging from your avatar picture, you need one.
This is absolutely correct. I have confirmed this with the code itself, an email to the licensing people in Austin, and a highway patrolman who stopped my DW for speeding in the toad.

We are only exempt from a CDL. We have to have a Non-Commercial Class B license for over 26K lbs.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #51

As a follow up to how do you handle getting your MH to the licensing location when you are not legally licensed to do so. I asked this of a person at a DPS location in a small town and she said..."well, honey, how else would you get it here if you didn't drive it here, just come on and don't worry about that..."

I will be taking my exams in that town, not the big city.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimyrawi View Post
Go to your local DPS and ask for the CDL study manual. It is free, and it is your best study guide. Study the entire manual. My DPS said to study only Chapters 14 and 15, but my questions came from the entire manual.

I informed my DPS that I was there for the NON-CDL Class B license to drive an RV. The tester said, "Oh, okay. Sit at station 3." There were 5 of us taking the test.

I had questions like:
What is the minimum height of the brake lights on an unloaded flatbed trailer?
What is the MAXIMUM height of the brake lights on a flatbed trailer?
What is the maximum speed of a super heavy tractor trailer on a Texas interstate?
What is the maximum overhang of a trailer over the cab of a tractor-trailer?
What is the maximum number of trailers which can be towed on a Texas interstate? (I said 3 cause there is a picture of a tractor pulling 3 trailers on the front of the DPS study guide- that is wrong.)
What is the maximum allowable length of a tractor-trailer combination on a Texas interstate?

There were questions about which signs to display on the rear/sides of a trailer if you are carrying (fill in the blank). The question read like, "You are carrying 20 tons of liquid methyl hexachloroxylene perchlorate. Which of the following warning signs or combination of signs are required to display on the rear and sides of the trailer?

I thought I had failed the written test, and barely passed, but I was the only one in my group who passed. It was not easy.

The key is, I felt like a safer driver after I had studied the manual.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudtheDiplomat View Post
What is the maximum number of trailers which can be towed on a Texas interstate? (I said 3 cause there is a picture of a tractor pulling 3 trailers on the front of the DPS study guide- that is wrong.)

me to
i selected three.........yep i got it wrong. darn picture screwed me up
then i missed the 1960 taillight question because i over read the question, my fault alone. i should have selected 1959, because the book states BEFORE 1960 ....
and page X clearly shows a triple trailer setup also shows it on page 6-1 in figure 6-1 "influence of combination on rearward amplification"
and section 7 Title " Doubles and Triples"

and page 7-1 section 7.1 title
"pulling double/triple trailers"
one more for fun...page 7-2 * "coupling & uncoupling triple trailers"
i could go on,
ain't government fun
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #54

Answer the following 2 questions to see if you need a Class B license in Texas.

1) I am a resident of Texas. Yes No (circle one)

2) My motorhome weights more than 26,000 lbs. Yes No (circle one)

If you circled "Yes" for both questions, then you need the Class B license.

I believe anyone driving a motorhome should take a test to obtain a license to drive it.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:33 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
I found out an interesting little tidbit on Texas Non-CDL Class B licensing from the FMCA site...

If you are caught without the non-CDL Class B while driving an RV over 26,001 lbs, the fine is $200.

That doesn't sound too bad.

Also, you may forfeit your Class C license if this is a ticket resulting from an accident or moving violation and you will be ineligible for taking the driver's test. EVEN IF SOMEONE HITS YOU!!!

Further, the state turns the information over to your insurance company. Receiving a ticket for improper licensing and a resultant accident (or moving violation) , the insurance company may revoke your RV insurance.

This law has been in effect since 1999.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #56

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
Probably a silly question, but did you drive your MH to the examining station? I'm concerned that the examiner may ask, "If you don't have the proper license yet, who drove the rig here?"
I asked that question before I went to the exam station in Corsicana. The lady said she wasn't going to go looking for anyone other than me. Then proceeded to treat me to a driving test that lasted almost an hour. No problem and can "legally drive" the MH
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote