Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
mr300ce: i have been in your shop! i got a personal tour of the b1b assembly facility in palmdale. got to check out all the different stages of build-up. very cool!

btw, a&p, IA here. for 16 years. snap-on for stuff that needed to fit perfectly, craftsman for hammers and such. now, just about anything that gets the home jobs done.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #16

Keep in mind a tool is nothing more that something you use to get the job done. I shoot competition so guns to me are tools of the trade. With that said, I have $3000 hand guns that I use in competition, as well as $500 ones. I use the Motorhome for business, so its a tool as well since I use it to haul my shop from place to place and hold inventory. No way in hell I would have bought the thing to live in an RV park.

I used work as an A$P IA, and have more HAND tools than I can use....

Old 12-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #17

I have a box full of good tools from many years ago when I used them frequently. Now I don't use tools much, so for the the "lighter tools" I go for the cheaper ones. The only thing I will not go cheap on is cordless power tools. In the cordless catergory the cheap ones don't make it through a couple of uses. IMO!
Joyce-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I try to maintain everything I can handle but that does not mean that I buy the best tools on the market to do the job. For the amount that you may use them I just don't see the sense in that.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
My mentality on tools has always been to stick with the upper grade tools, the metalurgy is consistent and you usually get what you pay. I have a few cheaper tools that I will use on fasteners that are easy to get to and don't require a lot of pull. The last thing I want to do is use a cheap piece to remove something in an area that would be difficult to extract a broken or rounded off fastener. I also pay a lot of attention to what is around should the tool break, my hands are pretty valuable to me. I've spent a lot of hours in operating rooms repairing injuries due to tool malfunctions and poor technique, I always ask them how it happened, usually a cheater or something rigged up is involved. I honestly don't remember the last time I broke a Snap-on or Mac tool or had a wrench spread when I was pulling on it. I broke plenty of the china stuff when I was younger. What I will say, is the chinese stuff has gotten quite a bit better, but the price has went up as well. If I do use the chinese stuff I stick with 6 point sockets and avoid 12 points like the plague. I've had some pretty good luck buying used Snap-On and Mac tools on ebay for near chinese prices, but when you need a wrench, sometimes all you can get is the cheap stuff. Most of the time, if you are familiar with the common sizes on your rig, you can buy used high end stuff for half the price if you take some time to plan and collect it. If you get something used that is worn out, all the major brands will replace them. Most of us have the money to buy the high end stuff new if we wanted, but why? The used stuff works fine and its usually just cosmetics. Every time I've rounded something off using a friends off brand tool, I say to myself I knew better. Just my .02!
Old 12-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #20

Guys, I did not mean manufacturing facilities...I meant retail repair facilities with my comments about tool allowances and right offs.

I was seeking some sort of logic as to all the extra care given to an extreme high dollar toy, 2nd home or 1st home(for those who fulltime). Everyone requests great service and great care of their RV. All the add ons for the RVs and toys that are added to most RVs are usually high end items as well. Many posts have been made about imports and avoiding them. I was just curious as to why most all beliefs and buying actions tended to change when it came to buying a tool. No harm, no foul meant and I surely didn't mean to make the blood pressure pills come out.

For the record..I do not sell or manufacture any tools nor know of any tool salesmen/women
Old 12-08-2011, 01:22 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sc3283 said:
==============================================
when it comes to DIY repairs....is everyone so hellbent to buy the cheapest darn tools they can to perform the repairs?
==================================================

I disagree that "everyone buys the cheapest tools".

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. All the guys I know that do their own repair buy good tools.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
No need to buy first quality tools for everything.

The tools that I own which get used the most and often are generally of excellent quality with usually lifetime warranties. If they break, they get replaced free. The ones that are for some specific purpose that don't get used very often may come from Harbor Freight, a flea market or somewhere cheap since it will most likely sit for a long time before getting used again.

Only my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #23

Awhile back I did a one time home improvement project which required a compound trim saw, for that job I purchased a less expensive model. Now as a mechanic (35) years on every thing from small engines to heavy equipment those tools are a another story, the less expensive tools will not stand up to the every day use. Makes no sense to spend big $$ on something you will only use once or twice a year. Example the air compressors at the shop are 5K ea and run 10 hours a day, the one at home is 200.00 and runs every now and then.

As to the motorhome and every thing that goes with it, it has been said on this Forum and others, there is a lot of feel good work, and over-maintaining going on that is just not necessary, the same applies to items purchased for it. If an RV is a hobby great, I for one enjoy mine most when its parked in a shady camp site, and I'm sipping on a cold bev, not so much when I washing it or under it working on it.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
What I spend on a tool depends on a lot of things. I only keep cheap hand tools in my vehicle because they will rarely get used so I'm not likely to break them. If they get stolen, I don't have to worry about getting ripped off by the insurance company for depreciation (been there, done that). I've yet to have one fail on me.

The tools I have at home are better quality but the quality depends on the use they will get. I will spend less on a tool that will rarely get used or is for a one off job than for one that will get frequent usage. I have several Ryobi 18v tools. Some are almost ten years old. They are all still going strong for me. Of the three batteries I had, only one has failed in the almost ten years I've had them. If I used them daily on a job, they probably wouldn't last a year. I would be better off getting better quality tools.

I have a Ryobi band saw I bought for a specific project several years ago. The polite term for it would be a cheap POS. Yet, if I didn't push it too much, it was able to do the job for me. I still use it occasionally and it still does the job as long as I don't push it. In this case, a better bandsaw with roller bearing blade guides instead of blocks, sturdier construction, a deeper throat, more depth, and a larger table would have been nice but overkill for the job. Not too mention the better bandsaw would have been a heavy thing to wrestle with and bulky to store.

I have a few hole saws (I buy them as I need them). I shelled out for the good ones because a cheap one wasn't likely to last long enough to finish one hole in metal. The same goes for saw blades and drill bits. Cheap ones won't hold up and may make a mess of the job or even damage the tool using them.

Same goes for screw drivers. I keep cheap ones in my truck but at home, I have good ones. A good screwdriver will not wear out or break if properly used (you would not believe how many people use too small of a Phillips head screwdriver or try to use one on a Reed and Prince) and is far less like to strip a screwhead.

Hammers are tools not worth scrimping on. I have a four pound double jack and a 2 pound mashie that are older than I am. A good hammer will not wear out and bend nails.

I have an old Radio Shack Micronta digital multimeter that is at least 25 years old. It was the first digital multimeter available to general consumers. It's a big, ugly looking thing but it still works well. I've checked it from time to time and the calibration is still holding. It gets used enough to have been worth what it cost me back then. If I were a pro, though, I would get a newer one because they are more rugged and one heck of a lot smaller (many also do more).

My air compressor is a seventy dollar 2 CFM job with a 1 gallon tank. I've had it almost ten years now. It still does the job for me. I use it once a month to clean my airconditioning filter. the only other thing I use it for is to occasionally run a brad nailer (I did spring for a nice Senco; cheap nailers are dangerous and just don't do the job) and occasionally dusting something off. I bought it for a one time project that I needed the nailer for. It did the job without breaking sweat (or down) and has served me ever since. It is capable of airing up a tire on my truck if I ever need it for that.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #25

I agree with ladyfitz with most and basically parallel it. One side note from me is that for a new tool I basically wait until the third time I need it before buying. And then purchase the quality in direct relation to the usage. A tool that I will use once per year is not going to be the same as one that I use monthly, DW limits the tool expenditures.
I do take cheaper tools in the RV as not having the multiple boxes and cases I do at the house I am more likely to Make a tool work , increasing the chance of breaking or losing it. Of course if you misuse a tool with a warranty on it it voids the warranty.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
It's all in how you use your tools. If I made my living turning wrenches every day, I'd want wrenches that would put up with that use.

Say I buy a cheap hand tool that costs $10, instead of the $50 pro version. The cheap one will break after 20 uses, whereas the $50 one will not break, or is guaranteed for life. I need to use this tool twice per year. The $10 tool will last me 10 years. If I still need that tool after 10 years, I buy another one. In this example, it would have to go on for 50 years before the economics of buying the expensive tool make sense.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #27

I would pay more for home tools if they came with a built in GPS so they can be found when I need them.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #28

as a retired telephone repairman, its my belief, based on experience, that the best tools contribute to the best job performance. A good repairman can get by with just about anything, but he cant do his best work without the best tools. YMMV