Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #1

I hate cold feet * **

Just recently I found out that I have/had a furnace duct outlet pointed at and inches from the base of the co-pilot's seat. I don't drive where it gets cold enough to run the furnace while driving, but when sitting at my dinette while camped, my feet get cold. Wool socks and fleece boots don't help that much. I have a very old, (the picture on the original box is Rita Hayworth era) 1944, 65 watt heating pad that works fine on my MSW inverter, but I thought this would be a better way to use the wasted heat and they point right at my dinette base.

I was going to paint the 2" soffit vents I got from Lowe's to match the other vents, but I was fresh out of brown rattle can paint. They don't look as ragged as they do in the pictures, but I did have to bend the fins outward as they were very thin slits. If they blow downward too much I can cut out the fins and replace them with coarse wire screen. The whitish strips are 1/4" plywood I put above and below the holes for strength.

There was plenty of excess furnace flex hose and I had everything but the PVC "T" and vents at home. I don't know where or when I got the 2" aluminum flex tubing, but it snuggly fit on the vents and in the black vacuum hose adapters on the "T" and I had just enough of it. The vents are held in with sheet metal screws and tiny retainers I made. The adapter to the furnace hose is a large tuna can with a carefully cut hole in it. It and the vacuum cleaner adapters are secured with latex caulk.

* Some assembly required
** Batteries not included.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Tuna can?

Good job and I hope your feet are warm now.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 PM   #3

Maybe... Coulda been chicken. Whatever... it fit perfect and was clean.

Thx, but it was hard to tell if it works. It was ~80°s today. It did blow hot air when I tested it.

Forgot to add - To drill the 2 1/4" holes without damaging the fabric, I removed some staples, pulled it back and slid a piece of sheet metal between the foam padding and the fabric. I then cut some slits in it and the tubing and the vent fit perfectly.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I would suggest you try to shorten the flex tubing between the source and the Tee. The straighter the run the more air that will be moved.

Kinks and turns just ad to the restriction of the flow.

I love the ingenuity of what you used as it looks well thought out. The Tuna Can dofer was classic.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:34 AM   #5

Good idea and it won't loose as much heat. Most of everything I do is reversible. If it doesn't work out, I could put tweeter in the holes. One of the dash radio speakers is right above the couch and I have them tied into my TV for a poor man's surround sound. I'm hoarder, but I'm good at it. No telling how long I had some of those parts.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #6

Space heater. 20 bucks.

Boom!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Great Job Dunner!
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #8

Thx Kent.

Always dry camp with two T-105 house & small (400 & 600w) inverters for TV and laptop.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #9

As the Possum suggested, I cut ~3' off of the furnace feed hose, and bent the vent fins so they are now pointing directly at my feet. There is a difference of ~10° under the seat and a non-heated area.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Excellent! Great Pics Dunner!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #11

My rambling isn't all that clear, so I try to post pics to help explain what I'm trying to convey. I try not to get too close so you can see my boo-boo...

Old 01-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #12

Maybe in my next life I'll modify one of these to make my manifold.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
I was thinking maybe using collectors off a set of headers.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice mod ... been thinking about moving our forward facing duct, or maybe teeing it off and directing another duct into the living space in a similar fashion.

We've done some cold weather, winter camping the last 2 years and I'm not sure that the forward facing duct - pointed at the back of the passenger seat - does much for the front of the motorhome at all.

One of our 2 Labs does have his bed in between the drivers and passengers seat, and it can get chilly over there. So I run reflectix insulation across both undersides of the dash (in addition to having filled in all the medium and small size holes under the drivers side that let in nasty drafts) and I've also wrapped the metal seat bases in reflectix insulation. The seat bases really radiate the cold and with the insulation, it helps noticeably. To direct some heat towards Brody's bed, I have another piece of reflectix that is front of that forward facing vent that helps to redirect that warm air towards his bed between the seats. Maya sleeps on her bed that fits in the area next to the sink.

But, all that said, I would bet that we could make better use of the warm air by either redirecting it like you, or teeing into the run and sharing it with the forward facing duct.

Hey Dunner, It looks like you have carpet throughout your coach, except for the small U area in front of the stove? Our carpeting ends at the end of the couch, where the stepwell comes up (it's also in the bedroom).

I'd love to pull up our carpet and put down a solid surface with area rugs, but we have a nice tile looking laminate in the kitchen and bathroom that is in great shape, looks nice and is actually our style. And being 8 years old, I am sure it will be impossible to match - and I just think that it would look kind of goofy with either a different tile type pattern, or a wood look pattern in that area just in front of the couch.

Our carpet looked nice for a for a 6 year old rig when we got it, but 2 years of travel with not only the DW and I in and out, but the 2 labs, has really taken its toll on the carpeting.

It looks like you at least have some options if you want to change it out.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote