Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I dread checking air pressure in MH tires.

Always before I leave on a trip or when I move from one place to another I check the air pressure in all my tires. The back 4 are usually not a problem, but the front tires with the extensions almost always stick and leak. If I’m down 5lbs and the stem sticks I end up having to add 20lbs to get back to where I should be. I've even tried a squirt of WD40 and it didn't seem to make much difference.

Is there an inexpensive solution to this problem?
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2015, 06:57 PM   #2

Have you tried removing the stems and replacing with new ones? Go to a tire shop for replacements and explain your problem to them.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Do you have beads in the tires?
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Larry,

I solved that problem with my tires & wheels by installing 6 new solid valve stems that are the proper length for that wheel and point in the correct direction.

I chose Borg Valve Stems.

Since the inside dually for each side is very long I also purchased a doughnut that fits my Accuride wheels which supports the long stem from the inside dually.

It is now very easy to get my digital air pressure gauge onto each valve stem for checking and adjusting air pressure. Plus it makes installing each Tire SafeGuard TPMS sensor prior to getting on the road very easy.

Give them a call and talk with them about what your requirements would be for your rig.

Mine have been on for 5 years without any problems or leaks.

Trust me you won't be disappointed!

I also use Dyna Beads in all of my tires on the coach and my Rolling Garage trailer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Have you tried removing the stems and replacing with new ones? Go to a tire shop for replacements and explain your problem to them.
I haven't tried this. It would probably be the simplest and cheapest solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
Do you have beads in the tires?
I didn't know about beads until I googled them. Seems like a good thing, but do they interfere with the valves closing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Larry,
I solved that problem with my tires & wheels by installing 6 new solid valve stems that are the proper length for that wheel and point in the correct direction.
I chose Borg Valve Stems.
Since the inside dually for each side is very long I also purchased a doughnut that fits my Accuride wheels which supports the long stem from the inside dually.
It is now very easy to get my digital air pressure gauge onto each valve stem for checking and adjusting air pressure. Plus it makes installing each Tire SafeGuard TPMS sensor prior to getting on the road very easy.
Give them a call and talk with them about what your requirements would be for your rig.
Mine have been on for 5 years without any problems or leaks.
Trust me you won't be disappointed!
I also use Dyna Beads in all of my tires on the coach and my Rolling Garage trailer.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
This sounds like the permanent solution, but I think I will wait until I replace my tires.

Thanks for the replies,
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I check my tire pressures from my easy chair. TPMS from TST. Bought it for the safety, then found the convenience to be a biggie as well.

I seldom have to add air to any of my tires. Something is wrong if you have to do so. IMHO
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 PM   #7

me two love my TPMS from TST they also r great also on the towed don't have to worry about what's going on back there
Old 01-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #8

I also run 10 TPMS from TST with a repeater, great product and great service.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #9

Before replacing the entire valve stem see if you can just replace the spring loaded core. They screw in and out using about a $2.00 tool

I didn't know about beads until I googled them. Seems like a good thing, but do they interfere with the valves closing?

If you do have balance powder you should have cores in the valve stems that have filters on them to prevent the powder from getting into the valve mechanism. Valve stems with filters generally have a red band around them for identification. If you remove them the cone shaped filter and a red band on the core is also evident.

If you bought the coach used it's possible that the previous owner had balance powder installed, but didn't have the proper valve stems installed. If that's the case you can get the proper valve cores and bands for the stems at almost any tire dealer
Old 01-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems are NOT designed for setting proper air pressures in tires.

They are a simple device to monitor the air pressure of a tire based on its Baseline Aim Setting.

You should use a decent calibrated tire pressure gauge to set the COLD air pressure aim in each tire. Then set the same aim into your TPMS.

Now if your tire psi goes down a certain percentage it will set off an alarm warning you of a potential problem.

Most sensors are not accurate enough and I personally would not rely on it for MY coach tires. Mine and my family members lives depend on it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:22 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I as well have a tire pressure monitoring system on my coach. When I installed it I was curious about the accuracy of the system. I checked each tire and then installed TPMS. Readings were all with 2 PSI of my digital gauge. I as well can check pressure from my driver seat now. After a year, I rotated tires, and rechecked accuracy. Still within 2-3 PSI. Close enough for me, and a lot less trouble. Without TPMS, most people don't check tires at all, with TPMS I check every day before we leave. One of the better deals for the money you can add to a coach.
johnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:26 AM   #12

What do you have for caps? Mine has caps that don't require removal to add air and I find that one in particular will stick and slowly leak. I use leak detection liquid after checking each tire but my plan this summer is to add a TPMS to reduce how many times I need to depress the valve stem core.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:30 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

Before replacing the entire valve stem see if you can just replace the spring loaded core. They screw in and out using about a $2.00 tool

If you do have balance powder you should have cores in the valve stems that have filters on them to prevent the powder from getting into the valve mechanism. Valve stems with filters generally have a red band around them for identification. If you remove them the cone shaped filter and a red band on the core is also evident.

If you bought the coach used it's possible that the previous owner had balance powder installed, but didn't have the proper valve stems installed. If that's the case you can get the proper valve cores and bands for the stems at almost any tire dealer
I totally agree!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TPMS from TST. I have the 507 system which allows flow through airing of the tires. Set once with my gauge and from then on let the system do the work. I check the tire pressure each morning with coffee from the drivers seat. If a tire loses pressure on the road, an alarm goes off.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires