Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2015, 10:42 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Equal Balancing Powder will cake-up with any little moisture that is introduced to the tire while adding unfiltered air.
Completely NOT true.

Equal does not absorb moisture in any manner. Equal is a plastic polymer granule, and thus water or moisture will not change its composition.

Moisture that accumulates inside the tire will evaporate due to normal driving conditions and therefore is in contact with Equal for a very short time. Equal, when in contact with large amounts of water--to the point where it is actually floating in the pooled water--will do just that, float.

This will interfere with the ability of Equal to optimize the given tire in the way that the tire dealer or fleet had intended when installing the product. Simply, this means that although Equal will never damage the tire in any way, if it is in contact with large amounts of water, it cannot perform its job.

Again, it is important to reiterate, that in most cases, moisture will evaporate due to the heat build up in normal driving, and once the moisture has evaporated, Equal will perform as it originally did.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Agree with the need for good valve caps. Long ago, I removed a tire that I thought had a slow leak and had it checked at a tire store. They submerged it in a tank of water and pronounced no leak, but said it earlier probably had a partially stuck valve stem and a plastic valve cap. The guy said the plastic valve caps are no good, and to use metal versions with a gasket inside.
Yup, the plastic is called dust caps, and will not prevent an air leak if the valve core fails.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Completely NOT true.

Equal does not absorb moisture in any manner. Equal is a plastic polymer granule, and thus water or moisture will not change its composition.

Moisture that accumulates inside the tire will evaporate due to normal driving conditions and therefore is in contact with Equal for a very short time. Equal, when in contact with large amounts of water--to the point where it is actually floating in the pooled water--will do just that, float.

This will interfere with the ability of Equal to optimize the given tire in the way that the tire dealer or fleet had intended when installing the product. Simply, this means that although Equal will never damage the tire in any way, if it is in contact with large amounts of water, it cannot perform its job.

Again, it is important to reiterate, that in most cases, moisture will evaporate due to the heat build up in normal driving, and once the moisture has evaporated, Equal will perform as it originally did.
Where does that moisture/water go? Once introduced, it cannot escape unless you have an air leak.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #32

Commercial Member

Smile Does your soup dry out in your cupboard???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Where does that moisture/water go? Once introduced, it cannot escape unless you have an air leak.
I have same question. The air chamber is a closed system. Thinking the water will evaporate from the tire air chamber is like thinking the moisture in containers in you cupboard will evaporate. I guess i just have never waited long enough for a can of soup to dry out
Old 01-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I pulled my "Gator Caps" off today and the one that almost always leaked after checking had about a dozen tiny white particles (about the size of salt) on the inside. I left the Gators off and put metal caps with gaskets back on.

I assume the white particles is the balancing powder and I must not have correct valve stems to keep the powder from clogging the valve. There is no red mark or line that I can see on the valve stem. I haven't talked to Camping World yet. (They installed the tires.)

The back tires were within .5 lb of the correct inflation.

Thanks for all the info and responses.
I'm looking forward to a TPMS.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Larry,

If it were me I'd spend the money to get rid of the powder, install new Borg stems onto the wheels and put Dyna Beads inside. You would be good for the life of those tires until they need to be replaced, 6-7 years out or so.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
You can check the tire pressure every morning before you head out but I do like the ability to monitor the tire pressure when traveling. I was traveling down the highway and the TPS alert came on and I was able to get off the highway check the tire, confirm, it had lost air and then head to a tire shop. Without a TPS I would have lost that tire. Works for me.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #36

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
Well, I pulled my "Gator Caps" off today and the one that almost always leaked after checking had about a dozen tiny white particles (about the size of salt) on the inside. I left the Gators off and put metal caps with gaskets back on.

I assume the white particles is the balancing powder and I must not have correct valve stems to keep the powder from clogging the valve. There is no red mark or line that I can see on the valve stem. I haven't talked to Camping World yet. (They installed the tires.)

The back tires were within .5 lb of the correct inflation.

Thanks for all the info and responses.
I'm looking forward to a TPMS.
IMO If Camping World installed the balance powder it is their responsibility to also use the proper valve filters.
Here is a post showing just how small a particle can allow air to leak past the valve core.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:16 AM   #37

Commercial Member

My review of "Gator extensions.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:30 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
IMO If Camping World installed the balance powder it is their responsibility to also use the proper valve filters.
Here is a post showing just how small a particle can allow air to leak past the valve core.
I am going to contact CW (Chattanooga) and see what they say.

My front valve extensions are the Alligator brand, just like the picture in your review, but they did not have caps and the metal caps I bought for the back tires do not fit, nor do the plastic dust cover caps. There must be a special cap for the Alligator extensions.

Caps would not have solved my leaking problem (but they may have helped) since the powder is apparently the problem. The powder passed through the valve core into the Gator extensions. This means I still have the problem, it is just not leaking right now. I was able to put metal caps on the stems without the Gators.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #39

One thing I found was if the stems are at the top of the rim when checking pressure you don't get the stuff in the valve cores or the gator extensions normally, I have these also. It could still happen but nowhere near as often. I had the same problem with my new tires last year but couldn't find filtered valve cores, if anyone has a place to get them let us know.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 05:41 PM   #40
WDW

OK ... I'm new at this, and I appreciate the importance of proper inflation. But short of damage to a tire I would think daily checking of PSI is more of a cause for air loss. Or is there something I'm missing? There seems to be a real fixation on this topic. I doubt school bus drivers places as much emphasis on this topic than RV's do.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #41

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
OK ... I'm new at this, and I appreciate the importance of proper inflation. But short of damage to a tire I would think daily checking of PSI is more of a cause for air loss. Or is there something I'm missing? There seems to be a real fixation on this topic. I doubt school bus drivers places as much emphasis on this topic than RV's do.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
You're correct. Too many fixate on daily air checks. Sticking valves can cause air loss. Since I run TireTrakker TPMS I don't do a manual air check unless the readings go outside the normal variation range of 3 to 5 psi around my "Set" pressure of 70 psi. Other than the start of my travel season, I may only do a manual check once a season.

Now if you don't want to run a warning system then a manual check each travel day is the only way you can know there is a slow leak. If you wait till your "thumper" bat makes you suspect low pressure or your IR gun makes you suspect high temperature you may already be too late and might have done permanent structural damage to the tire and shortened its life by many months or even years.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

You're correct. Too many fixate on daily air checks. Sticking valves can cause air loss. Since I run TireTrakker TPMS I don't do a manual air check unless the readings go outside the normal variation range of 3 to 5 psi around my "Set" pressure of 70 psi. Other than the start of my travel season, I may only do a manual check once a season.

Now if you don't want to run a warning system then a manual check each travel day is the only way you can know there is a slow leak. If you wait till your "thumper" bat makes you suspect low pressure or your IR gun makes you suspect high temperature you may already be too late and might have done permanent structural damage to the tire and shortened its life by many months or even years.
You can take what Tireman9 stated above ALL the way to the BANK.

He is absolutely 100% correct in regards to setting and checking air pressures plus if running without any TPMS.

However, "You can't teach an Old Dog any new tricks unless they are really smart." Use your intelligence wisely.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires