Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

I found a heater on my RV! Now what?

Hiya!

I'm doing a renovation on a 1995 Firan Raven. In 2004 when I invested a full 45 minutes into the selection, inspection, purchase and driving off with this RV the salesman told me that it didn't have an Artic Package installed. I said OK and assumed that meant that even though I had a thermostat and floor vents - I didn't have a heater or a way to heat the RV in cold weather. I didn't plan on traveling in the winter much, so that was OK with me.

I went on several trips where I ran a radiating heater and a small blow heater to heat the rig when necessary.

Today, 9 years later, I was wondering what this one panel was for on the side of the RV. I thought it was for the oven since it is all metal and appears to have a heat escape, but doesn't quite line up with the oven. I open it and find... a heater.

I share this information because it's reality, it's funny, I'm learning and to communicate that my experience with an RV heater prior to today is zero.

I've now read up on a general RV heater and its process and from my research it seems like I need to do the below checklist to start this up.

Is there anything I'm missing to set up, troubleshoot or check before lighting this thing up?

Any precautions I should be aware of?

Will this start/run on Battery, or do I have to have the generator on or be plugged in?

HEATER TO DO:
- Paint the propane tank so someone will fill it. (rusted!)
- Get propane in the tank (it's under 1/8 right now)
- DONE - Blow out the heater area, remove the white connector thing and blow that out to make sure it's clear of dust and there's no other cobwebs or items that could prevent the pilot from starting.
- DONE - Check all connections and make sure they're all tightly connected.
- DONE - Make sure that the switch on the heater is turned to ON. (It was ON, I've turned it OFF for now)
- Clean out the floor vents since there's stuff in there from the renovation and 9 years.
- Use the dryer vent vacuum hose attachment to try to clean out any other dust or items down in those vents (I've never used them and can only imagine what's down there). Are there any other areas where I can gain access to do any other vent clean out?
- Have the carbon monoxide detector turned on and stopped its initial beeping.
- "Bleed" (right word?) the gas lines of air by turning on the stove top, and turning on the hot water heater
- On the thermostat turn the little lever to ON and set it to a temp higher than the inside temp of the RV.
- Listen for the pilot to light up and air to begin blowing from the vents. If it doesn't light up, then turn it off and turn it on again.

Anything else? =)

Thank you all for your time! =)

Lorelei
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

That's funny!

As I read your post, I was thinking "no big deal"... then I got to the part about it being NINE YEARS.

I'll let the others chime in on the care and feeding of your heater. We try to stay in warmer climates too and, even though we have both heat pump and gas furnace, we usually opt for the electric space heater too because it's so much quieter.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Who made your heater? Suburban? Atwood?
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
You should start off with taking it out of the RV and out of its sheet metal covers and clean it out-mice and wasp love to make nest in them. And if any of that stuff catches fire you can be in a world of hurt. Check that the fans are clear.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

Excellent question! Here's my evidence:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2280276548.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	49406

Name:	image-3630527531.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	49407

Name:	image-2468858807.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	358.3 KB
ID:	49408

Name:	image-413832904.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	49409
Old 11-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #6

Here's the thermostat inside. I'm not aware of any other heater parts except for the floor vents.

Name:	image-1080864752.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	49410
Old 11-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #7

Sounds like you've done an excellent job of learning about your propane furnace. I'm confused about your comment for using the dryer vent vacuum hose, doesn't sound right?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I'm confused about your comment for using the dryer vent vacuum hose, doesn't sound right?
Ray, I think she's talking about a special vacuum cleaner attachment designed to snake into a clothes dryer vent for cleaning. She's going to use this to clean out the heat registers.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Our 87 heater takes time to run after the thermostat turns on. About a min. If it does not "fire" it will shut down, but it may or may not turn the fan off. I up graded the electronics in ours last year and now it will shut off the fan after 3 tries to fire up (run).
Old 11-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your furnace is like most it runs off 12 volts and will kill your house batteries fairly quick if you are not plugged in.
Great story.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #11

Painting your LP tank probably won't be enough to get it filled, unless the operator isn't too bright. I'm willing to bet the existing LP cylinder is way over due for hydro test.
You'd likely be money ahead if you simply buy a new tank (around $500.00 depending on size, etc), though you could get an extended stay. That would allow you to connect an external LP tank (of any size) and run off that whenever you are parked.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Our 87 Propane TANK (it is a horizontal mounted to the chassis frame) is original and does not need a inspection. If you had a 20# CYLINDER (like on a BBQ grill) that is vertical mounted you do need a inspection. Ours was made by Manchester tank and came with a life time warranty. But yes paint it up just to keep it nice. The DOT has LP tanks listed as not the same as LP cylinders.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
Our 87 Propane TANK (it is a horizontal mounted to the chassis frame) is original and does not need a inspection. If you had a 20# CYLINDER (like on a BBQ grill) that is vertical mounted you do need a inspection. Ours was made by Manchester tank and came with a life time warranty. But yes paint it up just to keep it nice. The DOT has LP tanks listed as not the same as LP cylinders.
All DOT cylinders are not necessarily mounted vertically. With an internal valve mod they can be mounted horizontally. I.e. cylinders on fork lifts.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
All DOT cylinders are not necessarily mounted vertically. With an internal valve mod they can be mounted horizontally. I.e. cylinders on fork lifts.
That is what I said : DOT calls it a TANK when it is mounted horizontally. And they call it a cylinder when it is vertical.

Tags
heater