Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #1

I did not know that.....

While researching tire issues, I ran across this video: https://youtu.be/lkwOE1yKY5c

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would think the biggest issue at 60 plus MPH's would be to actually do what is recommended versus hitting the brakes. Pretty sure that would be my first instinct.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
That video is his opinion and is based on a scripted scenario. I doubt our host has ever had a blow out. My RF blew out last May on an interstate.
We were doing 60 with the cruise on. The last thing I wanted was more power or more speed...I tapped the cruise off and coasted to the side of the road. Wheel pull to the right was not strong, but did vibrate quite a bit. The Michelin video sounds good and looks good. However, it is like a lot of "school solutions," every aspect of the demonstration is planned. However, when doing it for real, I doubt it's merit.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:36 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I think the main point is to never jam on the brakes! Whether you accelerate or let it coast is secondary and not nearly as important!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #5

To be fair; The video does state the acceleration is not significant, it's just to counteract the forces pulling you off course. I do agree that the big take-away is do not hit the brakes.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #6

Just for fun, get your MH up to 60 MPH cruising speed.

While rolling along, yell out " BOOM " and floor it. Let me know how much acceleration you actually feel.

These things are 30,000 to 40,000 pounds. They weren't built for quick acceration.

With a blowout most people aren't going to have the presence of mind to do that, with all that is going on.

The first action, probably will be to let up on the throttle. Then you remember, oh I should floor it.

By now you have slowed down and your momentum is gone. If it's not under control now, flooring it is probably too late.

Try to, at least, keep your foot on the throttle until under control, then let off and gently use the brakes to slow to a stop.

You shouldn't slam on the brakes after a blowout, unless you lost control and are heading into a collision, then all bets are off.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #7
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
This issue is very significant to me too.
If you've ever studied the video of the poor folks in Louisiana last May, (the video is on Tyron's home page below), you can see they never hit the brakes. But it also looked as if they did really nothing except drive directly into the median, then all hell broke loose.

They had a beautiful Tuscany with a new Ram truck in tow.

Of course you can't see the left front wheel to tell whether they were attempting to steer right or not. They blew the right front after passing a semi, all caught on the semi dash cam. To pass the semi you might guess their speed was at least 70, maybe not, don't know that either. It's puzzling and disturbing to watch. As if they were just along for the ride till it stopped.

Luckily it was reported the occupants walked away with minor injuries. But since I've seen that video, I can't get those people out of my head. I'm glad they made it, and hope their ok now, and back on the road in a new rig. I just feel so bad for them.

Be safe,
W.D.

See Tyron and video here http://www.tyron-usa.com/

Discuss again: the Tyron product, any more thoughts on this product relayed to this issue?
Old 03-08-2016, 09:44 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
This has been discussed and rehashed a thousand times on here....
Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 PM   #9
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
This has been discussed and rehashed a thousand times on here....

Alpha I get the picture

I figured as in the other threads, it's just six of this and.....well you know. No for sure answer as some say they wouldn't be without it, others say big pain in the hind end.

Haven't made up my own mind yet. Just want to have every chance I can get I guess, peace of mind if it works.

Take care,
W.D.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:27 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I never noticed there was naysayers about this topic, so if I may share:

According to the National Safety Council training like:
http://www.ntb.com/tires/Tire-Blowout-Education.j

Quote:
To get safely to the shoulder during a blowout, you first need to avoid swerving into another lane or grinding to a dangerously slow speed. To do this, you need the following one-two punch of speed and steering:
-Keep pressure on the accelerator -- or maybe even step on it a bit -- so your vehicle maintains its forward momentum.
-Steer in the*opposite*direction of where the vehicle is pulling. For example, if the vehicle is pulling left, steer right.
I personally do not know if I will be able to do the right procedure if that emergency occurs, BUT at least I know what I should do.

Safe travels

P.S. Makers of devices like Safe-T-Plus (and similar) tout that their devices greatly help with this risk, so I highly recommend getting one, like I did.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:13 AM   #11

It will be really hard to overcome instinct if it happens to you. I have watched a couple nasty wrecks that occured when a tire blew and i saw brake lights. The worse was a truck with a camper pulling a trailer with atv's and a rear tire blew. The truck swerved off the hwy and rolled. I have had a couple blowouts and one was well above the speed limit. Training yourself to not follow instinct is in your best interest. Its like driving on ice and training yourself to do everything in slow motion. Be safe in your travels.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Back to my blow out. To me it was an emergency, the absolutely last thing to enter my mind ('cause it did not enter my mind) would have been to accelerate. It makes no sense to accelerate, my steering was fine, what I wanted was to REDUCE speed and get off the road. You have no idea what that MH's going to do...thus you don't want more speed than you already have in case something worse happens...like in the video above. If I have another tire blow out...I'll do the exact same thing.

BTW, the blow out was not in this coach, but an '09 AC Allegiance 40X.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:49 PM   #13
RV Enthusiast

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Cat320,

Did you determine what caused your blowout?
Old 03-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
I had 2 of them in Ī 2004-2005 on Interstates with my old 1993 DP and never did I ever accelerate, the opposite, I manually downshifted the Allison 3060 and directly went to the shoulder.