Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #15

Ray and Rick - Yup it's an attachment that goes on the vacuum and allows you to get down in the dryer vent. It extends the hose by a few feet and is a flat hose attachment. Like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3587523099.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	49418

As for the propane tank here's why I think I need to clean it up and give it a coat of paint. =)

Name:	image-4039379190.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	49419

Name:	image-744070229.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	49420

Name:	image-4061292558.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	49421

Name:	image-476280145.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	49422

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
If your furnace is like most it runs off 12 volts and will kill your house batteries fairly quick if you are not plugged in.
Great story.

Don G.
That is why I upgraded the circuit board. Originaly if it did not fire it would still run the fans all night and suck the batteries down. Now after 3 tries it will shut off the fans.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Propane Safety and Use
Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ray, I think she's talking about a special vacuum cleaner attachment designed to snake into a clothes dryer vent for cleaning. She's going to use this to clean out the heat registers.

Rick
OK, got it. Thanks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caplad View Post
Thank you for the link-to quote from it:
Today’s motorized coaches generally have a propane container referred to as a propane tank. This tank is hung from the underneath of the RV. Since 1983 stop fill devices have been required on these tanks. This stop fill device is much like an OPD. The pressure relief on these containers is set to relieve at 312.5PSI. There are no re-certification requirements for this type of container.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #20

Your plan to paint the LP tank is prudent, although it does not require a planned inspection, if it shows signs of severe pitting which might weaken the metal it can be denied re-filling.
I've got to buy one of those dryer vent hoses you enlightened me about. Dryer fires from plugged hoses are not uncommon.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 PM   #21
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
That is what I said : DOT calls it a TANK when it is mounted horizontally. And they call it a cylinder when it is vertical.
That's not correct. DOT is a code the container is manufactured to and has nothing to do with how the container is mounted. A DOT container is not to be permanently mounted. The term "cylinder" is not the "official" term for a DOT container however, the word cylinder has become acceptable for all DOT code containers regardless of how they are mounted. My reference for my statement is my 25 year career in the propane industry and NFPA #58 (the code governing manufacture of DOT and ASME containers).
What you call a container in your particular locale may be as you stated.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #22

Thanks everyone for your responses so far!

Questions:
1. Are there any other heater components other than: the outside heater panel/burner (hydro flame corp unit pictures from before), the three floor vents and the inside wall thermostat?

2. Under the oven (not visible unless I pull out the drawers) in the floor is a large grate that clearly has an opening into the floor. Is this the air return? Or is the vent in the middle of the floor that doesn't have an open/close the air return?

3. When everyone is saying "heater fans" I'm assuming you all mean the circular fan chambers that are found behind that main printed black panel that says Hydro Flame Corporation accessed from outside of the RV. Please let me know if I've misunderstood and there's fans elsewhere.

4. Now that you've seen pictures of the propane tank - if it were your tank would you paint, repair (change gaskets) or replace?

If paint, any advice before I paint the LP tank? My plan is:
- Turn off the outside valve. Tank is less than 1/8 full according to the gauge.
- Test for any leaks using a soapy water solution in a spray bottle as outlined on this link.
- Only hand sand or wire brush (slowly) to remove all loose rust areas - no power sanders.
- Wipe tank down to remove all dust and let dry (or blow dry with metro dryer - no heat).
- Tape off all things that I don't want painted. Make sure that no valves are completely closed off in case they need to vent.
- Make sure the tank has plenty of time to dry before nightfall (temp change for tank and paint)
- Still researching primers/paints. So far I have Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer, Rust-Oleum Primer for Rusty Metal, or Sherwin Williams Kem Bond HS Universal Metal Primer - basically an Oil Based Primer. Then two coats of Acrylic paint in Silver - need to research.

Heater To Do List - Addition:
From the comments so far on starting up the heater in addition to my main list I should also:

- Remove the heater from it's casing and fully clean it out to make sure there isn't anything inside that can start on fire. To do this I've found this video on YouTube that has a full disassembly of a similar unit. I LOVE this kind of stuff (taking things apart and cleaning them and re-assemble) and this is not an appliance I should not be overly cautious about.

- Really make sure that the vents are FULLY cleaned. Blow them out with my metro dyer while I have the heater taken apart?

Again... not sure what I'd do without all of you. Thank you for your time!

Lorelei
Old 11-08-2013, 03:04 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
As far as I know, you should only have the furnace, some vents and the thermostat

Best thing to do would be to get the make and model and get the manuals related to proper operation.

Sounds like you have the cleaning issue under control

As for the tank, I did mine a couple of years ago and although it wasn't as pitted as yours, I did essentially what you are suggesting.

Wire brushed to remove all loose paint and surface rust
Washed it.
Taped off all parts that I wanted to keep unpainted (labels mostly)
Then used a Tremclad Silver and hand painted the tank. Looks far better now than it did.
I won't say you need to be completely mindless of the corrosion but there are an awful lot of old ASME tanks out there and since they don't require inspection, that suggests strongly that it would have to be EXTREME corrosion to weaken the tank.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #24

Found the users information manual and the instructions. I also found information that leads me to believe there is an Artic Package heater installed. I do have the button inside the kitchen cabinet next to the hot water tank that says "Artic Package". The instruction sheet says: Ultra-Heat, Inc. - Operational Instructions for the SSTH Heaters. =)
Old 11-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #25

Hiya!

Propane tank tested, washed, sanded, wiped and now taped.

Should I tape or paint this panel?

Name:	image-1095341250.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	49539

Full prep photo:

Name:	image-2826474718.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	49540

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2013, 01:37 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
kind of looks like it might clean up a bit with a bit of sandpaper. Aluminum isn't it. If so, tape it, if not, paint it. Keep the info on it. Maybe a close up photo.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #27

Did you remove the tank for cleaning and painting? If you do you can have it media blasted and powder coated and chemically cleaned inside. Then it will outlast all of us.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #28

Maybe it's just me but having no Artic Package would mean the underside of the rv is not sealed or enclosed and the water and waste water tanks are not heated.

I guess I think all rv's have a heat source, especially when there is a thermostat

Tags
heater