Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
vod

#1. Minor issues only.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #16

While not a Class A, our Class C Lazy Daze 27. Replaced the BR door latch and a valve on the toilet ... may $35 in a year. Of course we spent a bit more on upgrades and routine maintenance to include new tires.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm 2nd owner but have all the records back to day 1. 20 yrs of minor and 1 year of major (was taken to spartan about 4 yrs ago and told to go over it front/back - replaced hydraulic fan motor, radiator)...PO replaced air compressor and dryer (updated design).

I still spend a lot but it's because I can't stop tinkering / upgrading...

If upgrades were included there would be a lot of majors...
dmurdock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:48 PM   #18

Minor
Replaced Norcold refrigerator ~$900
Hydraulic Pump ~$1000

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 07-30-2016, 10:13 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Full time since 2012 and nor much I couldn't fix myself. $900 last year on aqua hot for fuel pump and service. New air conditioner this year, installed myself.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Major, but the issues were anticipated and negotiated out of the price so we're pretty close to even.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:35 PM   #21

This is our forth RV, three differant manufactures. Only minor repair cost. The current MH has a total of $634.00 in parts and outside labor. Warranty paid all but $189.00. November will be two years on this unit.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:02 PM   #22

None. Zip. Zilch. No repairs to anything. Bought new ordered sight unseen, spring 2005. Shakedown trip in 2005 they had a front wheel rebalanced because it threw a weight, and they had to snug down the gen exhaust pipe cause it was a bit loose or whatever. Never been back since.

Now have 45K on it. Wait - I replaced the porch light bulb sometime once, and maybe $2 vent caps....... Did some preventive stuff - plugs and wires, but there wasn't anything wrong and after changing wondered if I should have bothered........

I don't count tires. I don't count "elective items" such as choosing to replace TVs, or go to digital Seevue system for tanks or better fans, or other elective tinkerings, like experimenting with different shocks and stuff. etc.

I keep checking for hidden indications it was all built by Honda or something.

Dunno who suggested 10 year life. It still looks and functions like new over 11 years old. I'm counting on it for another 20.......

This pic taken 10 days ago at the coach's "2nd home" coming back from a 3,000mi driveabout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	134566  
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:14 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The '02 Dutch Star, minor even after 13 years of ownership.
The '09 Magna, MAJOR (over $25,000) in just the first year. Still need tires too.
MR. D
I know following your post! Hard to beat those Dutch stars, That was on my list but never found a clean one, didn't seem to be a lot of those around Northern Calif. It's a shame that that make of engine had issues, since that coach is truly outstanding! It is just a small issue compared to what your wife has gone through, hope she is well on her way to recovery. Regards
Old 07-30-2016, 11:18 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
Minor. I have a 30 year old RV and spent only $60 the past year on repairs.
WOW you have to love that! That is outstanding! Regards
Old 07-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civdiv99 View Post
None. Zip. Zilch. No repairs to anything. Bought new ordered sight unseen, spring 2005. Shakedown trip in 2005 they had a front wheel rebalanced because it threw a weight, and they had to snug down the gen exhaust pipe cause it was a bit loose or whatever. Never been back since.

Now have 45K on it. Wait - I replaced the porch light bulb sometime once, and maybe $2 vent caps....... Did some preventive stuff - plugs and wires, but there wasn't anything wrong and after changing wondered if I should have bothered........

I don't count tires. I don't count "elective items" such as choosing to replace TVs, or go to digital Seevue system for tanks or better fans, or other elective tinkerings, like experimenting with different shocks and stuff. etc.

I keep checking for hidden indications it was all built by Honda or something.

Dunno who suggested 10 year life. It still looks and functions like new over 11 years old. I'm counting on it for another 20.......

This pic taken 10 days ago at the coach's "2nd home" coming back from a 3,000mi driveabout

That is amazing, that coach still looks Awesome, there is a lot to be said about regular maintainance and loving care! You got a winner I would keep it. Regards
Old 07-31-2016, 12:25 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Major last year. Nearly $3000. Ran into the worst weather I've seen in Texas ever. The entire trip was one big storm after another from New Mexico all the way to Georgia and back. Washington State to NM not so bad. About 5000 miles of a pounding during an 8200 mile trip. Replaced both windshields, the wind literally tore the awning off the MH on the highway, major rains and localized flooding damaged the generator and a plethora of other issues large and small made the trip rather expensive. Otherwise minor. $500 this year on routine maintenance. Replaced all shocks brakes and rubber two years ago. Icon and Bilstein shocks (tag axel wouldn't accept Icons) and Toyo rubber all the way around along with brakes. That was major, but hadn't been done in a while. Huge difference in the ride. Still enjoying the ride hauling my Toad and all. My '97 Fleetwood has been a pleasure to own. The Ford 460 is perhaps the best gasser out there at least in my humble opinion and having a tag axel on a 36' motorhome makes for a comfortable ride especially when pulling my 2000 Jeep Wrangler. Our layout was ideal for us to begin with so the mechanical end of the ride is important. Owning a motorhome is second only to owning a boat when it comes to being a money pit at times. We have been fortunate, other folks... not so much.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:26 AM   #27
epj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
I am guessing 10 years is about the life span of a motor home, or?
I certainly hope this isn't the case. Ours is 11 years old, and we just bought it. Looks just about new, inside and out. I've had a couple of minor issues so far. We are going to make a medium size investment in changing out the TVs to digital. I need to replace a valve going to the ice maker. If that doesn't make ice, then a new ice maker. Still pretty minor.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:57 AM   #28

After owning 3 DP'ers over a period of 20 years, I have had them all. In fact, all the way from a complete engine rebuild to broken windshields and everything in between.
I always tell my RV'ing friends that are considering "moving up" to a Class A pusher to tuck a $1,000 bill in their billfold for repairs at the beginning of their Winter trip and when they return (after all broken items are repaired) if they have any of the $1,000 left, consider themselves lucky. IMHO, owning a 40' DP'er is not for the faint of heart!
Just for information, my Dp'ers were a Gulfstream, a Monaco, and a Tiffin.