Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #1

I can now legally drive the MH!

I got my class B license (over 26K pounds). For the road test, I didnt have to do any of the parking maneuvers like parellel parking etc.... All I had to do was drive around without hitting anything and deal with the lady examiner that wouldnt shut up while on the road test. I felt like I was getting an interrigation on where I plan to go, what I plan to do with it etc...

To be honest, driving it across town in afternoon traffic to take the test was more of a challenge than the road test itself. The examiner said they only do one or two a month, and most of those are after the driver got ticketed. The written test was easy as well.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good for you! I got mine last year in Livingston. One of the easiest things I've ever done. My test drive had all right hand turns, no parallel parking ( although it would not have been a problem ), just had to back it straight up for about 20'.

Kerry B
BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
I got my class B license (over 26K pounds).
Probably a silly question, but did you drive your MH to the examining station? I'm concerned that the examiner may ask, "If you don't have the proper license yet, who drove the rig here?"
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee950 View Post
I got my class B license (over 26K pounds). For the road test, I didnt have to do any of the parking maneuvers like parellel parking etc.... All I had to do was drive around without hitting anything and deal with the lady examiner that wouldnt shut up while on the road test. I felt like I was getting an interrigation on where I plan to go, what I plan to do with it etc...

To be honest, driving it across town in afternoon traffic to take the test was more of a challenge than the road test itself. The examiner said they only do one or two a month, and most of those are after the driver got ticketed. The written test was easy as well.....
I had a somewhat similar experience -- though my examiner was an ex-trucker, he was very taken with my rig, and had many questions not related to the test. I think they do so few RV driver tests, it's a treat for them. Probably more pleasant for him than the dump truck that came after me in line.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

"a friend drove me over and left"....should work but I doubt they would even ask.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #6

I had a friend drive over with me that has a Class A CDL Even though they said they "wouldn't ask how it got here" I did the right thing.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two things I like about my motor home

1: 26000 pounds is MCGVW so I don't need an "over 26K" license

2: Michigan does not require special license for a Motor home less you are a porter. (One who drives them for pay)
Old 12-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Texas doesn't either.... Yea!!!!!!
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
Texas doesn't either.... Yea!!!!!!

and he is in austin tx???

no reason to get a different class license...RV's privately owned are exempt,

i know the argument, but the code is what the code is
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here in Illinois was told to drive it to the test site. Then took the test and drove around town a little.

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #11

News flash for Texas owners that think driving a vehicle over 26K pounds doesnt apply to them. Their are two parts of the license.

One you are exempt from one, and that is the CDL portion. Class B and A license are considered commercial, but since you are exempt from a CDL, you are not getting a CDL. On my license it says Class B and has the same DL# as my old one. If I had a Commercial license it would be Class B and CDL# Therfore, I have a non commercial Class B. I am exempt from the regulation that requires me to have a CDL for driving a vehicle over 26K pounds, and thats what my drivers license indicates.

The second part of the license is the "Class" You are NOT exempt from this part of the regulation! Anyone driving an RV with a GVWR over 26K pounds is required to get a NON-commercial Class B license if you are using it for personal use..

The lady at DPS explained this to me in great detail since I was also confused. Bottom line... If its rated over 26K you need a Class B. Pulling a trailer over 10K you need a Class A. For a RV, you arent required to get a CDL. Go to DPS, get the commercial handbook and read it. Better yet, take the test, and get your Class B. Judging from your avatar picture, you need one.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Weird, Oregon states any vehicle over 26k needs a CDL except a Personal RV. I guess I won't get one then
Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #13

I never even thought about this. I wonder what FL. does in this situation? Definitely need to find out.
time2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
lady at the DPS scares me
but I just re-read the booklet and.......

a Class "B" non cdl makes sense now......I see your argument.

must see if my gal will change it or argue with me like last time

wonder if my license will still be free?
tks
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote