Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

I finally Gave SpeedCo a Try

Dusting off the coach for summer and it was due for service. Rather than take it to the local Freightline Oasis shop I normally use I thought I'd give SpeedCo a try. I'm 20 miles west of Phoenix and they're about 50 miles east of Phoenix so it gave me a chance to stretch the coache's legs too.

I guess overall I would grade the experience about a "C+".

I had to wait my turn which took about an hour. Not a problem. They didn't have the secondary fuel filter for my Cummins 400ISL so I still need to do that myself. I wasn looking forward to getting down in the pit with the tech to get a good look at the belly of the beast but once I saw that the entire floor was covered with puddles of oil and greese, I took a pass.

On the positive side, they were very nice folks... I love their system of checks and balances which seems to require that they either have the customer verify that they are torqueing critical bolts correctly or have co-workers verify their work to avoid oversights.... I didn't have to leave the coach all day... and the cost was great, $250 for LOF chassis service and Onan generator service.

I will certainly use them again but will probably alternate between them and Freightliner in some fashion.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a former ser. mgr. i agree with you about the alternating between dealers. This way you get different people with different quirks doing the job. With me it was double checking the old filter seal. Making sure they didn't forget the drive shaft universal lube points etc
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Maybe have Winnebago send you a diagram of the lube points, go to Kinko and have it enlarged, cover it with acetate. When I handed it to the tech, he said "That's great !".

Though I wouldn't want to, the floor at Speedco in Las Vegas could probably have been eaten off of. In other words, very clean. And they had all the filters, took an oil sample for testing and strip tested the anti-freeze.

Cummins and Freightliner shops are independantly owned. Just like Speedco, you take your chances.

Again, I refer you to the first paragraph above. It solves a lot of problems. The same thing is in your manual but the lettering didn't enlarge too well.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Sorry, I meant Freightliner, not Winnebago.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks so much Kerry. That's a great suggestion.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 05-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Did they take the weight off of the front end and turn the steering wheel to grease the king pins?
jsabatinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsabatinos View Post
Did they take the weight off of the front end and turn the steering wheel to grease the king pins?
No! They had no way to lift the coach since it was sitting over "the pit" and they certainly never went inside to turn the wheel.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
RickO,
Next time it's time to go to speedco call them in advance to make an appointment. If they say it's not necessary tell them you want to make sure they have all the parts and filters for your unit when you get there.

I also don't go under the rig but I ask them to remember how many grease points they service because I'm going to ask for the total when they're done.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #9

Lube Job

While having your motorhome serviced, if it has a 3126 Cat. make sure they grease the fan hub. This is a grease fitting that never seems to get a few pumps of grease.
sportscoach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscoach1 View Post
While having your motorhome serviced, if it has a 3126 Cat. make sure they grease the fan hub. This is a grease fitting that never seems to get a few pumps of grease.
Depending on what year the motor is, there might not be a zerk on the fan hub.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:52 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Does my C-7 05 have the zerk fitting?
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone tried the Speedco in Wytheville, Virginia?????
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Because View Post
Does my C-7 05 have the zerk fitting?
The info I have says that 3126E Serial #HEP15357 & above, and all C7s, and all side radiator have NO fan grease fitting.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #14

As a former expedited D unit owner who used speedco for a few times, my advice would be to use them only as a last resort. Slow,never had all of the fuel filters needed, rounded off the edges of the drain plug using the wrong size socket, and in Oak Grove Mo. went there twice and left both times with a tear in my left inside rear tire, it was kind of strange how that happened.
phrrent is offline   Reply With Quote