Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #1

I don't get it!! Can someone explain????

I need help with some RV logic.
We all know we paid a ton for our RVs
We all know most of us are anal about them( repairs, maint, cleanliness etc)
We all know most of us worry too much about them
BUT WHY..........
when it comes to DIY repairs....is everyone so hellbent to buy the cheapest darn tools they can to perform the repairs?

Don't mean to flame anyone's beliefs....this comes from a life long mechanic who has had to have quality tools to make a living. (not meant as an import bash either)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2011, 11:46 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
$10,000 worth of tool doesnt make someone a good mechanic nor does someone with cheap tools make them bad mechanics. Why spend $20 on a socket to change a sparkplug when a $3 one will do the job just as well.

Its not the cost of the tool but how you use it.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi ,
I have had to many cheap tools brake and had to go out and get a new one.
I to have had to make living with my hands and tools.
Bob
Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you wrench for a living you get to deduct tool expenses on your tax return, or your boss pays for them (if you're lucky) - when you're changing your own oil you don't have those options available. I'd rather pay $5 for a cheap wrench that gets used maybe once a year than throw away $45 for the same wrench to sit in a dark cubbyhole and get used once a year...
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
This topic has been beat to death in another recent thread on the harbor freight tool issue. To each his own.

I, having been an ASE Master Tech for 27 yrs, and an airplane mechanic, and a space shuttle technician for 11yrs, have ALL kinds of tools.

ALL kinds of brands, from Snap-On to cheap China crap. Like the prior poster said....if it only gets used once in a blue moon, and it does the job, why pay 5-10x too much. But...my everyday tools were the top brands.

Did I mention that I had a MATCO tool business at one time. I could have gotten one of their $5-10,000 giant toolboxes for cost. But why spend the $ when my 3 old big red Craftsman tool boxes are still sitting there, full of tools, doing their job.

I have to admit, tools for me (and others, I'm sure) are like jewelry to a woman. I will always go to the tool section in a store and look.

Oh !!!! pretty shiney tools !!!! Hot damn, look at that new power tool !!!

But...I already have ALL the tools I need. "Just looking, sir, thanks."
Old 12-07-2011, 12:45 AM   #6

Alan, better check again.....if your a newbie tech, that's about the only way a tax deduction is going to happen. Also tool allowance from boss/employers is a thing of the past...just like insurance, 401k, retirements etc.

Greg, Did anyone state good tools made a good mechanic or visa versa?? NO
Old 12-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #7

Many of us do not use tools to make a living, or even use them frequently,so why would we pay extra money for good tools? I don't need good tools. All I need is a tool that will work right the one time in a year or two years when I need it. I once paid $200 for a super duper racquetball racket. It did not make me play any better. I just played poorer.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

I buy the tool I need to do the job as efficiently and economically as possible. Sometimes I need the high strength, high quality, thin wall socket that Snap-On sells to get into a particular bolt or sender unit.

Sometimes the guaranteed forever club that Sears sells will work just fine. For example when I turn the 9/16" combination wrench sideways and smack it with a hammer to bend down the locking tabs on a driveshaft U-joint.

Some brands just fit my hand better. For tools like ratchets, that might get used a lot I use the one that feels best, regardless of cost. For some jobs, you need to modify a tool. I have a cheap 9/16" wrench cut in half, with a retrieval string tied on it for the bottom bolt on the starters in small block chevys mounted in boats. There's just no room to swing anything else without lifting the engine.

Some tools I have are still in great shape after 35 years in my tool box. Some get replaced every 5 years. You do pay more attention to getting all your tools back in the box if you paid $35 for a wrench compared to $3.

But the thing that really gripes me is if I'm paying someone to do some work and they use cheap tools and scar up my stuff. Worn out driver bits that half spin out of the fastener. Narrow blade screwdrivers opening the refer covers, you know those painted plastic quarter turn fasteners that look like crap when the paint is chipped off. Rounded drain plug because the "technician" uses a crescent wrench so one wrench fits everything. Rounded hydraulic hose fittings because some other technician never heard of tubing wrenches.

Ken
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I worked for Delta Air Lines building jet engines. I would turn wrenches all day. Craftsman wrenches had a narrow back and would leave your hands sore at the end of the day. Snap On made jet wrenches which were tube shaped and could be used all day with no discomfort. Sometimes extra cost is worth it.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I go for the "Break one, get a replacement free," brand.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
Alan, better check again.....if your a newbie tech, that's about the only way a tax deduction is going to happen. Also tool allowance from boss/employers is a thing of the past...just like insurance, 401k, retirements etc.

Greg, Did anyone state good tools made a good mechanic or visa versa?? NO
Thats a rather mis-informed statement. We have 2,000 fill time employes, all of which have full bennifits. Our 150 mechanics are given a $250. cash allowance for tools each year and any specialty tools are available in the tool crib. Guess maybe you worked for a company that had very poor employee relations.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Thats a rather mis-informed statement. We have 2,000 fill time employes, all of which have full bennifits. Our 150 mechanics are given a $250. cash allowance for tools each year and any specialty tools are available in the tool crib. Guess maybe you worked for a company that had very poor employee relations.
I KNOW that sc3283 meant auto & RV repair techs, not a "manufacturing" company. I helped build every B1_B bomber for Rockwell. We had to supply our own hand tools (that way we might take better care of them). Rockwell supplied some specialty tools, and air powered tools.

I have worked auto repair for a total of 18yrs, in dealerships & independents. WE had to supply our own tools. We 'borrowed' from another tech if we needed to, but even he would tell you to buy it if you needed it again. NONE of those employers provided $$$ to get tools, or savings plans.

AND...the local dealerships charge $95-$110 per hr labor rate. The top tech gets $18-$25 per hr.

I have managed a very busy auto repair shop for the last 7yrs. I pay our guys 40% of the flat rate (at $75 hr rate, that's $30 hr.) No medical, no vacation pay, no retirement, no holiday pay. The cost of doing business does not leave enough for these things. The dealerships do provide medical, at a cost, and vacation pay.

The tax write off is a joke, because you don't buy them all in 1 yr. The only time I did NOT use the standard deduction was whenever I owned a house that I was still making payments on. Otherwise the $$$ didn't ad up enough to use write-offs.

You buy them from wherever, but the tool trucks came by once a week and you could have a $200 credit line, payed at $20 a week. Mis a payment and catch up the next week ($40). Did I mention I was a MATCO tool distributor.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #13

I think it's all relative.

A computer tech will have the best computer money can buy and the best software to keep it running. Do you?

A pro musician will have many high end guitars and amps and practice for hours everyday. Do you?

A carpenter will have thousands of dollars worth of high end tools. Do you?

When the job isn't our main job the tools aren't really that important to us and we try to get by on the least expensive way because it doesn't affect our livelihood.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe Rockwell is a "manufacturing" company are they not? I mearly stated that not all companies operate the same and should not be lumped into one basket.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote