Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #57

Ok today I called the motor vehicle department in Trenton nj and spoke with a lady and she assured me that in new jersey I do not need a different license other then class D wich is just a regular license, no matter the size of the Rv or heavy it is she said in new jersey for any Rv you can drive with your license! Now I don't know if I need it or not in other states like Texas but I think it goes by the state where you have your license, right?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #58

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
Now I don't know if I need it or not in other states like Texas but I think it goes by the state where you have your license, right?
Yep.

'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heck, in New Jersey we will not need a driver license at all in a couple more years.

They did away with car inspection. Now you can run down the road with no brakes, lights, cracked windshield, bald tires.
Going backwards here.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #60

I am sure I will be corrected by someone here, but just go for the CDL, Jeeze! It is good in all states. Below the CDL, the Gov. allows the states to regulate, CDL is same for all, with exceptions to age and requirements within the licensing state. If you have gone the gammet for the CDL this will show you have done the best you can to any trooper. Same as when they run the check and it shows up you have a CCW...you have passed the test. States want you to stay under their jurisdiction. Just do the CDL, no trailers, no HASMAT (unless you are carring an excessive amount of alcohol). Straight truck, air, etc.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Would you not need a commercial vehicle to take the test with?
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:42 PM   #62

Forest River Owners Club
FYI: on page iv of the Texas Commercial Vehicle Drivers Handbook, it clearly states under the heading "Who is exempt from a commercial drivers license?" - a recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use... (#4) Therefore I'm lead to believe that exempts drivers of MH's regardless of the weight... Granted, under the section that discusses the different types of license (type A, B C) it does discuss that type B is the license for vehicles above 26,001 lbs, BUT on the section BEFORE that it states RV's are exempt... If not, someone explain to me why....
Old 12-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
BUT on the section BEFORE that it states RV's are exempt... If not, someone explain to me why....
Please read the previous 5 pages. It is explained in depth.

Search "driver's license." This is a regularly occurring thread topic, with Texas always in the lead.

There's a difference between CDL (Commercial Driver's License), Section 522 Texas Law, and NON-COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE, Section 521. I think WayneM was the first in this thread to point it out, post #24, page 2. Thanks Wayne.

Good hunting!
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 12-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #64

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
FYI: on page iv of the Texas Commercial Vehicle Drivers Handbook, it clearly states under the heading "Who is exempt from a commercial drivers license?" - a recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use... (#4) Therefore I'm lead to believe that exempts drivers of MH's regardless of the weight... Granted, under the section that discusses the different types of license (type A, B C) it does discuss that type B is the license for vehicles above 26,001 lbs, BUT on the section BEFORE that it states RV's are exempt... If not, someone explain to me why....
you are correct....you are exempt from a Commercial drivers license if your an rv for private use.....

the kicker is the CLASS of license ...you most likely now have a class "C" license regular operator...
now go over 26000k and you need a class "B" endorsement/stamp
its no making your license a CDL, its only bringing it to the correct CLASS for an operators license

believe me as a recent convert and one who lives in the shadows of grey areas in laws to maximize my enjoyment of life and liberty

i have read and read and re-read all the books and state requirements
if you drive a RV that has a gvwr of over 26000lbs you need a class"B" operator license......not a commercial license, even though part of the test is taken from the commerical license test bank...its only 20 questions that deal with lights and lengths and such...stuff you most likely already know and haven't even been self aware of it yet.

and the law changed a while back......but because of grey areas and the DPS not really pushing the facts out there, most of us were WRONG( wow cant beleive i said that)

stop a cop and ask...i bet you get different answers
also i believe what would bite you in the rear is...

A. you have a wreck in the rv, your fault or not and some ambulance chaser gets the other guy as a client because they saw your big pretty rig and know you got millions to hand out. then they dig and find out...hey he didnt have a class b endorsement....so now even if its grey...they just created a shadow of doubt that you even knew how to operate the rv safely........so you just got SCREWED and SKEWERED

then your insurance company gets wind and BAM drop you like a hot tater or raise your rates

me i have great rates and my company told me ....i would most likely get a discount for getting the "B" endorsement....because it tested you on how to be a safer driver so to speak
and not gettign a straight commerical license saves you of keeping logs and rest times of which you could be held accountable for if some leo is not full to speed on the law

as far as the CHL permit making you to be a "good guy" to a LEO.....
maybe maybe not
i have one.....does it make him feel better after he approached me at 2am on a dark road, even when i am not speeding and i dont drink period, ever if i am driving, that's why i have a copilot
probably NOT...until he verifies the subject weapon is in a safe zone for him/her
i can tell you the police in tawokoni stay the same.....UNFRIENDLY
state troopers on the other hand around here.....seem to let the guard down a tiny bit and even smile
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #65

Ernest. Based on the picture next to your user name, get a class B. You need one
Old 12-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #66

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just returned to home base after a grueling 40 minute road test

light check, then she told me the route we would take through town. ( i would have rather gone to the highway vice small city streets

did a left turn at a 4 way, then a right turn then another straight drive about 1/2 mile. turn left at a 3 way, go about 1/2 mile make a left that was around 55 degrees past a 90.

then onto a SMALL city street, narrow with overhanging trees to another right onto a skinnier road to the high school stadium parking lot

there in the middle of the of the lot was a line to simulate a curb.

there she got out and watched me back up???? about 30 feet.
then i proceeded into to the parallel park maneuver........why or why

so as not to run my tires over the "CURB" and to limit the long overhang swinging to far over a sidewalk area. I turned on a signal and rolled back slowly into a 80 or so degree wheel sweep turn, then rolled forward to straighten up and once more a small backing to get over some more then forward once more about 10 feet. I got penalized point for moving forward twice.????
oh well
then back to the dps for a passing grade of 91.
she did hit me for my right turns onto skinny streets for not getting back in my lane fast enough, even though the lane was only 60 feet long. And i pulled my nose over the white line at a stop sign. I had to to see around a tree.
overall it was painless and mundane
but i am pleased
i should have swept the rear over the imaginary sidewalk and only did one forward correction.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #67
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah yes! Those were the days - taking road test.

I believe you can edge out over the stop line, but before you do you have to stop behind the line, then edge forward for a view.

Are you not glad that it is over with now?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM   #68

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Ah yes! Those were the days - taking road test.

I believe you can edge out over the stop line, but before you do you have to stop behind the line, then edge forward for a view.

Are you not glad that it is over with now?
YUP
my mom is going to get hers next. I plan to go over the route with her next week
Old 12-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Congratulations Powerboatr!

I keep the Texas CDL License manual in my motorhome so that I can refer to it every now and again.

I'm getting to a point where I'm having to think about license renewal.

Holy cow! it seems like yesterday that I took the test!

No, it's 2014! I just looked! Whew.

'11 Z-71 4X4 toad