Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I believe they are called Gators, a cap that is a valve. Wipe the Gator with a towel and check pressure. Is a second valve on that end so can help if stem leaks, plus not needing to take off a cap. Just a buck or two at truck stops or try k tire shops.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:53 AM   #16

Agree with the need for good valve caps. Long ago, I removed a tire that I thought had a slow leak and had it checked at a tire store. They submerged it in a tank of water and pronounced no leak, but said it earlier probably had a partially stuck valve stem and a plastic valve cap. The guy said the plastic valve caps are no good, and to use metal versions with a gasket inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
What do you have for caps? Mine has caps that don't require removal to add air and I find that one in particular will stick and slowly leak. I use leak detection liquid after checking each tire but my plan this summer is to add a TPMS to reduce how many times I need to depress the valve stem core.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
I believe they are called Gators, a cap that is a valve. Wipe the Gator with a towel and check pressure. Is a second valve on that end so can help if stem leaks, plus not needing to take off a cap. Just a buck or two at truck stops or try k tire shops.

Found them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1421337622.663224.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	83333
Old 01-15-2015, 10:07 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies.

I do have a TPMS for my toad that I ordered with my RVi2 Brake and it works pretty well. (Left rear is a little stubborn in getting with the program sometimes)

I will get a TPMS for MH to help with monitoring pressure and that will keep me from actually putting a gauge on the stem.

I had the bright idea to put caps on the stems.... I thought that might stop the leakage, but the caps do not fit the stems on the front... now I realize that my caps must be the kind vettenuts has.

My tires do not leak much, and the front (with the capless caps) are more prone to leak. Usually not more than 3 to 8 lbs.

My front tires are new (installed by CW as part of the deal when we bought the MH) so I'm sure they do not have beads in them.

I wonder if DW would like a TPMS by TST for Valentine's day?
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #19

If they were put on at camping word they most likely have beads. The easiest cheapest and quickest way to balance . Also works well but needs the right lave cores.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I check my tire pressures from my easy chair. TPMS from TST. Bought it for the safety, then found the convenience to be a biggie as well.

I seldom have to add air to any of my tires. Something is wrong if you have to do so. IMHO
X2
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPro View Post
If they were put on at camping word they most likely have beads. The easiest cheapest and quickest way to balance . Also works well but needs the right lave cores.

I agree. Our first steer tires were installed at Camping World. They didn't have the capacity to spin balance them. They used Equal balancing powder. They did however install the correct valve cores and add the red bands to the stems to identify that the powder was installed.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:08 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Equal Balancing Powder will cake-up with any little moisture that is introduced to the tire while adding unfiltered air.

Dyna Beads will collect together IF the tires were mounted with LOTS of soap or lubricant to get the tire onto the rims. You have to be careful in keeping ALL moisture from getting to the inside. More so with Equal Balancing Powder. Once the Dyna Beads are installed correctly when dry, chances are they will not cake up like the powder does. Plus if you purchase the RV Dyna Beads which are larger than the normal beads used in smaller tires and motorcycle tires, you do not need any special valve core filters like you do with Equal Balancing Powder.

Bottom-line I prefer and highly recommend the Beads over the Powder.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Do you have beads in the tires?
What does that have to do with it?

Dually Valves (Google them) need to be installed.

Pressure Pro, TST and other Tire Pressure Monitor Systems that repalce the valve stem cap are one way to make it easy, SOME of these systems measure the pressure and transmit it via wireless to a receiver in the cockpit,, Indepencent tests have been very complementary on the Pressure Pro system (+/- 1 PSI from lab calibrated meter) I can not speak about others PERSONALLY but hear good thigns about most of them.

And for me,, it is not that hard to test measure them,, I figured out how

I use a dual head angled gauge (or inflater) and a short piece of pipe (A jack handle)

The gauge goes in and on the stem, then the jack handle (Bottle jack) is used to push it down on to the stem to take the reading. (Or to inflate) works well for me,, may or may not for you.

Final choice,, Crossfire tire pressure monitor.. IF, and I stress IF (can not be installed by me on mine) you can install it.. This system brings the inflation/test point out to where you can easily see it, What's more you need only look at it to see if it is "In the green" or not. So you can check the pressure.... Standing up.

For more on these inflation monitors/systems, visit the proper display at an FMCA rally.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
I do have the Gator style caps on the front tires. I know they are supposed to be a good thing, but in this case I think they are the problem.
I realize now that the back tires are not what gives me the problem. I have easy access to them and the stems do not leak. I can check them and they are usually good or only off a pound or two.

The front tires with the Gator caps almost always leak. I am going to take them off and check the stems and try reinstalling the Gators because they do add a little length that makes the pressure gauge fit more easily.

I have not seen any red strip on the valve stem to indicate beads, but I wouldn't be surprised if CW put the beads in and did not install the correct stems. I will call them and see what they say.

A TPMS for the MH is in my future and that should take some of the pressure off of having the correct air pressure in my tires.

Thanks for all the replies.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzuki View Post
I as well have a tire pressure monitoring system on my coach. When I installed it I was curious about the accuracy of the system. I checked each tire and then installed TPMS. Readings were all with 2 PSI of my digital gauge. I as well can check pressure from my driver seat now. After a year, I rotated tires, and rechecked accuracy. Still within 2-3 PSI. Close enough for me, and a lot less trouble. Without TPMS, most people don't check tires at all, with TPMS I check every day before we leave. One of the better deals for the money you can add to a coach.
My TST 507 is within 2-3 psi of my digital gauge and my expensive dial gauge too. I usually need to add a bit 2X a year.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:38 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
TST will be at the Tampa Super Show in the General RV Area. Come say Hello!!
Old 01-16-2015, 01:44 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Always before I leave on a trip or when I move from one place to another I check the air pressure in all my tires. The back 4 are usually not a problem, but the front tires with the extensions almost always stick and leak. If Iím down 5lbs and the stem sticks I end up having to add 20lbs to get back to where I should be. I've even tried a squirt of WD40 and it didn't seem to make much difference.

Is there an inexpensive solution to this problem?
Try TST TPMS with Flow Through Sensors. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at any time @ 770-889-9102 Thanks Mike TST
Old 01-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #28
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Always before I leave on a trip or when I move from one place to another I check the air pressure in all my tires. The back 4 are usually not a problem, but the front tires with the extensions almost always stick and leak. If Iím down 5lbs and the stem sticks I end up having to add 20lbs to get back to where I should be. I've even tried a squirt of WD40 and it didn't seem to make much difference.

Is there an inexpensive solution to this problem?
Not sure what "extensions" you are running on fronts. There are 2 types. One has internal plunger that actuates the standard valve core. It is possible that is the cause of the sticking.
A single standard metal valve with new core should have no problems with the core sticking. You might want to learn more about valves and valve cores by reading my blog post on valves.

RE TPMS. If you have a good digital pressure gauge (less than $15 on amazon) as your "Master gauge" you can always know that your other day to day gauge is accurate enough to set your inflation. If you set your inflation on your motorhome at the minimum needed to carry the load plus 10% and then use a TPMS you will see small day to day variations in the "cold" set pressure but you should only need to add air maybe once a season. See my blog for more details.

Tags
tires